1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

FFL transfers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ricks1, Nov 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

I have seen several post asking about the price to transfer a gun. I said I charge $25 . That just changed . Will do no more at any price. Got a gun in from a pawn shop no key and no lock first he can not ship the gun W/O a key and second I can not sell W/O a lock.
    THE GUY GOT A DEAL BUT I GOT THE GUN
    So here is the question for you guys that buy on line . you sent him the money I have the gun and no key who is out? rick
    Oh dont tell me I can get a key ----yes but I didnt ship it and no I aint going to do the leg work

2. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Are you saying you can't transfer a used gun without a gun lock? I thought the gunlock law applied only to new guns manufactured after the year the law went into effect. I guess I don't understand what you are telling us.

3. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

Key for the case maybe - or maybe a gun lock with no key.

4. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

do like my dealer does. He get the transfer fee before he sends his FFL. If there is a problem i am out the price of the gun and his fee.

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

If an individual supplies a secure gun storage or safety device at the time the handgun was pawned, an additional safety device would not be required at the time of redemption. However, if a secure gun storage or safety device was not provided at the time of pawning the handgun, the licensee would be required to provide a safety device at the time of redemption. This would also be true for the return of “consignment” firearms.

Not sure what your issue is???

6. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I have to agree with the post above. Are you saying the gun its self didn't have a look or the case that the gun was shipped in does not have a lock? If the gun didn't have a lock so what. Put one on it and charge the guy who is buying the gun. I don't know the gun laws in each state and its hard to say what state has what laws. Don't stop taking in other peoples gun orders. If you do so your just making the Obama crowd happy.

7. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I know exactly what the issue is. I happen to have a lifelong friend who has had an FFL gun shop for as long as I can remember.

People expect him to handle transfers, be the middle man, intervene in any disputes, in other words take care of all the problems they have for a small minimum fee just because he has an FFL they think he owes them. From what I've seen if I was in his shoes I would just refuse to do transfers for people. It's not a requirement of a dealer. He sure as hell doesn't make money doing it, well maybe a buck an hour at best but then he could have been doing something for his own sales rather than helping someone buy something from someone else. I've been in his store when a guy threw a hell of a fit because the gun HE bought off the internet wasn't what he thought it should be, what is the transfer FFL supposed to do? Make it right for him? Let him rant and rave in his store? Thing is if he says anything then he's the jerk FFL. This is while he's helping a competitor across the country somewhere make a sale that he won't get to.

Not all customers are that way for sure but more and more people are getting pretty demanding of their local dealers since the internet started offering guns. I know they will be the usual bunch come on now and tell how easy it is for the dealers and how $25 is a lot of money to just fill out a little paper work and make a phone call. Oh yeh and how your throw the dealer a bone by buying a box of primers from him if they are cheap enough or maybe a bag of cleaning rags. WOW so generous.

If you could just get a little insight into what an FFL has on the line, the responsiblity he takes for YOU for that fee maybe you would appreciate them more. If things are not right the ATF is going to be on his ass, all for that huge $25. Wow. What are you willing to do for $25? I bet you wouldn't wash the windows at the gun shop for 25 bucks.

8. primed

primed Well-Known Member

I use an FFL that does not sell many guns but does a lot of transfers. Seems to work for him. Guess I would tell the buyer that he does not get the gun until he talks the seller into sending you what you need to do the transfer. Put it back on the buyer and seller where it belongs.

Bob

9. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

98% of our transfers are simple events. We charge $35 and for that small amount, we have to make sure the 4473 is filled out, do the background check, send a copy of our FFL, log in the gun when it arrives, call the customer, deliver to him, make sure he signs the 4473, cross reference the 4473 and log book, log it out, and close out the 4473. Also, make sure we have the ffl on file from the shipper. One or two clowns out of a hundred want to bitch about the cost, don't want us to open "their" package, complain about the condition of the gun they bought, brag about how much they saved over our price or are the same ones who come in, ask fifty questions and have us quote five or more gun prices, and they go buy online.

But, as I said, the majority are nice to do business with. I don't think our price is high enough.

10. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

I have been on both sides of the stick. An FFL dealer for 27 years & now a person that pays $20 for a transfer. I understand all the ramifications here. It is up to the dealer to set the rules before he hands out the paper that brings the gun.
    Do it on paper to save your butt. I ALWAYS send payment & FFL by Certified Mail.
    I put several notices in the letter to address to my attn. I buy only from very reliable web sites or Forums. I try to help my dealer to make up for sales he may lose on me. When shot was $30-35,I sold him 30 bags I got for $19 for his shop. I buy stuff he does not stock or has no interest in. He recently accepted a K-32 4 bbl set for me. Do you think he stocks these. How about my LTX? Or my TM1. Or my S&W pre-26 45ACP. If he did,I would buy it from him because I know his prices are the same or less than what I can buy on line. I just bought 2 Rugers from him at a price I have seen nowhere else. I have left a lot of $20 bills there. It all added up in his bottom line.

11. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

In Tenn, the Dept of Revenue has decided that out-of-state firearms transfers are subject to sales tax. Guess who they want to collect the tax? (groan)

We charge $50, including the $10 TICS fee. Often, the gun is delivered to the corporate address, or we must go to pick it up at the carrier's hub.

As has been said, we get reamed if the gun is not as stated. I have been asked to inspect these firearms at no charge. Some folks do not want us to open the package. Sometimes the gun, if shipped by an individual, does not have a copy of their driver's license, a non-negotiable requirement, and don't forget the deal with the lock for handguns.

If the tax issue is placed on the shoulders of the dealer in Tenn, I figure most of us will stop doing transfers.

What would you do if all of a sudden, you were required to pay 9.25% Sales Tax on that K-80 combo on top of transfer fees?

They are figuring out where to get a value of the firearm. A bill of sale for $10 is not going to make it. The dealer could be liable for the tax if not collected or under reported.

12. capvan

capvan Active Member

I see the day coming when this whole transfer business won't be allowed. You will need to buy a gun from a dealer's "stock" and you will only be able to sell to a "dealer".

Everyone should just be thankful things are the way they are.

I would get the transfer fee every time I handed out a copy of my FFL or faxed it to anyone.

And if there were any arguments I would send the gun back and tell the buyer to haggle with the seller about returning funds.

Bruce

13. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

If you have the guys gun, where is the problem? Just tell him that he has X number of days to provide the necessary lock or storage device and after that you will sell it to someone else. That should scare him into taking action so you don't have to do any leg work.

As for me, I get these cable locks from the Sheriff's dept free.

Then if the gun does not come with a locking device, I throw in the cable lock and check the little box that says "this sale included a locking device."

I suppose I could charge an extra $5 or so for the lock, but since I get them free, I don't feel right about that.

14. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I'm missing something here regarding the gun locks. I buy a few guns every year - new and used - and only one of the last dozen or so came with a lock (and it was a used gun). Just last week, I received a new gun direct from Remington and it did not come with a lock nor did the gunsmith who handles my transfers provide one.

Ed

15. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I very rarely will accept pistols in a transfer like this.

If you state up front your policy about a gun lock, and the gun ships without one, then SELL the buyer a gun lock. Pretty simple, pretty cheap.

I have many gun locks here especially for this purpose. No pistol leaves my shop without a gun lock. That's the law here.

Sell the buyer a gun lock...

I post my comments in thinking that what you originally posted was regarding the absence of a trigger lock and its key or combination. Your original post is, however, pretty vague.

WW

16. 870

870 Well-Known Member

You need to rewrite that post to clarify it. If there is no lock involved, what key are you talking about?

17. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

sorry for late reply
    EE is right In 2005 there was a new law its 5300.42 stateing gun has to be sold with lock system.
    You dont have to use it but it must be sold [or given] with a gun.
    My problem is I am doing a transfer for a guy. {$25}
    I get the handgun it a S&W with the internal lock and has NO keys. I contacted the Pawn shop that sold it and he said " I dont know anything about keys or a lock on gun It didnt have one on it when I shipped it"
    Its kind of hard to remove the lock system dont you think?
    I will do the transfer and give him a set of keys I have but I will not do anymore. Being a pawn gun who knows where it came from. rick

18. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

OK, well it seems to me that you are holding the right bower here....the gun.

Tell the guy that if he WANTS the gun, he will have to get ahold of S&W and arrange for a key. Then when it arrives and he can show you that it works, complete the transfer.

In the meantime, you don't have to feed and water it every morning and you certainly don't have to do the leg work.

19. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Which brand/model of gunlock is it?

I may have some extra keys and I'd be happy to drop one in an envelope to you at no charge.

Whiz White

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.