1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

FFL Transfer frustration

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by goose2, May 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I have done just what you have said many times. The gun only has to be sent to a FFL dealer so they can do a back ground check on the new purchaser. It sounds like he does not want to be bothered by you. There is a easy solution. Find a GOOD FFL dealer. Once you do that, things will work much easier.

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Bob, I was licensed 2 decades ago and much has changed since then. Way more recently I have bought and sold guns and I've always gone from FFL to FFL without a hitch. Reading and listening on this forum, I've come to understand that you may well be correct but wonder why it would be such a burden for the seller to do the sending from an FFL at his end. I'm sure we'll get a better answer from a current dealer....breakemall....Bob Dodd

3. LOWGUN

LOWGUN TS Member

Just went thru a very similar situation. In my state of residence, as was explained to me, the state requires the FFL to FFL transfer. Every state seems to have its own little twist to the law. Mike

4. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Mike: I believe you are right. One needs to check state laws. Personally, I have done what Bob suggests; i.e. I have shipped a gun to an individual in another state without the use of an FFL on my end. (In fact I am doing this now with a Model 12 that I sold to an individual off of this site) However, I had the dealer in the other state, ( who was to perform all paperwork and background checks for the buyer) send me a copy of their FFL. This was done for 2 reasons. If the USPS, ( I always ship guns Priority Mail), needed to see the FFL license relating to the shipping address and to protect myself. I always keep the FFL copy to prove that I did ship the gun to an FFL and not to a private individual. I have done this in 3 states. (Wisconsin, Arkansas and Florida) But again, some states have laws against this. If your state is not one of them, I would look for a different dealer to handle my transactions. I remember in one case where an individual at the gun club I belonged to when I lived in Florida; bought a gun for $2000 and the FFL in Florida charged him sales tax on the purchase!! That was an extra $130 he didn't have to pay. But he didn't know any better. It is possible that the dealer had a good time with the extra $130 + the fee to process the transaction Ed

5. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Bob: I'd do it for you for nothing, if you were in SD.

Can't you find a trap club with an FFL who'd do this for you? We sure would up here.

Email me directly and I'll get a list from the BATF of FFl's in your area.

Whiz

6. joelcramer

joelcramer TS Member

It’s all about the money.
    Why send the extra money on another FFL transfer if you don’t have to.
    It is not just the transfer fee there is packaging fees and the trip to the shipper (if needed).

7. teleskier

teleskier Member

I recently purchased a gun from a private party who sent it directly to my local FFL holder. No problems.

Last night, I made a phone call to another man who had a gun we wanted and he refused to ship private to FFL since I am in California. He got almost rude about it. I was ready to close the deal on the phone. I just can't figure some people out. Mike

8. primed

primed Well-Known Member

Teleskier. I hope that I'm not the one you thought was rude. If so, I apologize.

I recently sent a BT100 to a fellow in California and he was told by several California dealers that it would have to go FFL to FFL, that it was state law. I inquired of the ATF and the California Department of Justice. A month later, the CA DOJ replied via email that there is no state law requiring that it go dealer to dealer and that if it was a sticking point for one dealer, I should look for another dealer in California. They further stated that although it was not state law, each dealer can implement his own policy.

I kept copies of this email from CA DOJ on file if you need to see it.

Bob

9. Diamond Grade

Diamond Grade TS Member

I am the guy who will not under any circumstances sell a gun to a resident from CALIFORNIA or MASSACHUSETTS. They have the stupidest gun laws or dealers that require FFL to FFL. So it is MY choice not to sell. By the way teleskier you didn't tell all of the story. Next time tell it the way it was, if you think I was rude, you should catch me on a bad day. Thanks for the opportunity and as you hung up the gun was sold to a real buyer.

10. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

First, it's up to the FFL. His shop, his rules.

What you're asking him to do is accept a gun from out of state by who-knows and transfer to you. How does he know the gun isin't stolen, reported stolen, or otherwise illegal. Now he's got a headache, you're 10 miles down the road, and the feds are asking him questions about the gun that arrived from 'John Smith, Nowhere USA' on the box.

If it's FROM an FFL, he at least has somebody he can shuffle the feds over to. Don't forget that this is how these guys support their families. Most of them don't stick their necks out for anybody.

11. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Bob: You are correct. It's just like a card game. "House Rules" If I don't like the rules; I walk. The dealer makes his/her "house rules". (Policy) But don't spew forth false information that it is federal law. Now maybe when Hillary becomes president, it will be federal law. But until such time..... Ed

12. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

A handy feature of the gun auction sites like Gunbroker.com and Auction Arms is that you can plug in your zip code and get a listing of FFL holders close to you.
    You can find someone close who charges only a minimal fee.

I once had a local dealer tell me I would have to pay sales tax on a transfer. I never bothered him again.

13. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I just made a deal on a shotgun in Indiana with an individual here on TS. I called several FFL holders here in AZ and was told by everyone of them, they would only accept from another FFL. I can't get in touch with the seller either to find out if he's a FFL holder himself since he wanted an FFL copy sent to him. Kinda in a pickle here since I told the man I'd buy his shotgun. Whatta crock o crap I'm in here. Oh well, it will come out in the wash. Hap

14. lumper

lumper TS Member

If he is requesting a copy of your dealers FFL than most likely but maybe not but probably is either an FFL or his FFL that he is sending it through is requesting it.

I wouldn't worry and I would always feel safer shipping FFL to FFL.

15. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

It is no different than if you had to return your Remington shotgun to the factory for repairs.

It IS legal for anyone to send a registered gun to an FFL dealer, gunsmith, or factory for repairs WITHOUT necessitating the transfer from FFL to FFL.

Your receiving FFL is just being difficult, probably because he did not make a sale.

Whiz

16. coyote268

coyote268 TS Member

Diamond Grade, I cannot understand your reasoning for not selling to California residents. Al you have to do is send it to a FFL licensed dealer, he does the necessary transfer paper work, and the dealer holds it the ten days until the DOJ check is completed. Don't make out California any worse than it is. All a individual has to do is look in a web page like Gunbroker and it will tell them the dealers that will accept shipment from individuals or dealers in their area. Some FFL dealers do charge a little extra for this service and some like Big Five Sporting goods won't be bothered with it. Except for the ten day waiting period, California laws are no worse than most.
    Dan

17. Big Bopper

Big Bopper TS Member

You can check on gunbroker.com and I think gunsamerica.com. Both sites have lists of FFL holders who are willing to handle the transaction. Bob

18. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

Just look for another FFL holder.

Berettaman8

19. ec90t

ec90t Guest

The problem was started by the Feds. Gun dealers are so gunshy about sending and recieving firearms that they just prefer to do FFL to FFL transfers. I don't mind since my FFL takes care of everything. I drop off the gun with the info and phone# of the recieving FFL and he takes care of the rest. He boxes up the gun and takes care of everything. He charges me very little to nothing for his labor. I just pay the shipping and a small transfer fee. Works for me!

Hap,

I hope our conversation today has set you at ease.

ec90t

20. rpw

rpw TS Member

I am an ffl dealer in california, and i don't consider myself weird.
    All out of state transfers are $75. Then there is a $30 DROS fee.
    I charge state tax on the $75 so i can stay in business and keep my state board of equalization license.
    In some states they require you to make money so they can get their share.
    I don't want to bore you with all the requirements in my state because there are some just as bad.
    The problem with some customers is that they think they know more than you about this business because they read it on their stupid computer.
    I'd be glad to transfer for anyone and i don't need ffl to ffl.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.