1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

FFL information

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by williray, Apr 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. williray

williray TS Member

Last year I sold & shipped some pistols and shotguns. Shipped them all thru FED EX with no problems.

Here's my issue; As I recall I had to have the recieving FFL send me a Fax of his license. Yes? But I cant recall what I did with the info! My FFL told me I could sell and ship firearms as a private citizen, but I had to have a copy of the Rec'ng license, or ship it thru him. I think I had to be able to prove the person I was shipping to was indeed a true FFL holder and it was incumbent on me and the buyer to check out the info.

Gunbroker .com listed this info, but I'm unable to locate the particular paragraphs. Now of course this may have changed, I see a new form listed, which is supposed to ferret out people not allowed to have firearms. The link to the NRA gives a wealth of info but not any specifics as to what I mentioned above!

So Turn here to to TS.com where I know I'll get good info.

Thanks And Shoot well.

Regards

Ray Williams

2. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

If you use the USPS they keep a copy also,,done it many of times,,no problems,,

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

If you can get the FFL number, look it up on site above. It is easy to fake an FFL. This federal site will tell you all you need to know.

A dealer I do work for sends his number and a link to above site to sellers and folks wanting to transfer firearms through him. It has all info you need, verifying the license.

4. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

If your shipping to an FFL holder, you do not need a copy of his license. Some shippers may have a policy stating they would need to see a copy. It would be wise to check his name on the above list though.

Doug

5. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

So if I sell a shotgun to a gentelman in say Arizona 1400 plus miles from me I should take his word ?? I can go to this web site https://www.atfonline.gov/fflezcheck/ and get any FFL number so can a buyer and never tell the real FFL holder.

6. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

ALF- But its going to be shipped to the FFL holder who's information he has given to you, it HAS to be shipped to the address on the FFL (or whats listed on the ATF website), so if the FFL didn't know to expect a gun, it still wouldn't be released w/ out paperwork.

7. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I concurr with GunDr.

This is no different that shipping your Remington to Remington Arms in Ilion, NY for repairs. You do NOT need an FFL to ship you gun in for repairs.

However, and not including California, you must be aware that the receiver is in fact a current FFL holder and that can be checked at the site listed above on Shooting Coach's thread response.

It probably isn't a bad idea to have one in your hand just to be sure, and fazxed copy is legal.

Whiz

8. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

skeet man you may be right . BUT me I will have something in my hand that has a name and FFL number on it before I ship . I don,t think I would like being questioned about shipping a firearm without paper in hand .

9. williray

williray TS Member

Gents: Thank you all for the prompt replies and detailed information.

Much appreciated. Really nice to be able to come to a site like this and get advice as well as Info.

Again, I appreciate the responses and help.

Friend of mine wants to ship a long gun, knew I had shipped some over the years, wanted advice. My hangup was of course, why did I need the rec'ving FFL's License?? I knew exactly where to come when I couldn't locate the info.

Thanks and Regards

Ray Williams

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.