1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Few questions about gun adjustments

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by riss6270, Dec 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. riss6270

riss6270 TS Member

Im going to pattern my gun today. Just bought it yesterday. Went and shot one round last night and it was shooting way low and to the left. If i pattern my gun at 35 yrd and on paper it does shoot low and to the left what direction should i move my comb. Do i follow where the gun is shooting or go the opposite. Ex gun shoots left move comb to the left or gun shoots to the left and move comb to the right.

2. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Move the comb in the direction you want the pattern to move.

So your comb needs to be raised and moved to the right.

If you can move the front of the rib, you would make adjustments in the opposite direction, i.e., you would move the front of the rib down to raise the pattern.

And most people on here would recommend that you pattern for point-of-impact at about 13 yards using a bench-type rest. But you can do it at 35 yards too, it's just a little easier to see at about 13 yards.

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Up and down are easy. Raise the comb to make the gun shoot higher. Right/left is complicated. The comb should be moved right/left to comfortably align the front and mid sight each time you mount the gun. You should not change the way you mount the gun, especially change cheek pressure, to force sight alignment.

If the gun shoots to the left with the sights aligned, you have a problem that cannot be solved by moving the comb. Be sure to check several shots from a solid rest at 13 yards.

Pat Ireland

4. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I would do as Pat says and first check from a rest to be sure that the barrel is true. If so, I would simply go to station 3, lock the machine for dead straight aways and adjust as needed until you are smoking the targets on a very consistant basis and then LEAVE IT ALONE. Let your brain adjust to the gun from there (this is assuming that the gun fit is right and your form as well).

JMHO!

5. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

I believe the link above will help you with your situation.

Bryan

6. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Pat I don't understand what you mean? If you move the comb to the right, the POI will move to the right. So, if your gun shoots to the left, just move the comb to the right.

If the gun patterns off center with the beads aligned that is a different matter, but it can be compensated with comb offset. Just don't line the beads up when you mount. I agree that it would be better if the beads are lined up when you mount, it's just not the end of the world.

What matters is breaking targets. If you're breaking targets, who cares where the POI is on paper?

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Rastoff- You must have the beads lined up and you must be looking straight down the barrel. When the bird leaves the house, your focus shifts to the bird and at best, the front sight is just something of a blur. You do not use the sights to aim a shotgun so your gun mount must align your eye straight down the barrel.

Pat Ireland

8. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Nope, that's not true. If I stack the beads like an infinity sign (sideways) when I mount, call for the bird and break it, then it's working.

Nothing else matters beyond a broken target. If a shooter consistently breaks the target, even if he doesn't line up anything, then whatever he's doing is working.

Now, if the shooter isn't breaking targets consistently, then he would have to look at different options. He may not be aligned with the gun. The barrel could be bent or the chokes installed improperly.

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You got it right, it's how many targets you break that counts. HMB

10. 20yard

20yard TS Member

Seems like some think having the gun shoot where you look (aim for shotgunners) isn't important. I can't understand that thinking since if the gun doesn't shoot where you aim you add even another thing to think about like shoot a little left of my target to offset. The link to Neil's procedure is the best advice. Until the gun shoots where you intend other things are a waste of time in my view.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.