1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Fiction and Fact from Doc's Almanac

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by docbombay, Sep 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. docbombay

docbombay Well known trouble maker

Fiction and Fact from Doc

Fiction and Fact from Doc's Almanac

I am willing to wager that in a lot of ways I am a lot like you. Let's face it; those of us that populate this forum are here for a reason. We like breaking things with shotguns. It is the basic premise of our association. It is our common denominator. But it doesn't end there. We all pretty much have similar belief's regarding gun control and most likely lean to the "conservative" side when politics come into play. And of course the most obvious connection we all share is the inordinate amount of discretionary income we devote to pursue our collective addiction. We are all "Brother's of the Lighter Wallet" members here in our little fraternity. However, at this point it does end.

In one month I will celebrate two years of shooting trap. That fateful October when my buddies drug me down to the gun club to "break some clay" seems like so very long ago. And sometimes, it feels like only yesterday. That is how we differ. You have probably been doing this a long time. You know things. You have memories. You have been places. In other words, you have a history to call on when discussing subjects related to this sport. I don't.

I thought it important to qualify my lowly standing as a "noob" so one might better understand if I inadvertently insert my foot in said "noob's" mouth. But you know, out of the mouth of babes type of thing may come into play here. So take all of this for what you paid for it. You determine the fairness of the deal.

Let's start with this ATA stuff. Nothing like grabbing the bull by the horns for the opening act, eh? I am a member. I pay them. I shoot at ATA shoots. I have received two punches. I am back where I started. Feels like a two yard conga line. WTF is up with this? Now I read that I may be going back for remedial training to the eighteen again. It's like Groundhog Day! Who consults with the ATA about issues like these, Rod Serling?

The only time I ever got a whiff of the Grand at Vandalia was when I was flying in and out of the airport because the rates at CVG were the highest in the country. Never gave it much thought at the time. I looked at it more as a spectacle from above. And now it's gone. It's too late for me. I did make a pilgrimage there. I walked what I could of the grounds by the chain link fence. I looked at all the pictures in the museum and all the displays. For me it was the same as visiting other museums. It was interesting and I enjoyed it. But it created no feeling of loss or nostalgia for me. It was not mine. I didn't belong. My Grand is in Sparta. Blasphemy you say coming from an Ohio shooter! Perhaps, but I will go to Sparta at least once. Can't have the memory without the experience you know.

There are a lot of you reading this that remember Sgt. Joe Friday saying "Just the facts ma'am." Count me in, I remember too. Facts are good, right? You get the "straight scoop" from facts; at least that is what we think. But I also learned in my working career that "figures lie and liars figure" was more then just some idle adage. So when I look at issues I seldom adopt a black and white mentality. To do so in this world of ours today would be naive. So here is my take on facts regarding the issue of declining participation at shoots in general, and in specific, about the Grand. Has the economy played a part in this decline? You bet. Is it the sole reason? Not a chance. Is there more at play here then tough times? Absolutely. Love him or hate him, Dysinger makes a strong case. Even discounting his numbers and factoring a large percentage of the decline as a result of economic conditions does little to overcome his premise. Is the ATA on a positive course to sustain or even invigorate the sport? It doesn't look that way to me. Does it appear that the boys club running this organization represents the best interests of their constituents? Once again, ditto. But hey, that's just me. I'm a noob, remember? What the hell do I know? I am still dizzy from going round and round the twenty yard line.

I think there should be a special section here on the forum with a sticky titled "Hatfields & McCoys." It would be a special place for all of us to visit when we have a hankering to see Dr. Longshot and Big Don hurl insults at each other. It would be a place where "piling on" is encouraged and name calling is mandatory. Oh the delight! What better way to start your mornings with that first cup of coffee and a little forum venom for sweetness. These two may be smarter then all of us put together. Am I the only one around here that sees the grand scheme being perpetrated? These two are parlaying this supposed feud into a cottage industry. What's next at the Cardinal Center? I say a dunking booth! Now that is the way you will make some money!

Well, enough of these senseless ramblings. There are shells to load and grass to mow. That will fill the time until I leave this afternoon to shoot at the club. And once there I will listen to old tales and trapshooter bitching. They always seem to go together. They are the proverbial horse and buggy. And to me it all seems to feel just about right.

But what do I know, I'm just a noob.

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Doc, enlightening yourself with the true history of the sport of trapshooting from beginning to the present will give you a much more clear picture. Knowing the sport from that perspective may help you understand our varied opinions and personal attitudes we all have of our sport? Knowing what changed, when and why rules were changed is all there in our sports history! Only when one has the true historical perspective can one understand all the bickering you write about. Study that history and separate the "fiction and facts" and draw a more conclusive conclusion to our great sport of registered ATA shooting?

Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.