1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Fiber Optic sights (handgun)

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by starship, Nov 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starship

starship TS Member

Okay, I know this is a trap forum but the range of knowledge is so great I have to ask.

I'm new to handguns, having recently purchased by first and only (Springfield XD-9). Have been thinking of changing the sights to something that would show up a bit better. Initial look found the tru-glo (tritium), nitesiters and hi-viz. Any recommendations on either of these (or others)??

I know I will have to get a gunsmith install the tru-glo. Not sure about the others yet, just started the research.

Geez, this handgun thing is sure different than the shotgun thing.
    Shotgun -- don't look at the sights, don't look at the sights
    Handgun -- Look at the sights, look at the sights
    Geez, make up your mind... :)

As usual, any and all help apprecaited.
    Chuck

2. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

A little logic. The tritium work well but are expensive. If it's dark enough that you need tritium, can you identify your target? Away from home you can identify it by the fact that it's attacking you and that's all the identification you need. In your home could be a different matter. So you need to determine how and where you are going to carry. As far as i'm conserned a handgun for home protection is foolish. Too easy to miss and not enough power. Away from home it's all you're going to have, and if that includes out after dark tritium would be money well spent.

3. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

Fiber optics work really well for some, and irritate others. They give you a big bright dot that draws your eyes to the front sight in daylight. Tritium dots give you sight-alignment in compromised/no light. I've tried fiber-optic and removed them (and on one, the plastic pipe fell off.) My favorite pistol sight is plain black serrated steel, like the Warren Tactical or Heinie Pro. The Warren allows extra light around the front sight, and is the fastest I've used. My favorite tritium sight is the Heinie Straight-8 (above website.) The Straight-8 allows a fast sight acquisition with absolutely certain alignment, and I agree with Wireguy about identifying a target before shooting it. Heinie will install sights on a slide you send them, with fast turnaround. Phil

4. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Wireguys said it as good as can be said.

See I can Be Nice and agree at the same time.

Be careful buying your first handgun and thinking you can protect your self with it, especially if your not handgun proficient. Find a range and a "Qualified Instructor", and shoot the hell out of that pistol before you put your life in it's hands....

I enjoy handguns and have many, even got paid to compete, but I realize that the ability to protect myself begins with my ability and not the pistol.

Good luck...shootin pistols is my favorite stress relief. It's even better than trap, but then, that's just my opinion.....

BTW.....Focusing on the front sight is absolutely necessary to hit anything with a handgun.....never watch the target, or watch it break with a shortgun.

%~)

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    For self-defense tritium night sights are well worth the money. I even use them for night hunting coyotes. If you can see the target, you can shoot it, as opposed to being able to see the target but not your sights. One of the bet shotgun setups is to use something like a Remington 870 slug gun with rifle sights, and install tritium sights.<br>
    <br>
    There are several problems with fiberoptic sights on handguns. One is that in broad daylight they can be too bright. The opposite happens inside dwellings. They can be too dim or not visible at all. Often the dots are overly large. Some of these sights are also quite fragile.<br>
    <br>
    I totally disagree that a handgun is not suitable for home defense, and is even "foolish". That statement is definitely not universal for everyone using a handgun for home defense. In fact, it has been proven for the last 137 years or so that handguns are quite suitable for home defense. So perhaps what was meant is that <i>some people</i> are incapable of using a handgun powerful enough for home defense and they are incapable of shooting it accurately.<br>
    <br>
    Having said that, any new type of firearm is going to require practice before one can be proficient enough with it for defense. And this includes shooting it under low light conditions. You also have to make sure it will function with the defense ammo you intend to use. There should be zero - zilch - nada - failures in a few boxes of cartridges. If there is, switch loads. If the gun won't reliable feed any loads, get another gun.

6. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

If you have near perfect vision, black on black sights are the best for daylight accuracy. If you don't I can't recommend these sold at Brownells highly enough. Part number 902-000-111 made by TruGlo for only a few pistols but you are in luck as that number is for the XD. You may need a gunsmith to install them as the rear sight on some XD's is extremely tight.

These sights are a combination of fiber optic mounted in front of tritium. They are the best of all worlds. The fiber optic works great in daylight and the tritium behind illuminates the fiber optic when ambient light doesn't. So you always can see the dots.

I like them well enought that I have even welded up slides for customers so I could fit a pistol that TruGlo doesn't offer a sight for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to install fiber optic sights on any handgun