1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback on Ag Day at the Ohio State Shoot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Joe Smoke, Jun 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Smoke

Joe Smoke Member

We are looking for comments on the first ever "Ag Day" on Wednesday of the Ohio State Shoot. This day was put together in an effort to showcase Ohio's largest industry, agriculture. We had 4 major sponsors; John Deere who donated a lawn tractor for the shootout, and Bayer Crop Science, Beck's Hybrids, and Specialty Fertilizer Products, each donating $3000 of added money for a special Lewis purse for 1 of the 3 events that day.

To enter the Special Lewis, it cost $5 per event, and only the top Lewis score paid. We wanted some substantial payouts here, and for example, Beck's Lewis paid $73.75 for an 89 in the singles, Bayer Lewis paid $186.75 for an 82 in the caps, and SFP paid $95.50 for a 90 and $119.25 for a 79 in the doubles. All payouts of the special Lewis are listed on RJ Stuart.

Sponsor displays were in a big tent across from the central entry building, and Dale Minyo, voice of Ohio agriculture with Ohio AgNet, broadcast the daily farm report live with sponsors as guests. If shooters visited the sponsors, they were given free raffle tickets for flats of shells, donated by AJ's Supplies, Rick and Chad Hall with Spartan Crop Insurance, and Nester Ag. We gave away a total of 25 flats of shells.

Let us know what you thought- if you would like to see it continued in the future, possible improvements, etc. Our thinking for the sponsors was that there are a lot of shooters that have jobs in ag-related fields, or own land that is under production. And also everyone there buys food and appreciates a safe and economical supply, so a little education on the new technologies in agriculture doesn't hurt anyone.

Thanks for the comments-
    Joe Nester

2. The Stive

The Stive Member

I am in favor of AG day. I am thankful and have respect for any of the sponsors. I would like to see AG Day continue. John

3. Zoltan

Zoltan Member

Joe, you really hit a home run on this. Lots of activity with the vendors and next year it will grow bigger as the word gets out. I know of one more vendor who may want to get involved.

Thanks for all you have done for the Ohio State Shoot.

Roger Edgington
    NE Zone Director

4. Dave Berlet

Dave Berlet Active Member

Joe a great big thank you to you and all of the Ag Day sponsers. I believe the Ag sponsers were all very well received and I hope that from this beginning it will only get bigger. We all need to be very appreciative of all
    the sponsers and vendors that help make our shoots such great events.

Dave Berlet

5. matttrapn

matttrapn Active Member

Hello Joe,

Great job done here with the Ag Day all-round. Sponsers were all wonderful, their displays and info right on the money,,,,,,,, and ohh ya' speaking on money, the added money these outstanding sponsers put into the pot for us shooters,,,,, what can be said, other than THANK YOU!!!!

My hope is they found our shoot benefited each of them, and enjoyed their time with us. I for one hope very much they return next year, maybe a few of them will have been bite by the trap-shooting bug by then and join with us????

Thank you Joe, I know you worked hard to help bring this Ag Day to our State shoot in 2012.

Matt Nicol

6. BIG PAPA

BIG PAPA Member

Joe, the AG day was nothing short of SUPER. In talking with many of the AG sponsors they were in shock. They had no idea of the volume of shooters who were visiting and seeking information from them. Now that you have it started, I really think this will turn into one of the biggest days of the whole shoot. GREAT GREAT JOB TO YOU AND ANYONE WHO HELPED WITH THE PROJECT!

7. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

It was a great idea. Even though the Cardinal Center is 10-15 minutes from Columbus, it's in a rural setting. "Ag Day" fit the scene perfectly.

Good job Joe!

One suggestion for next year...."John Beer Day".

Of course, after shooting.

8. Ron Burdick

Ron Burdick Active Member

My wife and I spent "Ag Day" traveling from SC to the Cardinal. We arrived to late to get classified.

The sponsors of "Ag Day" were still open and invited us to enter the shell drawing.

I was lucky enough to win a flat of shells.

"Ag Day" is a very good addition to the Ohio State shoot.

Thank You:

Ron Burdick

9. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

I visited and shopped at the Ohio State Shoot on Saturday. Being from Indiana and a part-time farmer, I would love to shoot in the Ag Day event/s. Do you have a specific date picked for next year?

Thanks, John Ertel

10. Joe Smoke

Joe Smoke Member

We do not have a day picked for next year, we're really appreciating the input here because it can help guide us for next year. I'll summarize the input and get with the sponsors we had this year, and also get their take on the events of Ag Day.

Thanks for the comments- keep them coming!
    Joe

11. docbombay

docbombay Well known trouble maker

I am not a farmer or involved in the agriculture business in any way, shape or form. But I do live on some acreage and enjoyed talking tractors in the tent.

In addition, I did receive a great deal of information while visiting the sponsor tent regarding the emerald ash borer.

Today I bought a gallon of Bayer Advance at Lowes to protect some of my ash trees.

Thanks Bayer!

12. topgunoh

topgunoh Member

Joe, Ag Day was awesome, NOBODY and I mean NOBODY benefited more from these great events then the shooters at the Ohio State Shoot. I has raised on a dairy farm and own some land leased out now. So I do have a soft spot for the Ag business, I also like to EAT, in our great state of Ohio it fits perfectly and should be an on going deal with O.S.T.A. I can't say enough good about all the vendors who took part at the shoot.

Thank you all,

Dave

13. Joe Smoke

Joe Smoke Member

14. zimmie

zimmie Active Member

Joe, ag day was a good time You did a great job on that, Now can u make it RAIN!!!!. ZIMMIE

15. Roger Brenner

Roger Brenner Member

16. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

I think it worked well. Also thank them for the added money of which I got some.

Thanks.

Don

17. Joe Smoke

Joe Smoke Member

I had fun with the Ag Day promotion. Thinking next year that we bring in auto-steer tractors run by gps and programmed to stop at every bank, pulling trolleys like they did at Vandalia? May be a few golf carts in jeopardy if we do that....

Zimmie- my order has been in for rain. Not sure everyone realizes how critical we are in the drought. If it doesn't rain in the next week, we may not harvest a lot of these crops. 105 degrees today and 25-35 mph winds will take it's toll.

So much for the farm report, this is a shooting thread!

Joe

18. likemybrownings

likemybrownings Active Member

Joe, Thanks for all the hard work you and all the others put in to organize AG day, Thanks to the sponsors also. It was very enjoyable, and can see it only growing for another year. DaveB

19. plaw

plaw Active Member

I walked over to the Deere display,fellow there was very friendly,sure wanted to take one of those green machines home with me.Maybe you could bring back a shooters wagon and pull it with an ole johnny put-put, that would be cool.

20. scratcher

scratcher TS Member

AG. Day was the absolute prize in the entire shoot. Ten thumbs up for their participation and support for Ohio and shooters. I wish Wisconsin had business's like these.............
    Dick Gries
    Wisconsin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.