1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Fenestration standards for residential door instal

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Citori Shooter, Sep 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Citori Shooter

Citori Shooter TS Member

Need help, I'm fighting with the company that replaced my front door on my house. The door has sidelights and a transom and when they installed it they set it on six shims,one about every ten inches, and shot expandable foam under the door frame between the shims. I say it is wrong. I am in Pennsylvania and contractors are to follow the Uniform Construction code which follows the International Residential Construction Code. I have not been able to find an actual mandate as to how to install a door assembly. The IRC states that you are to follow the manufactures guidelines for installation. The manufactures website only shows the door assembly being set on silicon/adhesive but does say that you can shim the door to make it plumb. The IRC R703.8 calls for flashing under the door frame, which it does not have. Also, from the outside it has a hollow void under the ends of the exposed threshold with only the front edge being sealed with silicon. If there are any contractors or inspectors out there that can enlighten me or provide a printable copy of the fenestration or installation standards for residential door installation I would be most appreciative. Thank you.

2. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

Was a permit required? It should have been. If the contractor didn't get a permit, contact your municipal building inspection department, tell them what is happening and request an inspection.

3. rvh

rvh Member

i have just sent you a pm, rege

4. Citori Shooter

Citori Shooter TS Member

Building permit not required in PA for a door install.

5. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

Most installs don't require a building permit. Manufacture install instructions are for the simplest job.Do you want your door installed plumb? then you will have shims and usually filled in with silicone or expanding foam, than maby capped.

6. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

Citori Shooter,

Without the power of the building inspections department, you have little recourse but small claims court if you feel like you have been really screwed. Let's say you tell the contractor you're not going to pay him until he does the job the way you tell him to do it. After an extended period of "disagreement", he tells you to pound sand and says he'll hand the matter over to his attorney.

The point that I am trying to make is that there has to be some form of simple arbitration, even on the simplest and smallest job. See if he will agree to letting the building inspector be the tie-breaker. If none of this fits into the grander scheme of things, then it will sooner or later end up in the "lessons learned" file in you Memory Bank.

Good luck. I hope things work out for you.

7. Citori Shooter

Citori Shooter TS Member

My only real recourse is to file with the PA State Attorney General or with an attorney. So far, all the people I talk to about how the door was installed say it was done wrong. The company insists it is in right. I don't know if it is possible to remove a door after it is installed without damaging it the process and reinstall it correctly. As far as the memory bank thing, I have considered just buying another door but this one carried a $6735.00 price tag so I am still researching my arguing points. It would be different if the shims were placed at the ends of the frame and at the jambs of the door frame but they are not. I expect over time the one inch piece of what looks like pine as the base for the door/ threshold will bow under the weight of the unit and cause problems. Thanks for your input.

8. TC

TC TS Member

Contact the manufacturer of the door and discuss with them. They will tell you if it is right or not.

9. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

Citori Shooter,

I apologize for the brain fart. "TC" got me straight. I know right much about the distibution of millwork products. Start by contacting the retail lumber company where the contractor bought the door. If the unit is one of the high-end units on the market today, it probably was shipped to the retailer from Reeb Millwork in Allentown. Reeb has Distributor's representatives that service the retailers and they have a very good idea about how things are supposed to be installed. Ask the retailer's salesman to call the distributor where the unit came from and request that they send out the distributor's rep for your territory. At the same time, ask them to contact the Manufacturer's rep and to let the manufacturer know that you are VERY unhappy with the way things are going. Manufacturers have a way of making customers happy...if you get my drift.

If the Door Unit was manufactured by Rogue Valley Sash and Door out of Oregon, the Manf. Rep. will be a big, ugly guy named Darryl. If not, the unit probably came from another distributor, but the game will get played about the same way. The secret for you will be getting the Distributor's Rep and Manufacturer's Rep in the game and on you side. Don't hesitate calling the reps yourself if you feel like the retailer is messing you around.

Good luck. Take your time and don't get too impatient. Most reps in the Millwork Industry are good guys and really want to help you.

Kit

10. Citori Shooter

Citori Shooter TS Member

Kit, I have not considered contacting the company and having their rep. come out. It is certainly worth a try. Thank you.

11. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

What is the brand/manufacturer of the door? Get on line and see if they have an installation procedure on their website. A sales rep is better yet, because he will want his product installed correctly.

12. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

It's a little late for it but did you check this outfit out before hiring them? Did they have a good reputation in construction industry? I assume they were licensed and bonded(not that it guarantees good work). There are outfits around here that I wouldn't let install a mail box for me.

I think Kits ideaof the product Rep is certainly worth a try. If nothing else it will get another ball rolling. Good luck.

13. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

I worked for a window manufacturer and door distributor for 25 years in the Pittsburgh area. Get in touch with the manufacturer and ask for a copy of their installation instructions. Ask them also if they can possibly send a sales/manufacturers rep. to your home to inspect the installation. If the door was installed incorrectly chances are the manufacturer will not stand behind the warranty if there is a problem down the road. Mike.

14. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

It sounds like the door was shimmed to raise the level of the door to meet a certain height, of maybe the inside floor for example. The sill should be leveled before installation. Although, some shimming may be required on the bottom edges to acquire a true vertical level of the frame. Also, if the sill needed to be raised it should have been done with added wood all the way across the sill, IMO. Expanding foam is pretty rigid, if the span is completely filled. I would prefer the solid material. The squaring of the frames should be done on the sides. Usually, starting on the top corners. There should be some sort of flashing material whether it be an adhesive watershield, or house wrap on the sill, then silicone beads run along the whole sill to stop water and air infiltration. Was this unit assembled on site, or was it already squared and assembled, delivered. With a transom above, they usually ship that separately, depending on the size. After the installation is complete then you trim out the kick moulding, or trim under the step to meet the sidelight trim and support aluminum bottom plate, then caulked to seal where everything meets.
    stlflyn_2010_0704274.jpg

stlflyn_2010_0704276.jpg

stlflyn_2010_0704277.jpg

15. revbook

revbook Member

Barrelbulge is right, the manufacturer has a stake in this as he will not warranty a door that is installed incorrectly.

Don in PA

16. Citori Shooter

Citori Shooter TS Member

Thank you for all the input and suggestions, The manufacturer, Provia Door, is sending out their rep. to look at the job. The unit was in one piece. The shims are about 5/8" thick and taper about an 1/8" from one end to the other. I also have a brick step that is at the front of the aluminum threshold plate. I do know that the top of the brick step was higher than the floor underlayment. Everyone that has any knowledge of properly putting in a door that I have talked to tell me that the door should be sitting on the floor and if it needs to be higher, like mine because of the brick step, supported the full length of it's base even if the board it is sitting on is tapered it's entire length. I will let you know more once the manufacturers' rep. comes out. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.