1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

field gun for trap

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by avidtrapshooter, Jun 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avidtrapshooter

avidtrapshooter TS Member

either one would work, the field stock on the 11-87 is barely lower if any lower then there trap stock the trap barrels rib is slightly higher then the field rib other then that there ain't much different. i shoot an 11-87 for trap and almost regret blowing the money on a target barrel and the trap stock, mind you the monte carlo finish sure looks good.
    and as perazzibigbore said an 870 is also a great gun and a less $$$$.

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I shot a REMINGTON 870 exspress for my first year of trap. I did well with that gun. Won bronze class summer league 06 silver class 06 winter league. I bought a Browning XT in january 07. I now wonder why a tortured myself for so long! I think if your not going to shoot alot of trap any gun will do. Our leagues run 16 weeks with 2 highest scores recordered. so i shot 2 leagues at 32 weeks at 50 rounds a week=1600 shells, now i know i put at minimum double that more like 8 rnds a week. sometimes a case on sundays. so ive put 5000 rounds plus. One firing pin, and that was just replaced becouse I had one. I dont see why a field grade 1100 wouldnt hold up. Some i believe of barrel design wont cycle some of the lighter loads. That old 870 has had many the rounds previous to trap shooting. only shot gun i owned and shot until my XT 01/07. Good luck. you could always find a montecarlo stock for your field model. I hve yet to shoulder a 1100 or 870 that didnt shoot well for me.

3. trevorh

trevorh TS Member

over 6000 rounds through my al391 before i retied it only 1 shelll ever failed to fire and i hit the primer again nothing a truly dead primer

4. avidtrapshooter

avidtrapshooter TS Member

its true i have an 11-87 that is at the smith right now for $250 of repairs. if you want something that will rarely if ever break down get the 870 which in my opinion is one of the best most solid shotguns made for the price.

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

you might want to find a older 870 that hasnt been used much. I came across some really nice wingmasters(used) in my search for a project trap gun. I wanted to shoot doubles so I found Browning XT. 870s are so simple and plenty full for parts, never had a 870 not cycle in cold weather.

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

If i had to grab one gun it would be my 870. If you do not intend to shoot trap full time or just for pure fun 870 is fine. but a gun designed and well fitted for trap is ideal for trap. 870 trap models are found used on the cheap side also. when shooting my 870 for trap i use the low recoil loads from remington a huge 1145fps makes exstended shooting with off the shelf 870 a bit more enjoyable. I have 1" kick eez pad on my 870 exspress. Ive seen many hardly shot 870 200 or less. Ask everyone you know who knows someone who shoots you will find a bargin im sure.

7. OhioBob

OhioBob TS Member

jbmOU....

You said.... "I'd say the gun would have around 10,000 rounds or less through it a year.

My friend,... that's a pretty wide range 10,000 rounds being a HUGE number, most likely more than most trap All Americans shoot.

The "or less" part of your statement seems more reasonable. Although I personally couldn't shoot 7, 8, 9, or 10,000 rounds per year with an 870, especially if you're not going to be shooting a lot of trap....that statement suggests to me a lot of field loads and the resultant higher recoil.

An 870 is a great gun...virtually indestructable....but I wonder if you are as durable as the gun? I hope so...

FWIW....you can most certainly shoot trap with a field grade gun...that's the standard advice I give most new trap shooters. Don't get in a hurry to get caught up in the gun swapping syndrome. Spend your hard earned $$$ on ammo and practice...it will pay handsomely in the field as well.

Bob

8. jimx200

jimx200 Member

Broke my first 100 (lord was it really 1969?) with a 870. YOu cannot or will not wear them out!
    That said, I have a early 70's 870 Wingmaster (with the chrome shell lifter) 2 3/4" gun, no barrel or wood, for $175. in excellent/mint condition. It was a field gun that I bought for a project trap gun and probably been shot less then 100-200 rounds. Add a barrel and some trap wood from Numrich and you are set. Drop the XX in email if interested. Jim

9. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

I agree that 870s are great guns, mechanically speaking, especially. Add to that a Monte Carlo stock has seemed to be preferred for trap shooting as their combs are closer to being parallel with the bore.

Regarding "fit": All 870s, Monte Carlo Wingmaster or not, have stocks with inadequate pitch for some shooters. This dimension can cause greater barrel rise during recoil and more importantly, can cause painful cheek slap. With the pitch corrected if necessary and a good recoil padd installed, assuming the comb is at the right height for your facial structure, the gun will last forever and you can expect to shoot it well.

Rollin

10. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

If you want to win at trap, get a trap gun. You want to shoot doubles like Rudy Etchen with an 870, you better practice.

11. Jim Brown (the puller)

Jim Brown (the puller) TS Member

The field stock of an 870 is just that, a field stock. Put your cheek on it a little too far forward and you've raised the rear sight (your eyes) and the POI. Get a little too far back on the stock and you lower POI. If you can be sure of consistent gun mounts, then there is no problem, otherwise, get a trap stock. Fred Missiledine (sp?) shot a skeet stock (essentially a field stock dimensionally) for both skeet and trap and was an all american at both disciplines at the same time. I think he was a Remington pro shooter.

I shot a field grade with a trap stock for several years. The field trigger is very narrow and I couldn't find a trigger shoe to fit it. It's also pretty heavy. I had to replace the action bars when one side broke after 40 to 50 thousand rounds. I could still close it and shoot it, but could not 'pump' it to shoot doubles.

12. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I've installed monte carlo stocks on all my 1187's, so that the POI matches my trap 1187. This wasn't difficult, as plain walnut and black and camo synthetic monte carlo stocks are available. The plain walnut monte carlo stock, intended for a cantilever slug gun, is half the price of a trap buttstock. I've also fitted this particular stock onto my 1187 20ga guns by reducing the size of the tenon that fits into the rear of the receiver. The POI is the same for trap, sporting clays, upland, small game, etc.<br>
    <br>
    As for an 870 vs an 1100 or 1187, I prefer the gas autos because of their significant reduction in felt recoil. In practical terms, I can shoot two or three boxes of shells in an 870 before recoil starts reaching the point of being a distraction. I can shoot an 1100 or 1187 all day long. Literally. Some shooters heavily ballast their 80's, but I do not like heavy trap guns. Especially since I've lost strength in my left arm.

13. reb87

reb87 TS Member

Local trap shooter had a remington 870TC that developed a crack in the back of the ejection port. I did some research and found that it was a known problem. Maybe it was only the TC guns but I dont know

14. ANTRIM UDF

ANTRIM UDF TS Member

Only the TC guns. If you want recoil reduction use an 1100/87, the TC recoil deal is a royal p--- to clean. I added a bit of dense foam and tape to my field stock, worked just fine.

15. lumper

lumper TS Member

If all your going to be doing is hunting and as a backup or occasional trap use go out and get yourself an 870 Express.

16. SOT

SOT TS Member

It wasnt a Remington competion trap 870 with the recoil system, it was a TC trap gun, just a regular 870 with a trap stock and c grade wood. In reference to the cracked 870

17. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

Personally I shoot a Beretta 391 because it has less recoil than the 870. If it weren't for the recoil I'd probably shoot a Model 12 or an 870.

Hubcap

18. Colonel Reb

Colonel Reb TS Member

I shoot Remingtons and they are great. My poor scores are due to my bad eyesight and bad coordination, not anything with the gun. A good shot could win the Grand with a Remington.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.