1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

FFL Transfer/Sales TAX Question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by halfmile, Mar 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Depends on the state.

HM

2. ks5shooter

ks5shooter Member

You have to pay tax on NICS check and transfer fee as they are services done in your state.No tax on the firearm itself.....Don

3. southpark

southpark TS Member

If ownership is being transfered California wants tax collected at the California end on the sale price of the firearm.

4. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Actually, you, as the consumer, are liable for the sales tax payment in many states. Gun purchases from states that have reciprocal sales tax agreements-ex. PA and Ohio are sometimes actively pursued by agents of those states for applicable tax. It is best to make your purchases from states that don't have those agreements!!

5. willing

willing Member

I was told by my FFL that a bill of sale had to be included with the gun or sales tax had to be paid. North Carolina.

Bill

Bill

6. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I would believe that certain states, (like California) will want the sales tax so they can make the welfare recipients and illegal immigrants more comfortable. However, in most states you will be obligated to pay sales tax on the paperwork that your FFL charges to pacify the ATF. I have purchased guns off the internet in 3 states. (Wisconsin, Florida and Arkansas). The FFL holders in each of these states did it the exact same way. They charged me $20 or $25 for processing the transaction, (depending on the dealer), plus the appropriate state sales tax on the $20 or $25; nothing else. No different than buying anything else off the internet. However, I would make my transactions quickly. The Democrats will surely be "eyeing up" making a law for people to pay taxes on out of state items ordered off the internet. Just another form of getting more taxes but maintaining that they did not raise taxes. My opinion... Ed

7. FPBristol

FPBristol TS Member

Willing, someone is pulling your chain. Find another FFL dealer who is honest. Or, if you want, have the seller send a bill of sale for $.05 and pull the chain back. I have transferred guns through at least 4 dealers over the years in NC and have never even heard of such bs. I have always paid a flat fee,usually $10 to $20.

8. Skeeix

Skeeix TS Member

In California it is called a Use Tax.

Clyde

9. oz

oz Active Member

If the gun store charges you sales tax he is a thief. I had one do so and many others not charge. It is your responsibility to pay your benevolent state
    their share of the pie. The gun store puts it in his pocket. oz

10. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

It is my understanding that if you send a check to pay for the gun then there is no sale tax if you buy the gun out of state. If you buy the gun from instate then yes you have to pay tax. If the gun shop sends the check and gets the gun then you have to pay tax. It is my understanding that you do not pay tax on service charges. The fee they charge to receive a gun for you is a service charge. I would some places in town in your area that at times just do service from time to timeand ask them if they charge tax on service.

11. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Ideally the customer should send payment directly to the seller and the FFL transferer then receives the gun, completes the 4473 and charges the usual fee. If the buyer insists on paying the transferer for the purchase price of the gun and having him complete the sale, then someone better pay the tax. Sales tax on transfer fees is not necessary in PA!!

12. Jack Burch

Jack Burch TS Member

As a service to our club members we accept FFL transfers without charge as long as the member does all the work and pays all the fees to the shipping agent. Therefore in Texas there is no tax as no sale was concluded. If however we charge any fees we must charge the sales tax for those fees.

13. willing

willing Member

Bristol
    Read what I wrote. The bill of sale was in the box both times and I NEVER paid a sales tax.

Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.