1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

FFL needed to do stock work?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by skeet_man, Mar 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I was thinking about installing recoil pads for some of the local guys to make some spare shooting money, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that even working on stocks (i'd just take the wood, I would never be in possession of any metal parts such as barrels or receivers), i might still need a ffl b/c i'm still technically working on a gun. Is this the case?

2. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

If you are shipping a receiver you must send to an FFL holder. I don't believe that the shipping of a stock or barrel would require an FFL on either end but I could be wrong......if so I've done it wrong in the past!

3. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

I would guess (and only a guess) that as long as you accepted the gun in person it would be OK. You can do a private sale that way so why not a repair? You run into all kinds of laws when it comes to shipping.

Rock

Jim

4. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I would only ever do local work, don't have the time or ambition (yet) to accept mailed shipments.

5. IM390

IM390 Member

I had a part timner tell me he could only do stock work in my presence to be legal. Obviously attaching a pad and making sure there are enough spacers is going to be kinda hard without a receiver.

6. Dennis DeVault

Dennis DeVault Well-Known Member

According to the FFL law book you are only required to have an FFL if you are excepting a receiver. If it is just wood or a barrel no FFL is required to do stock work or barrel work.

Dennis DeVault

7. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Rebel,
    I can send any gun or action to a gunsmith without using a ffl and they can send it back to me without going through a ffl holder as the gun is owned by me! Tom Rhoads

8. Dennis DeVault

Dennis DeVault Well-Known Member

Tom is correct, once the firearm is signed out and you own it, you are permitted to send it to an FFL dealer for repairs and by law they must send it back to the person who sent the gun to them or the original owner. This is why trying to ship through a third party carrier is a problem, such as a UPS pack and send store. When we ship we have daily pickup at our shop and the shipping carrier knows what we do and they know that we are properly licensed to do these transactions.

Dennis

9. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Besides being in possession of the reciever, I think you need to accept money before you need the FFL. I believe you can help a friend and not break the law if the help was provided free of charge - just a favor for a friend. I also believe there are limits on the number of friends you can help and the frequency of help. Thin ice, skaters beware.

10. Smithy47

Smithy47 Member

I suggest you call the ATF office in your district, it will be listed in the phone book. Explain what you want to do and they will tell you if you are required to obtain an FFL. They could also tell you what limitations would keep you from having to obtain the FFL. I have delt with the ATF several times as a FFL holder and they will help you out. They don't trace phone calls or set you up for a fall. Bob R.

11. Toddy

Toddy Member

If some of the subscribers on here have their way you will need a ffl to ship empties.

You do not require an FFL to ship a piece of wood.

R.T.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.