1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Feed the HOMELESS VETS for Christmas.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Bob Schultz, Nov 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

The words "homeless" and "Veterans" should not be used in the same sentence...unfortunately there are some of our brothers in arms that have a lot of issues trying to return to a "normal" life at home after tours of combat in Afghanistan, Iraq and even Vietnam. (Check out the website above...)

Here in western North Carolina the Asheville Buncombe County Christian Ministries, ABCCM, has a facility dedicated to the restoration of these men who so honorably served their country. The VRC website link is above. These folks do amazing work with our Vets and many have returned to normal daily life with their families and loved ones. The issue is... more of them are coming home every day from our current conflicts in the near east. They need our help.

Every Christmas my wife Jan and I and a dozen or so of our friends go to the VRC and cook a "all the trimmings" Christmas dinner for the men at the center...all 300+ and their families! We started doing this because the hard working staff at the center was off for Christmas and the Vets were only going to get sandwiches and coffee on Christmas day. We found that totally unacceptable! Each year we raise enough money to feed them and provide a fun Christmas day. We have musicians who come and play and sing Christmas Carols. My business partner from New Zealand sends candy and treats. We have local ladies who bake pies and cakes.

Why am I telling this to you, my friends at TS.com? Frankly, I'm looking for some donations. It costs about $1000 to feed the guys on both Christmas day and New Years day. We cook and serve (and donate money) but if we spread it around a bit and get a little each from a lot of people nobody has to come up with a lot of cash and the Vets really benefit. Your donations are tax deductible and all the money goes directly to feed the Veterans. There are no expenses taken from the money you give, its only used to buy food. If you feel you can make a small contribution of $10 or $20 to this great cause please make out a check to ABCCM-VRQ and put "Christmas Dinner" in the memo line. Mail them to:

Veteran's Restoration Quarters
    and Transitional Housing
    1329 Tunnel Rd
    Asheville, NC 28805

Thank you for reading my post. I also know the economy has put many fellow shooters in financial difficulty, your prayers for these Veterans are just as important as financial help. I wish all of you a Merry Christmas!

Bob Schultz
    Target Shotguns, Inc.
    800-684-6329

2. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

Bob, thank you for bringing this to my attention And GOD Bless you your wife and Everyone that contributes to this Act of kindness. My Check is on the way !!!!!!!!!!!! OK Ts.com people OPEN up that wallet !!!!Joe joe90t

3. Bob Schultz

Thanks, Joe!

Merry Christmas...

4. musky

musky TS Member

Dear sir my name is larry and i am a vet, i will be sending a donation as i believe all our veteran's should have a good christmas. I know a lot of trapshooter's are veteran's and i hope they will donate something to. Merry christmas to you and your wife, you are doing a great thing. Larry.

5. Bob Schultz

Thank you,Larry.

6. tonyabluhm

tonyabluhm TS Member

What an awesome cause!

7. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member

Is anything done for the kids of these vets? We always adopt several kids each Christmas in our home area. Our support will be coming soon...Karla

8. SD Trap Family

SD Trap Family TS Supporters TS Supporters

We will send our support. Thank you for your efforts.

The Bartholow's

9. Bob Schultz

Thank you!! I'll post some pictures of the Dinner after Christmas.

Bob

10. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have volunteered at the local Vets home for 5 years now. It is a very humbing experience. When they see us coming they are all smiles. ( I usually go at breakfast and help serve and when they have special events I go and help wheel them down to the cafeteria where the events are held. These guys and gals really appreciate the attention. I am a Vet so this means a lot to me as well as them. Thanks for what you are doing Bob

11. Bob Schultz

Jim, The VA homes and hospitals all need volunteers. These guys at the VRQ have fallen between the cracks in the VA system and are actually homeless. The reasons are many, but they all deserve a helping hand. Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Bob

12. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Bob. Thanks to you and your wife and crew in helping our Vets. I'm a HUGE supporter and contributor to the Wounded Warrior Project and it's great that people like you take part on the local level. My check will go out on Saturday. To those TS.com'ers... my wife and I contribute to Vet charties every Xmas instead of buying each other presents. I think that's a pretty good idea don't you?

blade819 ( John Granacki, US Army 1966-68)

13. Bob Schultz

Thank you John!

14. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

C'mon guys and gals. I'd hope that some of us could reach a little deeper than a 10 or 20 dollar bill. Here's an opportunity for us to help them directly with a zero overhead. They've done more than their share for us. Thank you Bob for all that you do and a Merry Christmas to you and your family.

15. blade819

Up for Bob and the Veterans. Come on Big Spending Trap Shooters! :eek:)

blade819

16. Bob Schultz

Thanks for your support. Pictures of the dinner will be posted on TS.Com!

Bob

17. Bob Schultz

We are almost there! Thank you for your support of this worthy cause. We have collected almost enough to feed 300+ vets a traditional "all the trimmings" Christmas dinner.

Please see the post above. Contribute if you can and keep our active service men and women and the veterans in your prayers.

Bob

18. blade819

up for Bob and Vets

blade819

19. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Thats great of you Bob..my American Legion chapter also helps out and I've been donating anytime I win turkeys etc. to them as a way to providing feasts..saddens me greatly to see those who served be neglected

20. APrice

APrice Active Member

My check is on the way Bob. I hope it's not too late!

I volunteer one day at week at the local VA hospital, so I can second your opinion that it is very gratifying to be able to lend a hand.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.