1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Field Affidavit

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by MGeslock, Sep 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MGeslock

MGeslock TS Member

Does anyone have a copy of the ATA affidavit that needs to be notarized before a field can be approved?

I have searched the ATA site but cannot find one.

Any help is appreciated.

Mark

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

That's because there isn't one, Mark. Just call your state secretary or delegate and see if either is interested and most will just say "Go ahead" after you promise the trap has a functioning interrupter.

Neil

3. Neil Winston

Clearly you and Mark are right, Jimmy.

"SECTION XIII
    STANDARDS FOR TRAPHOUSES, TARGETS, TARGET SETTING,
    GUNS AND AMMUNITION
    A. TRAP MACHINE
    A trap machine, which throws targets at an unknown angle, shall be
    used. All trap machines used to throw ATA registered targets shall be
    so manufactured, modified, or equipped as to interrupt irregularly the
    oscillation of the trap or otherwise assure the unpredictability of the
    flight of substantially all targets thrown.
    Each gun club that throws ATA registered targets must have on file in
    the ATA main offices a signed Affidavit that the trap machines used
    to throw registered targets meet the requirements of this rule. The
    State/Provincial ATA Delegate is responsible for the enforcement of
    this Rule."

I've just never seen one in 25 years, that's all. Does it have to be notarized too? It used to be that the Delegate had to inspect the trap and file the paperwork, and when that went away, I thought the written promise did too. I regret the error.

Neil

4. buzzgun

buzzgun Member

...this was just a test to see if they were reading their rulebook - right?

5. MGeslock

MGeslock TS Member

Sorry Buzz,
    Not a test---I just want to make sure that we were correct.
    The last thing that I want to do is to have shoots disallowed because we did not try to do the right thing.

Thanks to jbbor.

Hope to have an new ATA club in VA soon!!

6. chipking

chipking TS Member

Where in VA are you. I hope all goes well. Contact Andrea Smith and she or a VTA rep WILL come out and certify your field when you get ready. For our second field they measured target speed, height, interrupter, and field dimensions.
    Don't forget to invite them back to a shoot afterwards.
    --- Chip King ---

7. MGeslock

MGeslock TS Member

Fredericksburg.

8. Neil Winston

I was just talking about this with Ray Greb (ex officio) on Friday. He described the above as being standard practice in Maryland - going out to the club and measured all the things Chip King lists. I was thinking at the time "You mean some places they do all that? No one has ever done any of that for generations in Minnesota as far as I know . . . I wonder what they find? No interrupters? Wrong target speed? Below 8 feet or above 10?

Neil

9. vatrap

vatrap Member

Mark,

Andrea Smith checked with me about this at the Old Dominion shoot, she indicated

that she would be willing to take care of it. Please be advised that we will

measure everything necessary, like you I don't want to have a shoot protested

due to incorrect dimensions of the field or traphouses. Let me know when you

plan to be ready, I'd like to drive up and see the facilities and talk to you

about a shoot calendar for next spring, make sure that you have all the

necessary paperwork to have a successful shooting season. Have you applied for

an ATA club number? They may have had one in the past, but I don't know of

anyone shooting registered trap at Fredericksburg in 20 years or more.

If you need anything, send me an email or give me a call.

Mike Jeter

10. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

In the '70's the Hilo, Hawaii Gun Club built four new trap houses with roofs lower than the recommended standard. (I don't know who recommended the standard.) The ATA delegate forced the club to pour a concrete lip on the top of the trap houses so the targets would appear to come out at the proper height. Go figure.

In 1949 the Spokane Gun Club built 16 trap houses, still in use, that were wider than standard - to store more targets - and had to paint areas on both sides of the houses to indicate the area where the thrown angle targets would appear.

11. chipking

chipking TS Member

MGeslock I should have recognized the name my only excuse is old age and early morning. I know that Jon Yagla was involved with helping you guys get set up. And we actually shot a couple of practice rounds there a while back. Since you are only about 6 miles from my house I really hope that you can make a go of this. The Fredericksburg club has a rich history and is a beautiful place to shoot. I enjoyed many Skeet matches there so I am really looking forward to shooting Trap there as well.
    --- Chip King ---

12. lumper

lumper TS Member

It would be great if Fred. Rod & Gun could begin holding registered shoots on there facility but does the club have voice releases? Last time I shot there (earlier this year) they did not have voice release on the trap machines ... at least not on the field I was on and they were still using old leaky machines. Did the voice releases come in with the new machines that were on order?

13. MGeslock

MGeslock TS Member

Sorry for the "old leaky" machines….. We have new super star machines on order that were to be delivered in Feb. 2007.

We do not have the voice releases. We are a primarily a skeet club with 1 non ATA approved trap field. We just completed a second new field.

If we are successful, perhaps, then we could purchase them.

We need to crawl before we run.....