1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Few pieces of Walnut

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by bigunn, Mar 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigunn

bigunn TS Member

bigunn_2008_030349.jpg

2. bigunn

bigunn TS Member

another

3. racer

racer TS Member

It would be neat to learn how a stock is made from the forms in the picture. How does one pick how/where to cut etc.... Dan

4. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

I am in no way a wood expert but i do know the "magic" is all in the way the wood is cut from the stump. As in the direction of each cut. Some guys waste a lot of wood in order to get the best of the best out of one of those stumps. I have also been told some of the best figured wood actually comes from the wood that is almost below the surface of the ground.

5. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I'll bet that Mike Mann is drooling all over those pictures!

6. bigunn

bigunn TS Member

Thats not even 1/3 of the burls those will be and are being shipped to the cezk republic to be cut into vineer. Thoses are burls , which some people like a burl stock but the english is above the burl. Right now we are harvesting some of the last big walnut in ca, some english that will make your mouth water color that is just out of this world
    bigunn_2008_03037.jpg

7. Mr.M

Mr.M Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Mike Mann appreciates how much work is being done to produce the burls pictured and has been there/done that. Not work for the timid or faint of heart.

I'm glad that Big has found a veneer buyer anywhere as most have dried up significantly in the last three years. The warning that the California commercial walnut big tree supply is coming to an end is a very real situation. Get 'em while you can!!

Big - if any of those trees or less-than-veneer quality burls aren't spoken for give me a call. I'd love to find another stick or two to put up in the drying racks. 541-441-6222 leave a message.

Mike Mann

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.