1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Fewer ATA shooters

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, Apr 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Went to my local club yesterday---they were throwing registered targets. Did not shoot there was only one person besides myself who wanted to shoot registered targets. Cost is only $5.00 more for the first 100 targets.

There were more than 50 shooters, some were shooting non registered 16 yds, some were shooting skeet & the others were shooting 5 stand.

What can be done to get more people interested in the ATA?

Phil Berkowitz

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Mission impossible. HMB

3. benedict1

benedict1 TS Member

Put people back to work in real jobs, get the price of shooting down to something younger people might be able to afford, including prices of shot, powder, etc. And turn back the clock--the only guns most kids grow up using these days are video game simulations, they have no sense of the outdoors and hunting, fishing and the good life. In other words, we seem to be stuck.

In our area shooting prices are going up very rapidly,if you can find a place to shoot. Target shortages are real in the southwest. Our gun club manager just got a letter from White Flyer with dire predictions about supply. He also got stuck with a very big increase in price on the last load.

Rambling reply but basically as I see it, no tradition of sport shooting left in most big city areas, very high cost and finally, most clubs I've shot at over the last 50 years were about as welcoming to newbies as a cold bath. Just my 2ยข worth.

4. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Phil, If your were back in North Carolina, you would be shooting $18 targets
    at our registered shoot Saturday at Durham Wildlife. We can't do anything about gas prices, unemployment, or the economy, but we're trying to do what we can.

5. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Whats the incentive to shoot registered? Clyde

6. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

I've been at this "sport" for just a year and if I wasn't bound and determined to participate in the three major shoots this year at Cardinal, and if I wasn't bound and determined to shoot in my classification and at my yardage instead of penalty, I don't see any reason to belong to ATA or shoot registered targets at all. I'm a D class shooter, C at best and as a new shooter I have to go out and find a way to rack up 1,000 targets in singles and hcp to be able to stay in the group where I might be remotely competetive. If I wasn't interested in the big shoots I wouldn't belong to ATA at all. I shoot in a recreation league and have yet to meet an ATA member there.

7. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"Whats the incentive to shoot registered?"</I></blockquote>The ATA is like a country club, Clyde. The people that belong join because they can afford to, because they want to be seen in the company of others who can also afford to or because they want to shoot in the same places that the stars of the game shoot. The fact that not everyone can afford to join or shoot the events makes it something of an elite organization (like a country club) and that feeds the ego. That's not illegal; there are other places like that, too.

Their motivation for shooting trap is different from that of people that DON'T care about ATA... not wrong, just different. They invariably have something to prove to either themselves or to other people whether or not they will admit (or even recognize) it. There's nothing wrong with that either; it's just a bit foreign to the people who don't give a rat's butt plate about things like that and who shoot trap simply because they like to make loud noises and watch things blow up!

Keller

8. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

In this case I tend to agree with the Unknow1...Well put...

9. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

A simple thing to try is to let non-ATA members shoot at any ATA event, unless the club prohibits it in the shoot flyer. A change in ATA rules required!

A club has done this in the recent past. Usually a squad or two of un-registered shooters attend. Just something to do (they treat it as a fun shoot) and no requirement to join the ATA. The last shoot the club picked up two new members and sold a few ATA memberships. All shot trap in the past, just never joined the ATA and most never will.

No harm done and as in sporting clays hunter class, they had there own payouts.

A squad or two at a big shoot is not be a big thing, but for a small club in a rural area with two or three traps, a big deal in making the shoot a success.

A simple change to ATA rules is all that is required to make this legal...

10. riggs

riggs Member

if you don't play the money you won't have to shoot penalty you won't have
    to have 1,000 targets in each cacagory

11. Brad Dysinger

Brad Dysinger Member

Unknown1, You said a mouth full. The reason me and most of the shooters that started in my time shot ATA was for money and the competition, not ribbons, not AA points. I've never cared what I was shooting for but without the competition what's the point?

Winning money at an ATA shoot was what allowed me to compete with the country club set that you talk about. The money shooter has been eliminated from the equation today and with it the ribbon and AA points shooters have taken over.

The group in charge today care more about feeling good about themselves than actually competing, thus softer targets, narrower angles, more categories, all of which mean less registered ATA shooters every year.

