1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Feds want reporting for high-powered rifle sales

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gdbabin, Dec 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Check out the below...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101220/ap_on_re_us/us_gun_sales_reporting_2

To be honest, I have mixed feelings.

Guy Babin

2. MikeyLikesIt

MikeyLikesIt TS Member

How about we impliment this as soon as Mexico stops the flow of drugs into the US. Seems to me like they made their bed and now they don't want to sleep in it.

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    But but but Janet Napalahoweveryouspellit stated just the other day that the borders are secure, so how can it be possible that guns are being smuggled into Mexico?

4. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Mixed feelings, seriously? Right here is why gun control is a problem in this country. Why should semi automatics have to be reported on? This won't reduce any crime or illegal activities with firearms, the only person this is going to affect is the law abiding gun buyer.

Mexico is out of control, how about we close our borders until they get their shit straight? Why should their failure as a country punish us as gun owners? I believe anything above .22lr is banned in Mexico, so why don't we go and force all of those down by the border to report when any "large" quantity of ammunition is purchased that isn't .22lr? I'm sure the media believes the ammo must be coming from the USA also , and we all know how the media considers a few hundred rounds of anything to be an arsenal.

5. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

Nice post Rich219... Screw Mexico, Screw all the other countries on the planet that are screwed up while the population refuses to change things!

Seems things in this very country were screwed up a couple hundred years or so ago and guess what.... We the people f ck ng corrected it....

6. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

You are trying to apply common sense to a situation that lacks it. That is your first mistake. Jeff

7. Brian in Oregon

Rich - absolutely spot on.

8. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

How about a ban on all the heroin, cocaine, meth and human traffic that flows north like a river?

9. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

The ban on CRAP flowing North already exists; we STILL as a nation treat the symptoms and not the cause....

I fear our country is too far gone to take that action needed to stop drug smuggling, human trafficking, and general illegal immigration.

The only way to stop the dealing is to stop the demand.

You want to stop illegal immigration, then let's piss off the republicans and democrats and fine employers, non-negotiable, no mitigation, an honest $10,000.00 per head with a minimum mandatory 10 years in prison for the employer. How many illegal landscapers and roofers, etc… will there be within 1 month of the enactment of that law?

Of course for that to work we will need a national identification card, i.e., your social security card that is actually updated with biometric information to prove citizenship or legal residency, and of course that will freak out a certain population of the citizenry because that will be to “big brotherish.” Again, just thoughts that if placed into practice would be better than what we are doing now…. I am not foolish enough to think they will be implemented.

The the U.S. tax payers no longer should be required to provide medical care, education, and food stamps. Babies born to illegal alien parents should not be automatically granted citizenship.

To stop the drug use, well, do your own research and see how China and other Asian countries have dealt with the vast majority of its population being addicted to opium products... Part of the solution is public execution… probably not going to get approved in our nation.

Regardless, we have pissed away over a billion dollars (my guess without research) and too many LEO lives trying to stop the "DEALER," whether it be stuff or people. It STILL (as in nothing has changed in 3 decades plus) has still not changed.

Punishment STILL needs to be swift and severe (hence a reason to keep the folks who don’t have moral and ethical objectivity to “stay honest”) to deter crime.

10. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

I seem to remember that anytime an American President has asked the Mexican government to take stronger action to stem the flow of drugs, AND ILLEGALS..into the USA....we've been told that it's OUR fault because we're the source of the demand. Well folks....I'm telling the Mexicans the same thing. If YOUR CITIZENS didn't crave those weapons..there would be no market. Fix your own problem. Isn't it interesting...they don't want us to seal the border...but they DO want more controls on our own citizens. Fascinating....
    IF we had a President with a pair...he'd be breaking out in loud gut-busting laughter on national TV at the very idea.

11. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

While I have absolutely no interest in "black guns" and Pennsylvania's game laws prohibit autoloading rifles and handguns for hunting, I feel all gun owners must stand together. By the same token, I dislike choppers but would park my sport-tourer in a line of them if their riding or ownership rights were being threatened.

The best thing we gun owners can do is not allow our ranks to become divided by the type of guns we own and enjoy. Remember when Klinton just wanted to control "assault weapons" in this country? As soon as his ban was inacted, he started making noises about handguns.

