1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Field Grade Barrel Vs. Sporting Clays

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Desert Hiker, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Desert Hiker

Desert Hiker Member

Help me understand something, Can one use a field grade O/U barrel on the trap, sporting clays and skeet field effectively or is there enough difference between the barrel types that one should use a specific sporting clays barrel? Thanks for any assistance you can provide. Ron

2. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

Usually the field grade barrel is 28" or less whereas the sporting is 30" +. The field grade usually comes from the factory with flush chokes and the sporting, extended.

3. abigbear

abigbear Member

A trap barrel will have a higher rib than a field barrel. I have seen people used field guns for trap and sporting clays and some do well with them and some don't. Gun fitting well and knowing where the gun shoots is most important IMO.

Bruce

4. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

Field barrels work best for sporting most sporting shooters want a 60/40 or 50/50 POI length of barrel is not so important I prefer 28 in in a auto and 30 in a o/u but shoot a 28 just as well as the 30 personal choice once you get a gun to shoot where you are looking.

Search tags for this page

difference between field grade and trap grade

trap barrel vs sporting barrel

trap barrels vs sporting barrels