1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

FEED FOR DOVE HUNTING

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BLACKDOG, Jul 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BLACKDOG

BLACKDOG TS Member

I must be the worse and planting sun flower for dove hunting. I have planted two types of sunflowers, neither one has done well. Both where the expensive type that can be sprayed for weed control. Has anyone experiance with millet for dove and what type was used.

2. BMC

BMC Member

They like white millet. One of the more popular plantings is safflower. They love it. Wheat is popular after its been cut. Be sure to check your state regs on hunting over grain fields, etc.

3. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I used a product called Dove Prosow which is a mixture of millet and several other plants that a dove loves. I did 4 rows of this and then 4 rows of corn and one week before the season opening I mowed two rows of each and you wouldn't believe the dove we had. We have three seasons so just before the next season we would mow one row of each and harrow in two each of the first rows we mowed. One week prior to the last season we did it again and like I said you wouldn't believe the dove we had. In Georgia you can do all this legally but once any crop has left the field you can't put it back.(scattering crack corn is a no no) Jackie B.

4. rocktire

rocktire Member

Just let the ragweeds grow. We had hundreds of acres of our farm ground under water last year and couldn't get them planted. The ragweeds grew like mad. We mowed them down about 2 days before season and plowed the doves for several days. Sunflowers are usually easy to grow. If you are going to spend the kind of money you did on seed and spray you should first take a soil sample and send it to a good lab and ask for recommendations for what you want. That is the best advice I can give you. good luck

5. Old Confederate

Old Confederate TS Member

I have planted buckwheat. It is easy to plant, makes a pretty white field when it is blooming and honey bees love it. I don't have bees but I like buckwheat honey. Bushhog the buckwheat before dove season. Doves love it. We tried sunflowers several years but some kind of a little tweety bird will set on the flower and eat the seeds as soon as they are ripe and then there is nothing to bushhog. Larry

6. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

Levi, what state are you in?

Go to your parks and wildlife dept. and speak to the biologist.

In Texas, pearl millet, goatweed (late in season), Texas Sunflowers and of course the real sunflowers. The all time best that I have seen is rye grass seeds thrown out on cleared ground (just smooth dirt) about 3 weeks before the season - unbelievable. Corn and maize are okay but they prefer the above. Cannot say enough about the rye grass seeds. Whitewings and Collard Dove like corn and the Mourning will eat it if there is nothing else.

7. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

We have had people arrested for shooting migratory birds over baited fields. Better check local laws.

8. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

You cannot bait fields for migratory birds, period. Speak to your states biologist.

9. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Growing a crop is not the same as baiting a field.

Gne J

10. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

Safflower handsdown!!!!!!!!!In Kalifornia you have to mow it at least 30 days prior to opening day or it is considered baiting!!

11. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

Plant wheat in the fall & do not harvest it. Mow it down 2 weeks before season & you'll run out of shells.

12. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

We buy a Sunflower/millet mixture from Pennington Seed. We broadcast the seed. A bag of seed does one acre. It's $75 a bag shipped. The sunflowers grow up through the millet. We plant by May 15th and spray it with roundup August 5th, and chop 25% by August 15th. We usually disk the chopped millet so the doves can land easily. Our season starts Sept.1st in Ohio. It is legal to chop a standing crop and hunt over it, but you cannnot transport seed into the field from the store or another field.

Last year I row planted sunflowers, but it didn't work as good as this stuff. Doves love millet. The key is to plant early enough, spray it 2 weeks before you want chop, and chop it 10-14 days before the season opens. We then chop a couple runs every week so they have fresh seed. If you plant wheat, windrow it and burn it off. Doves love a nice clean field to land in

13. 1oz

1oz Member

In VA we have planted hybrid sunflowers for the last 6 , 7 years . Last couple years weeds have been bad and Doves love bare ground. This year we are planting both sunflowers and wheat .We may be burning the wheat not sure yet . We generally have excellent shoots for the first season and we often ask the game wardens to join in on the fun . No problem getting you limits with ease.

14. ultramag338

ultramag338 Member

Canola doves by the 1,000's

15. rocktire

rocktire Member

I live in MO and there is a lot of public dove hunting on conservation areas. They plant sunflowers mostly and then mow them down a couple days before season. I have been checked for limit by the game warden every year I hunt there. So if it can be done on conservation department ground and the local game warden is ok with it I am ok with it. This is different than baiting technically, but not really.

16. BLACKDOG

BLACKDOG TS Member

Thank's for the response, I have now found out these sunflowers call Barracuda can only be spraked with a product called Beyond. This stuff is $ 700.00 a gallon, what a shocker. I recently bought some white millet, hope it comes up

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
buckwheat and doves
buckwheat doves

buckwheat for doves

calendarcut sunflowers for dove in va
do doves eat buckwheat
do doves eat rye
planting buckwheat for doves
planting sunflowers for doves