1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Field vs Trap Remington 870 or 1100 ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hammer1, Oct 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Have a left-hand Remington 870 and LH 1100 -- both field models with vent rib and fixed full choke.

If the field stocks were changed out for factory monte carlo trap stocks, how much functional difference would there be between these original field guns and a gun which came from the factory designated for trap ?

Would a person shooting them in local Sunday afternoon trap get-togethers be severely challenged versus someone using an original factory trap model ?

Hammer

2. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

Other than having 2 beads and a slightly higher and longer stock, they are the same. I have seen plenty of people shoot very well with a standard Wingmaster.

3. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

There is no difference in the action or barrel (two beads noted) ?

Hammer

4. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

Sarge,

So if I am shooting 20,s and 22's, it means that I suck and embarrasing?

I think you are being a might harsh.

I have seen a few guys run 50 straight with the field gun they use for hunting.

I admit a true trap gun is the way to go but it is not the only way to go.

I have never hit 25 straight yet, and I am still having fun shooting trap, although having to deal with grumpy old men with 5000+ dollar guns.

As to the original topic:

Yes, a trap gun will have an advantage over a field gun because the targets are rising as they travel. Trap guns have a higher POI than a field gun so it gives them a better advantage.

Again, I am a novice to this wonderful sport, as I have probably shot at a mere 1200 birds or so since the end of June.

Just go out and have some fun. I am sure someone at the club will let you try out the trap gun they use. Just make sure you have a box of factory loads with you, as some guys will not let you shoot reloads with their trap guns.

I hope you will enjoy trapshooting as much as I do.

Kenny Uhlbeck

5. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

If you can shoot a flat(er)-shooting gun, you'll be fine with a parallel stock.

The beads & longer bbl are mostly hogwash.

Bob

6. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

The 1100 field barrel will not have the protrusion to deflect the shells downward compared to the trap grade. Other than that no difference except for no middle bead which can be installed cheaply on the 1100 and 870.
    Steve Balistreri

7. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

There should be no functional difference in shooting a Trap model vs a converted field model.

There seems to be different views as to the strength of receivers. I have read on this forum posts that claim there is no difference. Were these claims made by people that were truely knowledgeable or only that they knew you could use a trap barrel on a field receiver? Many years ago (1970's) a Remington rep stated that all 12 ga trap and skeet guns were built on MAGNUM RECEIVERS so as to better withstand the higher use these guns would have to endure. Made sense to me. Marc

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    There's a HUGE difference between field and trap receivers: the trap receivers have "Trap" stamped on them.

9. shrek

shrek Active Member

The only difference between and standard and a magnum receiver is the ejector.

The ejector on the magnums is a designed to be a little farther back to handle the 3" shell.

Otherwise the parts are the same, until you get to the recently made super magnums for the 3.5" shells.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

any differace between 1100 trap reciver and 1100 feild reciver

how to improve trap shooting using a remington 1100 12 guage field shotgun

how to tell remington 1100 trap from feild model

remington 1100 difference between skeet and field

remington 1100 vs 870

remington 870 vs 1100

what is the differance between a remington wingmaster and the trap

whats the difference between remington 1100 trap barrel and field barrel