1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

FELLOW TRAPSHOOTERS, COULD USE SOME ADVICE!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Mar 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    i have no neck to really speck of, so i decided to stop using the monte carlo stock that came with my 870 tb, and picked up a straight tb stock. problem i am having is that i can not get my poi where i want it. i want to be able to touch the bottom of the target and see smoke. i have patterned the barrel, it has a 50/50 pattern when i see a figure 8. i purchased a meadows industry "convert a stock pad" and the poi is to high no matter what combination or lack of spacers i use. years ago a gunsmith told me to bend the tube up slightly and that will make the barrel sit higher resulting in the gun shooting higher. anyone ever do this? also i was thinking of reinletting the stock to the receiver to get a higher stock. any ideas?
    steve balistreri

2. michmoe

michmoe TS Member

Without raising your comb which would negate the benefit of going to the straight stock I would advise giving Briley a call and have them make you a choke tube that would raise your point of impact.You'll have to know first how much higher you would like that to be before you call though.

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

My experince with a Briley tipped up tube is that the top of the patter is dispersed to the point of being just a big 3 ring. In other words the top of the pattern from center up was weak and told me notihgn. Get in touch ith Doug Braker or Pete Elsen and hav ethem fix it. I think you know both guys.

4. senior smoke

my barrel is a fixed full choke.
    steve

5. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Steve. Pete Elsen can fix you up. He is just west of Milw.

Pete Elsen
    830 N. 109th St
    Wauwatosa, WI 53226

(414) 476-4660

Pete is an excellent bbl smith. Makes his own tubes. Shot 1100s fo ryears. AA trap and AA skeet shooter. He can fix you up.

Jack Swanson.

6. michmoe

michmoe TS Member

Senior Smoke..if your 870 has no choke tube,all the better.They can thread your barrel for a tube in such away that it can be more easily made to shoot higher.Although I've never experienced any bad patterns from Briley having ahd them do this to a O/U barrel so the first barrel would shoot higher for doubles,Pete Elsen does do good work and could do ths for you as well.Good luck.

7. deadeye45

deadeye45 Member

From your description, you should land on the stock that you are most comfortable shooting. You have half the battle won if you think the gun fits. Once there, have Briley bore the end of the barrrel (I've yet to see an 870 without enough barrel thickness to do this) for tubes and insert a tube(s) to the POI you desire. They can do this perfectly. The added benifit is a choke for any occasion.
    deadeye45

8. chipking

chipking TS Member

Steve are you saying that your POI is too high right now. If so raising the stock comb is the wrong way. You want to lower the comb to lower the POI. If you cannot do this with a straight tb stock buy a field stock. It should be a good bit lower than the trap stock so adding the "converta stock pad" may be used to bring it to where it works for you.

--- Chip King ---

9. senior smoke

chipking- the barrel shoots to low. the stock fits me like a glove. i am left handed, it has left hand cast, i do not feel the recoil, i see a figure 8 with the beads. problem is, when i shoot i can tell the pattern is to low. i have to go up into the target to smoke it. took it to the patterning board, shoots 50/50. problem is i don't see the target anymore when i go up into the target then. i purchased a convert a stock pad, so i could raise the poi. problem is when i use the spacers provided with the stock pad, it shoots to high. i than eliminated the spacers and just use the stock pad without spacers and it is still to low. i have never seen anything like this. i tried duct tape, mole skin, don't like the feel of those items. i am thinking of reinletting the stock to the receiver, or bending the barrel.
    steve balistreri

10. senior smoke

i have decided to go back to my monte carlo stock. could not get the straight stock to work for me.
    thanks,
    steve balistreri

11. Stu Pidash

Stu Pidash TS Member

Have ya considered getting a neck fitted onto your body?

Might be easier than you think and then the problem is solved.

12. senior smoke

stu- everyone tells me having no neck in trapshooting is a good thing, don't think so!
    steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.