1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Feed Latch Frenzy - Remington 1100

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GrandpasArms, Apr 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

Not too long ago I repaired two 1100s for myself by re-installing the feed latch on both of them. I staked one and glued the other. They both continue to function flawlessly. Naturally, thinking I'm quite the smith, I started on another and, as expected, the feed latch fell out. No big deal, right?

I can't get the darn thing inserted again. If I align the small trigger assembly pin with the hole in the latch and clamp it in place the springy section doesn't spring. It seems to be getting hung up on something. I've even tried a different feed latch. Same story. I also removed the magazine spring and follower. I have thoroughly cleaned the channel the spring fits in.

This is a 1966 1100 that was working well before I got to it, so I know the parts are correct. Can anyone shed some light on how I can get that spring to act like it should?

Larry Frieders |
    Grandpa's Arms, Inc. |
    http://www.grandpasarms.com |
    340 Marshall Ave #100 | Aurora, IL 60506 |
    Monday through Friday, 9am to 5pm |
    Office: 630.859.0333 Cell: 630.992.7513 FAX: 630.859.0114

2. Mr. Flinch

Mr. Flinch Member

The follower itself probably needs to be replaced. Over time they can wear and protrude too far out of the magazine tube and interfere with the feed latch. I had the problem once myself. Mark

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Does it stick in the slot or is the end above the slot and won't go in? HMB

4. Mr. Flinch

Mr. Flinch Member

Yes, what hmb asked. I don't know if you tried the latch while the follower and spring were removed. You may need to check the front part of the slot for burrs.

5. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

The feed latch was invented by Remington to teach us patience, control of our temper, and acceptance of failure, frustration and disappointment.

A tribute to the caring attitude of a great American company.

6. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

Thanks for the coaching. I cleaned the spring and the track better and scraped out all of the remaining that someone else had added. I also gently filed down the staking marks from the spring edge. I found that it all went together better if I slid the spring in the track from rear to front - which was fairly easy with the glue applied. Both receivers are clamped and drying. The front trigger pin is tapped in place and the springs work smoothly.

You are 100% correct, dickgtax, about the patience thing. I had time this afternoon and took it. I think I can now install one of these puppies with my eyes closed.

Next project is getting that action spring follower to stay in. Might be best just to order a new one from Brownell's.

Larry

7. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Why don't you just order from Remington? Their prices are cheaper and their
    service is good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

remington 1100 feed latch falls out when breaking down