1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

FFL Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by alvinb, Dec 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alvinb

alvinb TS Member

I want to sell a gun to someone out of state. His FFL won,t accept a gun unless it comes from another FFL. This adds to the expence fo the deal. Why would the FFL not accept the gun from me?

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Probably because he want's to make sure the transfer is 100% legal.

Eric

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Some FFL dealers do this because the seller ( you) promise to enclose a copy of drivers license but fail to do so. Some believe they can't be sure of the origin of gun and seller. I suggest talking to the FFL and offering to email or mail a copy of your ID. It has always worked for me. If that does not work tell your buyer to find another ffl

4. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

The FFL that I have used locally twice this year has the same policy. He told me he will not accept a direct incoming firearm from out of state from anyone other that a dealer is because of the large amount of stolen ID's and fake driver licenses. He doesn't want to take the chance of not being able to validate a personal ID when thee ATF shows up to do their audit of his records. May or may not be a problem, but that is his rules so I play by them.

5. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Send it to the buyer in pieces, the stock in one box, the barrel in another and so forth ... What the buyer does with the pieces you sell him is of no concern of yours ... Make sure you get his or her ID though just in case ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

6. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Stolen guns are often traded on the internet this way. FFL holders bringing in a gun that later turns out stolen will trigger an immediate ATF audit. Happened to me twice!!

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

WPT - it is still not legal to break it down. The reciever is still an item that needs and FFL

8. WGB

WGB Member

Cubancigar2000 has it right.
    Tell him to get another FFL. Most dealers have no problems receiving from a private party and it's perfectly legal.

9. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Or the easy way is Tell him fine you pay for the other FFL also .

10. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

What reciever ..? lol ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

11. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

many have done it in the passed bet you are going to see less from now on I dont do them any more got a hot one and although I didnt loose money It was not worth the hassle
    A guys wife sold the gun and he didnt know it . She sent a copy of His DL and took the money and run. He paid to get gun back and for my trouble

12. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

As far as ATF is concerned, there is no regulation requiring that a gun be shipped FFL to FFL.

If a nonlicensee ships interstate TO a FFL, the federal regulation is satisfied.

From the ATF web site:

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

13. Lobo

Lobo TS Member

DO NOT even consider shipping a frame without FFL. BATF is nothing to fool with. Had FFL for years. Getting very nit picky

14. copper

copper Member

Just because it comes from and FFL does not tell if it was stolen at some point and does the recieving FFL have any libility as long as does every thing by the book. I think its and effort from gun dealers to be the ones buying and selling.

15. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

Copper is right as rain about this.

A lot of dealers would rather sell you a gun that they have in stock than do a transfer, so they create little hurtles to overcome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.