1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

FFL Question/Clarification

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shamlin, May 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shamlin

shamlin Member

I recently purchased a receiver from a gentlemen here on trapshooter. This being my first transaction over the internet buying a gun I was a little hesitant. I went to my local gun shop, paid the $30 transaction fee, filled out the yellow FFL paperwork, sent a copy of the FFL and payment to the seller, and had the receiver shipped to the FFL. The gun shop received it and now won't release it to me because the seller did not use an FFL to ship the receiver. The gun shop claims they cannot give me the receiver until they get a copy of the seller's FFL. The seller claims he does not need to ship from an FFL. Who's right, who's wrong?

2. new loader

new loader Member

Your FFL is being difficult. No law requires sender to originate from FFL. However, the store owner can set his own policy, which has nothing to do with what the law says. Ask him to call the Feds for clarification, because he won't take your word for it. This is from GunBroker guidelines:

Shipping Legalities
    Federal Law requires that all modern firearms be shipped only to a holder of a valid Federal Firearms License (FFL). The recipient must be have an FFL; however the sender is not required to have one. Any person who is legally allowed to own a firearm is legally allowed to ship it to an FFL holder for any legal purpose (including sale or resale).

3. Smithy47

Smithy47 Member

Federal law does not require the sender to provide an FFL, only their name and address to place in the FFL holders bound book. State laws can vary. California has some strange laws in reguard to shipping firearms, hence few FFL holders will deal with California residents. Bob

4. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

First of all: (1) your receiving FFL actually had you fill out the FFL paperwork BEFORE the item was shipped? That really is a bit different. (2) They charged you $30 to "fill out paperwork?" I would have looked elsewhere at that point.

(3) As mentioned abouve, your FFL is being a dick - anyone in the United States can send a gun to an FFL (Calif excepted - must have a CADOJ approved FFL Dealer in CA) for any reason. Think of it this way. You have a Remington shotgun model 870 and it needs fixing. you box it up and simply ship it back to Remington in Ilion, NY to their repair facility. You do NOT need an FFL to do this, because Remington is a manufacturer. Same rule applies to an FFL gunsmith. When I receive a gun in (serial numbered receiver), and I have it longer that a day, I enter it into my PFRB as per BATF.

I get guns in here all the time for people from all over the USA. They are simply gun owners who need a gun worked on. They don't have a copy of my FFL, O don't send them one, and I certainly do not have theirs because they don't have one.

This FFL guy of yours in giving the rest of us a bad name. Who is this FFL? Sorry he has had you jump through so many hoops.

Whiz White<BR>
    S&W Supply Company

5. birddogs46

birddogs46 Active Member

first of all, once i got my receiver, i wouldn't buy nothing else from the dealer that your receiver was shipped to.. all he had to do was record from whom the receiver was shipped, then record to whom the receiver was transferred too, of course u would have to, fill out the forms the atf requires, so they could match it to the entry in his firearms record books.that guy must be proud of his time would prolly take him all of 15 minutes to do the paper work..dk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.