1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Feinstein Proposes Compulsory Gun Buyback

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by 100straight, Dec 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 100straight

100straight Member

Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., said that she and other gun control advocates are considering a law that would create a program to purchase weapons from gun owners, a proposal that could be compulsory.

“We are also looking at a buy-back program,” Feinstein said today in a press conference. “Now, again, this is a work in progress so these are ideas in the development.”

Gov. Andrew Cuomo, D-N.Y., already discussed the possibility of a buy-back law for his state, but he made clear it would be a forced buyback.

“Confiscation could be an option,” Cuomo told The New York Times yesterday when discussing semiautomatic weapons. “Mandatory sale to the state could be an option. Permitting could be an option — keep your gun but permit it.”

Australia implemented a mandatory buyback program in 1996 following a mass shooting. “The law banned semiautomatic and automatic rifles and shotguns and put in place a mandatory buy-back program for newly banned weapons,” USA Today recalls. “The buyback led to the destruction of 650,000 gun.”

Some liberal activists want the policy imitated here. “That would be like destroying 50 million guns in America today,” the Center for American Progress’ Matt Miller wrote after noting that Australia eliminated 20 percent of the weapons in the country. “The Australian ‘outlaw and repurchase’ option is one approach. But if Congress balks at banning certain weapons entirely, it could make gun owners an offer they can’t refuse. Instead of $200 a gun, Uncle Sam might offer $500.”

Feinstein also said that that former President Bill Clinton had volunteered, on a phone call, to help her get a new gun law passed.

“[Clinton] was talking about the battle back in 1993 with the bill that, interestingly enough, was introduced and passed within the year fo 1993 and went into effect in 1994,” she said. “And, of course, he was president and the White House came alive and was very very helpful in enabling the passage of that bill both in the senate and in the House. So, to have him part of the team again is really quote special for us.”

http://washingtonexaminer.com/sen.-feinstein-suggests-national-buyback-of-guns/article/2516648#.UNsO12_Adsn

2. 548

548 Guest

The NRA has brought this on themselves. By refusing to be part of a discussion, they have become "radical" in the publics eyes. With every passing shooting, the NRA is losing it's credibility on the national stage. Now, public opinion has reached a point of no return. The above proposal has no chance of passing, it is way too restrictive, but you can bet there will be an assault weapon and magazine capacity ban in 6 months or less.

3. crusha

crusha TS Member

The Supreme Court says civilian light arms cannot be _banned_ to qualified private citizens. The Heller decision was NOT ON THE BOOKS when the Clinton AW ban was passed. We can quibble about definitions, but the legal landscape has changed so that any ban like the one in the Clinton years will face big Constitutional problems, and the democrats know it.

That's why they're talking about mag bans and buy-backs (that "could" be compulsory, meaning their team of 1,000 lawyers will have to study it for 1,000 hours apiece on the taxpayer nickel). Those are all options that fall short of a gun ban. They are hedging their bets. There was a lot of talk after the CT shooting, but they know the advantage is actually to the NRA's side, not theirs.

Folks, absolutely do not let the loud-mouths similar to 548 tell you this ballgame is over. Not by a long shot. There are a ton more states that got CCW legislation since the 1990s when the AW ban was passed, with an attendant increase in the number of politically-activated gunowners who are passionate about protecting something they now see themselves as having a personal stake in (which extends to preserving freedom for all types of civilian light arms).

But there is one thing that has not changed since the 1990s: politicians still want their jobs.

You mark my words - the Democrats will not even be able to get an "AW ban" (note the specific words in quotes) to the floor of the U.S. House of Representatives.

4. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

No there won't because rational people are starting to actually think about the facts- something liberals are incapable of doing. Anybody actually capable of thinking knows that mean looking rifles aren't the problem and confiscating them isn't any kind of solution. All a confiscation scheme would accomplish is to make the price of black rifles go up, just as it has with drugs.

Beside that, there isn't enough prison space to hold all the new felons.

[​IMG]

5. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Maybe the justice department can recover some of the cost of the buyback by selling the guns to the Mexican drug cartels? Fast & Furious II

6. JT 27

JT 27 Member

I'll not agree even if they would give me my actual value of my guns. We missed our chance with the White House, we need to clean house, House of Representatives, House of Congress, Supreme Court, This is not the America which I was born into in 1940!

7. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

If this comes to pass,..its been nice knowing you all

8. cbxchris

cbxchris Active Member

548 I will cover any bet you wish to make to back up that mouth on a federal assault weapons ban. It will not happen. Its a dead issue in congress and will remain so.

9. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

What rock have you been hiding under 548???

The NRA has been in the discussion longer then you've been alive and most of the time they are the only ONE'S making any common sense. Liberals are the only ones who have labeled them "radicals" its political term is "class warfare" or another word is HATE. Are you a practice'er of HATE? 548

You obviously didn't read where they were taking the "wait and see" approach, the one you take when there are to many "hot heads" spouting off so much nonsense NO ONE knows whats going on during that time period.

Feinstein is just being the good Communist the People of the State of Kalifornia keep voting back in while her spouse makes a fortune off of government(military ones) contracts, or is that B. Boxer??

10. Jeffnet

Jeffnet TS Member

548, Are you actually a police officer, the only officers I knew that were like you were brown nosers that advanced through my department because of Kissing A##. To bad your allowed on this sight. Jeff

11. 548

548 Guest

cbxchris, I will bet you a set of wooly snap caps that there will be a bill relating to firearms passed and signed by the President of the United States by 07/01/13. The specifics of the bill I will not wager.

12. crusha

crusha TS Member

"Relating to firearms?"

That's pretty vague...and unastonishing.

13. 548

548 Guest

It was intentional.

Your NRA is opposed to any form of gun legislation at all; so the crux of the bet is worthy.

14. crusha

crusha TS Member

This time next year, we will still be able to buy an AR-15. That, my friend, is the true "crux" of the argument. And it has nothing to do with the composition of the legislative chambers, political-arm twisting, or the trends of public opinion.

It's a fact you and your police union can do nothing about.

15. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

548=Eugene=548=Eugene=548=Eugene=548=Eugene=548=Eugene=548=Eugene=548=Eugene
    [​IMG]

16. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

LA PD buying guns today, They will have bought 10,000 guns today

17. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Great why don't you take all the guns you own down and cash in

But the way you post I really doubt you own any guns

18. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

I would much rather see a BAN ON STUPID LAWYERS starting with What's her face Feinstien moving on towards her friends --- you know the Dems. The ones that are the biggest hypocrites should go first, starting with Michigans dynamic duo of Carl Lemon and Debbie Stabmenow (did you know that her husband got caught with his pants down in a hotel room with a 24 year old hooker?) She's misereable enough that I can't say that I blame him. Moving on we can out John Scary and Sillery Clinton. Chuck U. Schumer should be right up there on the top of the list. ETC. Y'all get my point? None of these people connected with Washington and this administration are really there to govern or protect the American way of life. They are all power hungry to the point that they will do anything and everything they can to throw the American public under the bus and line their own pockets. Any Questions?

Chuck

19. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Chuck, I'm thinking that any such ban should include a certain lawyer from Iowa too.

20. 8 Straight

8 Straight Active Member

A buy back sounds about par for this Congress. The country doesn't have pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of, but they can find a couple of billion dollars for a gun buy back. Right. And I'm sure the people they are targeting would be the first to take part. Right again. Stupidity reigns.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.