1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback from Promo Users

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Recoil Sissy, Feb 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

I load one ounce shells for singles and at least the first shot of doubles. Red Dot has been my long time powder of choice for that application. I’m now considering Promo. So… I’m looking for feedback from experienced Promo users. I’m particularly interested in the experience of long time Red Dot users currently loading Promo.

I’ve read the three universal caveats about Promo:

1. It's a direct grain for grain substitute for Red Dot.

2. It's density varies more from lot to lot than does the density of Red Dot.

3. Some folks think Promo burns dirty.

The above mentioned caveats notwithstanding, has anyone had less than satisfactory results or any actual problems using Promo? If so, what??

Thanks in advance, sissy

2. colonel klink

colonel klink Active Member

I've been using it for a couple years now. No problems & you can't beat the price. I load mainly 1 oz. & 7/8 oz. loads with it but have loaded a limited amount of 1 1/8 oz. stuff. All good. I'm sure more will reply here with far more experience with Promo. Colonel

3. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

The fourth caveat is it only comes in 8# containers, but that is not really a problem. It is a cost effective powder and I've not found any serious drawbacks. I use the MultiScale charge bar, so density changes lot to lot are not a problem, and buy two kegs at a time so the bar is set for the next 16# of Promo.

4. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

I've used Red dot for my 12 gauge powder for many, many years. Promo is worth the savings. I've used 10+ kegs of it.

Regarding "dirty" - I depends. They say each batch of Promo is a unique blend based on what Alliant has to blend. The last keg I got is a very clean blend. It's as clean as the little bit of PB and Clays that I've used.

But it's a good deal for the money whether you get a clean or, more likely, a dirty keg.

5. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I just started using it and loaded several flats the other night using nitro 27 hull, cheddite primer, gray wad(7/8) and 17.1 grains of Promo. They tested at 1270 to 1286 FPS. I will use them for skeet and 16 yd line. Also first shot of doubles when I get to shoot them. I shot several rounds of skeet with some of them Sunday afternoon and I'm well satisfied of them. Jackie B.

6. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I used to load Red Dot. Switched over to Promo and couldn't tell the difference. It is economical and does the job. It is a great buy at $72 a keg. (This is what I paid about 6 weeks ago). Ed

7. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I've used more Red Dot in my reloading career than all the other powders I've tried put together. At the PA State shoot, CAC was selling 8lb jugs of Promo for $65. I bought one to try. I'm almost finished the jug. You already know about using different bushings and the density variability. So, I'll say that the only difference you will notice between it and Red Dot is the very slight oily residue on the hulls, and the $20 you saved. It flat out works great.

8. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Keep pressure above 9,000 psi and it burns as clean as anything else out there. USE a SCALE with every change in lot numbers..and at least a check with every container. You'll find it similar in performance to Red Dot. My do everything load is 19.6 Promo Winchester 209 primer Remington or AA hull 7/8oz shot DRXL-1 or XXL wad.. Kevin did full testing on this for me.. It flat crushes targets at any shootable range.. Now.. if you are looking for real light shells.. Promo still performs well.. but there is more residue left behind.

9. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

Sissy, I have used about 60lbs of Promo. I use Red Dot data and though Aliant does have some Promo data I don't pay a lot of attention to it. It does vary lot to lot but I have seen very little difference. I always check when I go from lot to lot. Is it dirty? Yes but I don't see much difference from Red dot. Save yourself some money, use promo and buy me bowl of chili at the club.....Roger

10. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

It's a great powder for the money. There is some variation from lot to lot, but I have had some wide variations with Red Dot in the past few years. Just weigh your drops, especially when opening a new lot, and you are good to go. I buy a couple of cases at the time to keep it simple. As for the dirty part, I don't have a problem with it. I shoot a gaspipe and have gone over 1000 rounds between cleanings. I try not to, but time gets short when there are more targets to shoot at. I've had powders like Clays gum up the works in less than 500 rounds, so it's no better or worse than other powders. I have never had a bad lot of Promo either. I once heard that someone had some issues with one lot in colder weather, but I'd think it was something else in the load and not the powder. I'd say the Fiocchi primers were the main suspect and not the powder.

Alliant's data shows a grain for grain equivalency in the loads for both Red Dot and Promo. I have been told by Alliant that Red Dot data is OK for Promo. I try to keep the pressures around 8500 - 9500 PSI and won't consider a load listed at over 10K.

It is my powder of choice for 1 oz and most 7/8 oz loads. For heavier 1 1/8 oz loads, I will go to a different powder.

11. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Between it and Titgroup, it's the cheapest out there.

I have switched to it from WST. I don't see it as being dirty... WST seems to see as much residue in the barrel as Promo. I use it for both 1 oz and 1 1/8 oz.

I shoot a very light load of PROMO and have chronographed it to about 1130 or so.

Whiz

12. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

Buy 6 kegs at a time and make sure they are all from the same lot# and that takes care of the density issue,All of the above comments answer the rest of your questions.PJ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.