Antis of all kinds have to be stopped before they gain any momentum.

Ed

12. andybull

andybull Active Member

Prohibition doesn't work. It does however enables to maintain a lot of people employed, jails open, enforcement departments in place. Legalize drugs and tax them.

13. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Why not just invade Mexico???

Launch a Blitzkrieg invasion. Most of those Peons would welcome us anyway.

All our jobs are there already.

Regards....Gerald

14. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

The Fed wants dealer to report any attempt to make 2 rifle purchases by the same person at the same store within 5 days of each other. So what do they do? Let the media broadcast it to everybody. Makes perfect sense to me.

MK

15. Brian in Oregon

AveragEd, quote: <i>"While I have absolutely no interest in "black guns" and Pennsylvania's game laws prohibit autoloading rifles and handguns for hunting, I feel all gun owners must stand together....

The best thing we gun owners can do is not allow our ranks to become divided by the type of guns we own and enjoy. Remember when Klinton just wanted to control "assault weapons" in this country? As soon as his ban was inacted, he started making noises about handguns."</i>

Spoken like a true champion of the Second Amendment.

Divide and conquer has worked very well for the anti's. It's how they've banned new machineguns. It's how they managed to ban semi-auto imports. It's how they stopped all firearms imports from some countries including sporting rifles. It's how they've shut down trap ranges, and other ranges. It's how they've universally forced steel shot for waterfowl hunting. It's how they've banned lead in popular hunting areas. It's how they've made you apply for a permit for your rights in others. It's how they've banned handguns in some cities. It's how they've banned some rifles and shotguns in others. It's how they've made it difficult to buy ammo in some states. Etc.

And the unfortunate part about the divide and conquer ploy is that the anti's can always find some foolish gun owner to support them, who proclaims he's a pro-gunner while twisting the knife in the backs of his brothers.

16. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Ed, what was the explanation or reasons given for banning semi-auto rifles and handguns for hunting in PA? I'd bet the guys owning BARs were mighty pizzed?

"Pennsylvania's game laws prohibit autoloading rifles and handguns for hunting," In part.

Hap

17. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

A lot of PA hunting is done in thick brush and woodland.

Can't you just imagine some nimrod getting target fixation on a trophy 3-point and lighting off a half dozen rounds from semi-auto while he swings through his drivers?

If a hunter doesn't take a careful 1st shot with a semi-auto, the chances of the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th shots being MORE carefully aimed are slim, little and none.

MK

18. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

What MK said.

Bascially, we currently living Pennsylvania hunters never had to get over any ban of autoloading rifles and handguns because as long as I've been hunting (and I'm almost 64 years old), they've been illegal. If a hunter can't get a second shot off quickly enough with a pump-action rifle or double-action revolver, a semi probably isn't going to be quick enough, either. I've never had a deer shoot back so my bolt-action rifles have afforded me all the firepower I've ever needed.

And to expound upon MK's thoughts, several area gun clubs have banned autoloading firearms from their ranges because of damage done by shooters whose only goal seems to be seeing how quickly they can empty a magazine with little to no regard to where the bullets are going. About the only permissible use of them at many clubs is during organized matches.

Having said that, however, I still support the responsible use of any firearm and will do what I can to oppose any legislation against ownership of them.

Ed

19. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

Few things raise my hackles or disgust me more than left wing Democrat party attacks on the Second Amendment. THAT SAID....there is ONE thing that makes me waaayyyy more angry. That is when I'm standing at a Trapshoot and hear one of my fellow shooters make some kind of assnine statement to the effect of "I don't care about them banning those black rifles...who needs one of those".
    If we allow our ranks to be split into factions over what's OK to ban......we're DONE.

20. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Here's what they want to do!

"The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) is moving to require federally licensed firearms retailers to report multiple sales of modern sporting rifles beginning January 5, 2011. Specifically, the ATF requirement calls for firearms retailers to report multiple sales, or other dispositions, of two or more .22 caliber or larger semi-automatic rifles that are capable of accepting a detachable magazine and are purchased by the same individual within five consecutive business days."

Read the full notice by the NSSF here:
    http://www.nssfblog.com/atf-to-require-multiple-sales-reports-for-long-guns/

Read the full ATF document proposing this illegal move here: (PDF)
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/documents/atf.pdf

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.