1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

FFL Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by QuillDesign, May 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QuillDesign

QuillDesign Member

So I have never purchased a gun online and I know I have to have the gun shipped to an FFL but my question is how do you go about that?

Do I go to the local pawn, gun dealer and ask if I can have a gun I purchased elsewhere shipped to them?

I am just asking because I don't mind looking like a rookie online as opposed to in person ;)

Thanks

2. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

Call some local FFL dealers and see if they do transfers and find out their procedure and fee.

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Simply call around and ask what the dealer's transfer fee is. You will sound like an old head at this. :^)

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Just what Coach said. I have done it. Shop around as i have found some are wanting to get rich over the transaction and some just want to help.

5. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

You or the dealer you choose, will have to mail, fax or email a copy of their FFL to the seller, the seller will ship the gun to the dealer, and you will pick it up there, using the same routine you would if you purchased it there.

6. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I have seen some FFL holders charge $20.00 for a transfer and another charge $50.00. Call around and ask. Go to the gunshop that you buy things from and see what they will do. Some will not. They can fax their FFL to your seller and he then will fax his FFL to your FFL holder. DO NOT LET THE GUNSHP SEND A CHECK TO THE SELLER. YOU SEND A CHECK. The reason, if he sends a check he will have to charge you sales tax. If you send the check with the address to send the gun to he can not charge you sales tax. He can only charge you a transfering fee. REMEMBER THAT and don't get talked out of it.

I also bought my own shipping gun case that I will mail to the seller for the gun. The reason, I have gotten guns with the barrel sticking out of the box. My case is a heavy duty Aluminum(sp) that you can lock. It has paid for its self ten times over. I use a good I MEAN GOOD combo lock. That way you don't have to worry about a key in the mail. You just have to call the seller and let him know what the combo is.

7. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

Just do a google search for FFL dealer list. Gunboker also has a list of dealers and they used to post the price each charged.

8. locdoc

locdoc Member

Paul,

Ask your local dealers (dealer, pawn shop or gunsmith) if they do transfers. Is yes, how much do they charge.

Most auction sites have a list of dealers in your state that have signed up with them as a "transfer dealer". Some of them may be local to you and be a place to start.

Once your deal is set you will ask your dealer to forward their license to the seller. Could be a hard copy with an original signature, fax copy or email copy. Your dealer will know the requirements. When the seller has your money and the FFL then they will ship to the address on the FFL. Your dealer will notify you when the piece arrives.

Good communications is a must........ contact the seller B4 bidding on an auction or while negotiating a final price in a private sale. The next best thing to a person to person contact is a phone call or two.

You should ask for and receive at least a 3 day NON FIRING inspection of new guns. Usually OK to test fire a used gun.

If you are the least bit uncomfortable in your contact(s) with the seller it may be wise to pass on the deal.

Hope this helps.

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist.

9. shamlin

shamlin Member

Can anyone verify that the gun has to be shipped FROM and FFL and TO an FFL. I am trying to purchase a gun here on-line and the gun-shop that I found is requiring the shipper to ship from an FFL, thus he is incurring additional cost and hassle. This internet gun purchase thing is looking to be more difficult!

10. locdoc

locdoc Member

The gun DOES NOT have to come from a FFL holder. Find another dealer.

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

11. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Are you a member of a gun club? Maybe the club holds a FFL for the benefit of it's members? I just ordered a shotgun this morning that I found on "gunsamerica.com) from a sporting goods store back east. Mailed them a copy of the clubs FFL signed by the club secretary along with a cashiers check for the amount.

12. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

FFL Listing (ATF)

http://www.atf.gov/about/foia/ffl-list.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.