1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

feebay bidding

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by ricks1, Dec 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

here is a heads up on feebay. Look up the bidder, most of the time he is a 20 to 50 % bidder with the seller. TELL you something? rick

2. Hydra

Hydra TS Member

For example? Meaning who?

3. Hydra

Hydra TS Member

Sportshot, Ebay could care less about people or their friends bidding on items. The only thing they care about is MONEY and not HONESTY.

4. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

Here is one to look at on feebay. This had 4 bids and new bidder has 16 bids total . He has bid on sellers items 100% of the time. The only way you can get anything is to snipe it. Item 230317134428

5. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

I checked my last item I had a bid on. There was 12 bids by me but I only bid once. I was not going to be in town when the bidding ended so I put a bid on the item of $32.51 and the bid when I left was $2.58. I got the item at $26.78 and it showed I bid 12 times.

The item was countered bid after each bidder placed their bid. It would have been more bids if the other bidders had not stopped bidding.

So while I am sure it does go on i don't think it is that often. Especially now with all the buy it now going on.

Most sellers insure they will not lose money at the beginning price by padding the shipping and handling.

Rock

Jim

6. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Over the years I've got some bargains on Ebay (this generally happens when I don't expect to win the bid); I have the attitude that I would like the item versus I got to have it. I've never been afraid of losing an item to another bidder and I'm willing to pay what I consider to be a fair price, no more. As with anything which deals with money, there always seems to be ways to attempt to scam you. When it's to Ebay's advantage to maximize the bid, plus the seller's, then it's up to you not to overpay. Also, I've bought some "Buy It Now" items for a fair price. Avoid overpaying for shipping.

7. luvnbearhugs1

luvnbearhugs1 TS Member

Shill bidding runs rampant on Ebay. Most of the time a sure sign that shill bidding has happened is when you get an email within a day letting you know the seller has relisted the item or another one like it. It happens alot. Don't be fooled! Buy it now when the price is right, or use the buy it now/make an offer function if you can. Don't get taken!

Luvn

8. Wahoo

Wahoo TS Member

The Rock, all of those bids in your name showed that eBay was doing exactly what it said it would do, bid for you. Each time the other guys bid, eBay entered a bid for you to show the other bidders that a higher bid was made earlier and no one had equaled it at that point so it was still the high bid. If one of those guys had bid $32.52 you would be out as eBay does not bid for you once your maximum bid has been exceeded.

I have bought and sold hundreds of items on eBay but am getting out. They now require that you buy and sell using Pay Pal only, no money ordrs, checks, etc. This is because eBay owns Paypal and gets a cut of every transaction, therefore their profits wil increase substantially.

Once I have sold some items such as old fishing tackle and reels and old metallic loading presses that need a wide, not local, market I will cancel out eBay for good. This is what happens when a woman owns a business. eBay is a bureaucratic nightmare now, it used to be simple and quick but now it is trying to be Big Brother.

9. luvnbearhugs1

luvnbearhugs1 TS Member

Wahoo,

A woman owning the business has NOTHING to do with why they have changed their practices. It's just greed which can come in any gender.

Luvn

10. thomaslea1

thomaslea1 Member

That's one of the thing I like about GunBroker.com. They have a 15 minute rule. If there's a bid in the last 15 minutes the ending time is reset to 15 minutes from the bid. Absolutely great for the seller. If there's a couple of folks bidding at the last minute the auction stays open until it sells.

11. Hydra

Hydra TS Member

Luvnbear1, I have found at an auction that 95% of the time a woman will out bid a person because SHE DOES NOT WANT TO COME UP SECOND PLACE. She is going to win. Ebay has a woman owner who to my understanding is Jewish. In the past she tried to jack up her prices and within a week lowered the prices back down. She was loosing money left and right. By telling everyone to use PP that is like a mining co paying its workers co money and the only place they can use that so called money is in their co store with inflated prices. Ebay is no differance. By using PP they hope to stop those people who were lets say are paying under the table and avoiding or trying to pay Ebay their %. She is just trying to milk it members on everything she can. In time she will find out that is not the way to do things. I just hope the members just sit back and wait her out like they did before.

12. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Hydra, your information on the "owners" of Ebay are grossly incorrect. Meg Whitman, was the former PRESIDENT of Ebay, she stepped down in early 2008, although she remains a Director. To my knowledge, there has never been a woman owner. Actually, Ebay was started by a couple of guys. Please look up Meg Whitman on Google. She's quite the well educated businesswomen as well as a philanthropist.

What I find worse than your apparent lack of respect for women business owners, is your comment about her possible religion. Tell me what being Jewish has to do with the price of tea in China (or in this case a woman in business)? Your comment is just a bit out of line, IMO.

I buy on Ebay -- I bid when I want something, if I'm outbid, I guess I didn't want it that bad. I buy from the same sellers quite frequently -- that doesn't make me a shill, I just appreciate their goods and business. It works both ways -- gender has nothing to do with being outbid by anyone.

Do I like PayPal? Nope never did, but it's better than the old days of sending money orders and waiting for days for my item to be delivered. My banking information is safe and I don't pay one cent for using it. If I get a refund (which I have in the past), it's put right back to my PP account so I can use it later.