Brad

12. tanda1

tanda1 Active Member

The real question is, what have we, as individuals, done to get more people interested in the ATA?

Have you talked up the ATA to the new shooter in your recreational league who shows some talent and a craving for competitive shooting? Or perhaps, the individual who has shot registered clays or skeet in the past and wants to try something new.

Have you invited him/her to attend a local ATA shoot and squad with you so they will not feel intimidated .

Have you let them know you will walk them through the process of joining, classifying, squading and cashiering? And help them get to their squad on time and prepared?

For every ATA member there are probably 10, 20 or more non-ATA trapshooters. Some will never join...but a couple of those likely will.

What have you done lately to grow our sport?

13. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

Look around,People are broke- the majority of registered target shooters are shooters who are retired pensioners who have a constant check coming every month.

14. Bill Stern

Bill Stern Member

I'm shooting nine years, and started with about 12 guys from my over-55 development. When we started, it was about $4 a box for ammo, $5 for a round of trap, gas was $2.50 a gallon, and co-pays for prescriptions was $5.00. Now we're down to two guys, its over $5 a box for ammo, its $7.20 for a round of trap, its $4.00 a gallon for gas, and co-pays for prescriptions can be as much as $50.00. Oh, yes, both dividends and interest on investments are way down, too. Do the math. Although no one said it, my guess is that the ten guys who dropped out of trapshooting can't afford it any more.

15. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

In my neck of the woods, Sporting is King. More money than trap, but added money and truly challenging targets is a lure that draws many folks.

We are hosting the Gamaliel Cup this week. This shoot is in the top five nation wide.

16. UtahYork

UtahYork Member

This has been on my mind this past off season. Last year was my first year of shooting. I went to many different clubs to get the full experience. But, this year I was thinking about the time and cost and I have friends that only shoot the club leagues and practice - it's a lot cheaper. I just shot this weekend and it was $90 per day (2 days) for a total of 600 targets. Next month there's a shoot each weekend at different clubs. $180 per weekend plus gas and shells - that adds up. Not sure what I'm going to do for sure. I'll still shoot, but I'll probably cut back a little. Maybe just hit one day on the weekend, but even $90 is not cheap.

17. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

I don't care for trinkets or toys. Show me the money. Years ago I used to shoot alot of pistol competition. Had a dang closet full of trophys. Ended up throwing them out or giving some back to the clubs to reuse. I like to shoot for the dough. I got a buddy who is a fair shooter. He wins on games once in awhile. He said he would like to improve more but wasn't trying to beat anybody. I said then whats the point on inproving if no one else isn't going to feell the results. I go to win. I want to find out who is the top shooter and thats the guy to beat. All else is inmaterial. Wild Bill

18. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

To borrow the phrase of a past president, "It's the ecomony, stupid!"

I too went to an ATA shoot Saturday, only to not even stop my car. I arrived late, thinking I could not play the options if the shoot had aready started and when I counted only 6 cars in the parking lot, I figured there were not enough shooters there to even waste my time.

If I want to shoot for targets only, I can do that at my local club at a far less cost, for those targets. I figure to attend an ATA, with a 300 bird program, using new (but cheap) ammo, my costs are about $152.00 just for targets, entry fees and shells. That does not include gas, wear and tear on car, gun, and lunch.

As a side note this club also cut the number of registered shoots from last year to about half. Perhaps that had something to do with discouraging the shooters, but maybe the weather forcast did not help either as it was supposed to start raining in the afternoon and continue into Sunday, which it did.

But the real problem with low attendence is due to the cost of gas, shells and targets, which is caused by high fuel prices, and a still floundering ecomony. If peoples spending money gets eaten up in gas and food increases, they have less to spend on recreation.

19. Rooksd1

Rooksd1 Member

Most ATA club shoots are not competitive at all. Most do not give anything for winners no money no trophies. The shooters are just registering targets. (boring to say the least) I see lots of 40,000 bass boats going to tournaments, they are competing. Same in sporting clays shoots.

20. running bear

running bear Member

Phil,,

Their are never many ATA shooters on Sunday at the club except when the snow birds are down here.
    Buck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.