1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

FFL holders, I need help on shipping to CA.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by OldRemFan, Sep 6, 2013.

1. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

I have a guy in California wanting to buy a Colt .22 pistol barrel. Can any of you FFL holders furnish information regarding an individual shipping such parts into the state of California?

Thanks

Bob

2. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

I am not an FFL, but if you are shipping to San Diego, I can give you a very highly recommended FFL who deals with imports to this state....Larryb

3. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

Larryb

Thanks for the info, I hope I don't get to the point that I need a FFL to sell a Colt 22 barrel. It may not be worth the effort. I have a few new OEM Colt Woodsman 1st series sport model barrels, but really don't want to have to go through a FFL to ship to some states.

Bob

4. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Are you talking about barrels only?

Transferring gun barrels are not required to go through FFL.

5. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

Steve W:

Yes, barrel only.

6. Leftysmokum

Leftysmokum Member

What Steve said--no FFL needed for barrel.

7. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

Just ship it USPS Priority Flat rate even. No FFL required for barrels. It is a "NON_GUN"

8. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

"On the Ruger MK pistols, the barrel is the part that is serial numbered, and must go to the FFL."

Not that I've ever seen. Every Ruger Mark 1/2/3 I've ever seen (and can now find pictures of on google) has the serial number on the receiver.

ATF DOES NOT care about barrels, they care about the receiver/action. ANY and EVERY receiver produced after 1968 has to have the serial number stamped on the ACTION.

Only time I've seen a serial number on the barrel of a gun was if it was pre-68, and was done before serial numbers were a legal requirement. Only way you MIGHT be able to get away with doing that now (serial # on a barrel) would be if your receiver and barrel are machined as one solid piece of metal, and one could not be remove EVER from the other. Any time to see a serial number on a barrel now, it is done by the company for internal reasons, and is NOT a legal requirement.

"This is from the Volquartsen site, "All serial numbered items must be shipped to an FFL dealer.""

Only reason you see that on the site is because they sell actions and complete guns. It has NOTHING to do with their barrels, which can be sent consumer direct in all 50 states without going through a FFL.

9. skeet_man

The part that's serial numbered IS the receiver. The barrel is the smaller diameter piece right of the serial number. Old schematics show they are threaded together, but that may be different now.

Normally on a pistol the receiver and grip are one piece, the Ruger is different in that the receiver and grip aren't one piece.

The receiver is the only thing serial numbered and controlled. Remove the barrel from the receiver, the grip from the receiver, keep the receiver, and you can send everything else to anyone you wish.

10. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

The Colt barrels are not serial numbered. Actually I am more concerned about what the California laws might be. They do things a little different out there. I thought maybe someone from California might jump in here.

Bob

11. skeet_man

Someone from CA did, Steve W

12. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I don't think Ruger pistol barrel is one piece of the receiver/frame to categorize it as "gun frame/receiver". Normally manufactures don't make barrel one piece with the receiver, because people change barrels.

All my 1st & 2nd generation Colt SSAs are ser. numbered on all major parts, but only the frame is considered "Gun" by BATFE.

All my Perazzi shotguns were ser. numbered on the receiver, barrel, forearm iron, ejector, trigger group, and stock. But only the receiver needs FFL transfer.

13. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

Thanks, serial numbers are not part of my problem. The OEM Colt woodsman replacement barrels do no have serial numbers. I just wanted to make sure pistol barrels in particular were not regulated going into California. I appreciate all information received.

Bob

14. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

Check here at link I don't think there is any restriction on the barrel only.

https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/pdfs/firearms/forms/Cfl2007.pdf

15. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Sorry, side note. Some of the early AR-15's had the serial number stamped on the "upper" half. I think the all now have a number on the lower half. You can mix and match "upper" and "lower" sections using no tools. I took one in trade that had both serial numbers that were from two different manufacturers, so obviously the numbers didn't match. I think I am safe to assume there is an early A-1 style of AR out there with no serial number at all. I wonder if there is any legal problem with it?

Return to the original subject

16. napawino

napawino TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have been a dealer in CA for over 28 years. You can ship your Colt barrels to California without going through an FFL. CA does NOT regulate the sale or shipments of barrels to the state. The only barrel that is not legal, that I am aware of, is the T/C .45/410 barrel. I hope this is of some help to you.
    Fred-napawino

17. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

Fred:

Thanks for the information. Looks like the guy can purchase the Colt Woodsman barrel without any problems.

Bob