Use it or not, bid or not, your choice. This is my opinion and in this day and age, that's all we seem to have left.

13. Hydra

Hydra TS Member

Browning4me, well then who was that lady that was on a talk show then? The one who said she was the owner of Ebay the one who said she started ebay? The one that said she is Jewish? The info I put out is not something I dreamed up but info that came from the so called owner. I feel your in the wrong and not me. Soon or one day ebay will start to charge not only the seller but the winners as well. Greed is greed. Ebay will sooner or later cut their own throat whether its a male or female running it.

14. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

The History of eBay

eBay was founded in Pierre Omidyar's San Jose living room back in September 1995. It was from the start meant to be a marketplace for the sale of goods and services for individuals.

In 1998, Pierre and his cofounder Jeff Skoll brought in Meg Whitman to sustain the success. Meg had studied at the Harvard Business School and had learned the importance of branding at companies such as Hasbro.

Meg culled her senior staff from companies such as Pepsico and Disney, created an experienced management team with an average of 20 years of business experience and built a strong vision for the company -- that eBay is a company that's in the business of connecting people, not selling them things.

They quickly shed the image of only auctioning collectibles and moved into an array of upscale markets where the average sale price (ASP) is higher. ASP is a key metric in determining eBay's transaction fees, so increasing the ASP became an important item. By forging partnerships with namebrands such as GM, Disney and Sun, eBay has managed to do exactly that. Sun has sold
    $10 million worth of equipment and it now lists between 20 and 150 items per day.

The Business Model

eBay has built an online person-to-person trading community on the Internet, using the World Wide Web. Buyers and sellers are brought together in a manner where sellers are permitted to list items for sale, buyers to bid on items of interest and all eBay users to browse through listed items in a fully automated way. The items are arranged by topics, where each type of auction has its own category.

eBay has both streamlined and globalized traditional person-to-person trading, which has traditionally been conducted through such forms as garage sales, collectibles shows, flea markets and more, with their web interface. This facilitates easy exploration for buyers and enables the sellers to immediately list an item for sale within minutes of registering.

Browsing and bidding on auctions is free of charge, but sellers are charged two kinds of charges:

When an item is listed on eBay a nonrefundable Insertion Fee is charged, which ranges between 30 cents and $3.30, depending on the seller's opening bid on the item.

A fee is charged for additional listing options to promote the item, such as highlighted or bold listing.

A Final Value (final sale price) fee is charged at the end of the seller's auction. This fee generally ranges from 1.25% to 5% of the final sale price.
    eBay notifies the buyer and seller via e-mail at the end of the auction if a bid exceeds the seller's minimum price, and the seller and buyer finish the transaction independently of eBay. The binding contract of the auction is between the winning bidder and the seller only.

15. Juno

Juno TS Member

I have got GREAT deals on eBay. I recently purchased a $700 exhaust system for $300. That included shipping.

16. Hydra

Hydra TS Member

Juno thanks for posting that. You did a far better job then someone else.

17. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Thanks Juno, I didn't want to clog up the thread with that much information, but I'm glad you did.

Hydra, you totally missed my point and that's ok. I'll just leave things as they are and go on my way.

18. Hydra

Hydra TS Member

Browning4 me, your was an attack. Jbbor was not.

19. luvnbearhugs1

luvnbearhugs1 TS Member

Hydra,

Browning4me's reply was not an attack and neither is mine. You are using outdated and incorrect sterotypes to justify your cause. If you don't like Ebay and Paypal, don't use them. Simple enough? And I have news for you Hydra, women are not the only ones who over bid on Ebay because they have the need to win something whether it is a good deal or not. I am not one of those women. The bids I make are what I feel fair market value is on something and if I want it bad enough, I bid on it. But ONLY if I want it. I have made multiple purchases of higher dollar items including jewelry, and musical equipmment.

Sounds to me like you have a serious case of sour grapes because someone sniped you out of something you wanted to buy. You are venting that rage by saying that the this is what happens when a female owns a company. You then go on to say that she must be Jewish because of the business practices they employ.

If someone is going to rip you off the only stereotype is to be HUMAN. It doesn't matter what gender, race, or religious pursuasion. But I don't think you were ripped off. Given your inability to see the other views expressed in this thread and your misinterpretation of what Browning4me said, whatever happened to you on Ebay was probably a misunderstanding.

I have used Ebay since 1997 and Paypal since 2000, buying and selling. I have had good deals and bad ones but never has it ocurred to me to blame the owners and President of Ebay for my own transactions, good or bad.

Boy the winter has come on quickly this year.

Luvn

20. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

can we say highjacked. I can care less who owns the place. Some of you dont know how to read the bidder info. He is no longer a bidder under that name [I contacted feebay] He will return Iam sure. I used to hate the snipeing , now its a game . I have got several good emails. If you dont think it works , There was a new Spolar,never used sold for 551.51. I missed by 1 sec my bid was 552.51. He may have put top bid in at 1500. but there were 5 bidders in last hour . so i dought he went that high

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.