1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Fiber wads or plastic wads?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tevye ben david, Sep 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tevye ben david

tevye ben david TS Member

I reload most of my own ammo and I have been wondering, Does anyone reload fiber wads? I am tired of cleaning plactic out of my chokes and the forcing cones of my shotguns
    Chokes are easy enough, I can us a knife on them and get almost all of it then a stiff brush gets the rest. The bear is the forcing cones! I know that most say to use a bronze brush and a high speed drill or motor tool, but if I use fiber I can eliminate both! I'll just have to find reload data.
    Does anybody have any serious suggestions? Thanks Frank

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You will be returning to the dark ages of shotgun shell reloading. HMB

3. cp

cp TS Member

Are you serious?

4. FlaLagarto

FlaLagarto Well-Known Member

Frank,

Change wads..!! or polish your forcing cone and choke to a mirror finish.

I don't have good luck with Claybuster wads.. they leave a lot of plastic in my choke, so I quit using them. Currently using some Federal wads that don't leave anything behind.

Good luck

5. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

My plastic build up stopped when I stopped using Claybuster wads. So I don't use them any longer. It solved the problem for me.

Bob Lawless

6. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Switch to blue or green Dusters. I quit having plastic build up once I quit using Claybusters and Win AA's. JMO

Wait until you see the lead build up when you use chilled shot and fiber wads. If you want reloading data for those old wads I have it. You are limited to certain powders that are still made.

Wayne

7. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

You might also try a muzzle loader instead. lol lol

Hauxfan!

8. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

You're using a knife to clean plastic out and you want to go to fiber wads so you can go back and clean lead out? Do you use a knife for that too?

9. brdslayr

brdslayr Well-Known Member

I've loaded fibre wads with no ill effects. Definitely more work than using the plastic ones. But when you have a couple of boxes of free ones, who cares if you have the time. No leading if the fibre wads are waxed. Just find some old loading books for data. JW

10. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Start using DownRange wads and the plastic fouling will all but disappear.

ss

11. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

I still have about 30,000 claybuster wads in the attic to use up ok they never left any build up in my P.Bereta 680 Combo gun of course I had my Barrel's Balanced in the past so that must be the problem Ok im sure Jack Seehase is not doing it now day's but if anyone has his patent then let them do it I never had anykind of build up since 1984 ok that was a year after I bought my combo gun but it was balanced right aftert I bought it.

FlaLagarto I guees Claybuster's need to use less Superior plastic then because in the past they was using virgin plastic so maybe they need to go with a by product with it.

Ok I know some with choke tubes have complained but im a fixed type of a shooter but not been shooting much in the last few years ok it wasn't from the plastic build up it was from needing to pay on other stuf instead of lead flying out the end of my barrel.

I can even handle that I got a ton of shot that I paid 10.75 a bag and still have enough to reload it all with but can't afford the other stuff to get it done with like gas prices,target prices,and other stuff ok I have tent will travel in the trunk but pitching it at other events instead of trapshooting for now.

Maybe when I get to be a veteran I will be able to go again!!

Foggy!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.