1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Fewer targets shot this year?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Joe P., Nov 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe P.

Joe P. TS Member

Speaking only for myself, the number of targets I will be shooting this year is headed for a nosedive. There are a number of reasons.

My schedule did not allow me to even try to attend shoots so far in this target year. Come November I finally get freed up enough to start and when I look for a shoot or two that would be less than a two hour drive for me. There are none listed on the ATA site for either November, December, January or February. Finally come March I see three shoots and they are all at the two clubs I am a member of. Come March and breaking weather and my schedule starts tightening up again :-( I don't know if I will be able to make more than one of these shoots.

Now add in $3.15 /gal gas (and who knows what it will top out at since it just went up 10 to 15 cents today alone!!!) and the hundred miles or so to drive (one-way)to get to a shoot and it looks like my guns may need more dusting than cleaning for the coming several months.

What may have to happen is that the 100-100-50 pr. shoots may be dropped from my schedule if I can find a marathon or two somewhere reasonably close.

Given the conditions, do you see more marathon type shoots coming to your club?

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

I hope some clubs in my area increase their shoot schedule to include a few marathons. Five hundred pair of doubles in one day is a nice relaxing program.

pyrdek-eup- With the high cost of travel, I have decided not to attend any shoot that is greater than a 13 hour drive for me. And, since Silver Dollar only has two satellite grands this year, I will only drive to Florida twice.

Pat Ireland

3. 682LINY

682LINY Member

Its to bad ,,,but this will hurt my shooting at the local club more than my registerd shoots,,,,I will still travel to shoot registerd,,,and if the choice is between local pratice or local registerd at another club,,,I will shoot the registerd

4. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Pat....would that be 500 pair of 250 pair? As much as I like doubles, I don't think I could do 500 pair in one day.

Personally I would like to see more handicap & doubles marathons and having marathons seems to be a fiscally sound way to go in obtaining registered targets.

Curt

5. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Pat, relaxing I guess! At Metro we shoot 500 before lunch, do a bit of carb loading, and then go out for some serious shooting. A few hundred singles off and on mixed in with the doubles in the PM keeps the eye sharp.

Marathons are the best bangs for the buck and I do expect them to become more popular.

Neil

6. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I'm another one of those who have to make a decision between budgeting my $$ for Registered or practice and I choose to NOT shoot much practice. If I'm gonna shoot at all my scores should count for something.

7. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

No problem.....I bought a volkswagon with peddles.

8. The Stive

The Stive Member

I shot fewer registered targets in 2007 than I did in 2006. I look for the
    number of registered targets to continue to decline for 2008. John

9. harleypilot

harleypilot Member

There are so many threads lately on people giving up trapshooting or cutting way back because of the increased cost. Trapshooting is right at the top of my favorite things to do. My kids have all finished their educations, and no longer depend upon me, and I am not going to cut out or reduce one of my favorite activities because of money. This is not a dress rehearsal. We only live once, so why would anyone want to not enjoy the ride to the fullest? So unless this would hurt your family, or reduce their standart of living drastically, shoot all you want and enjoy it.

I usually don't go on like this, but I am on my second martini and feeling really good.

Jim

10. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I expect to shoot about the same number of targets this year as I have in the past. Time and obligations to make a living are the things that keep me from shooting even more.

John C. Saubak

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

Last year I shot 14,000 registered targets. I have no idea how many I will shoot this year but I hope it is more.

Pat Ireland

12. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Of the shooter's I've talked with over the last several months, I hear trends in the making that doesn't sound so good for small clubs. Shooting less at smaller clubs saving for the bigger shoots and more marathon type shoots. Hopefully smaller clubs will come up with ways to keep the doors open, if not, that's bad news for our organization. Expense won't affect some but the average joe that keeps our organization going will and that could have a very detrimental effect. We'll see pretty soon. Hap

13. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

That's a good attitude Pat. I shot approx. 10K targets and hopefully will do about the same in '08.

An old friend (now deceased) advised me many years ago that "You better have fun on your way to wherever you going, if not, it won't be any fun when you get there".

Curt - Delaware

14. shadow

shadow Active Member

I will shoot exactly the same number of registered targets this year as I did last year. ZERO.

The same goes for almost all of those that at one time shot registered targets at our club. Alas, we no longer have registered shoots.

Those that read these threads know why--dont they Neil?

15. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

For myself, registered singles were nearly cut in half this past year. Handicap stayed the same.

With the change in the target year I expect more clubs will run marathons in the spring to make up for being not being able to get a head start on the new year by registering targets in September and October. Problem is, you gotta have the fields to work with.

~Michael

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.