1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

FedEx REFUSES TO SHIP A SHOTGUN!!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by robertb, Oct 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robertb

robertb TS Member

FedEx refused to ship a well boxed shotgun yesterday in Montrose Ohio.First they demanded that I (the shipper) have an FFL(I had copy of the recievers FFL).They finally agreeing to ship only if I send it w/ an air bill(next day air)at over twice the cost!I've shipped FedEx for many years with no problems,but looks like they have goon the way of
    ups...restrictive,overpriced shipping practices.

2. headhunter

headhunter Well-Known Member

That's BS. It must be someone at the counter who doesn't know what they are doing. They tried that on me one time until the supervisor came out and told her what to do. As long as there is no ammo with it, should be like any other box of crap they ship around the country. The thing about shipping that gets me is you are hiring these shippers to deliver something for you,in undamaged condition. yet you have to buy insurance yourself (At inflated rate) in case they don't do the job that you hired them for.... I don't know maybe it's me

3. alf174

alf174 Member

Have never had a problem with USPS, maybe its my local office.

4. BarryA

BarryA Member

As a small FFL dealer I ship mostly handguns. UPS admitted to me that their requirement for next-day air shipping on handguns is that they have so much internal theft that the only way to cut down on the problem was the shorter delivery time. Because I choose to be honest about the contents, I pay the price. Effecively, as the shipper, I'm paying to control a problem they can't fix. Long guns are still accepted for ground shipping. Most people (FFL's) dont realize that you can legally ship a handgun by Priority Mail if you submit their Form # 1508 at the time of shipping. Most of the USPS counter people have to look the form number up.

Barry

5. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

After using FedEx for five years as my shipper I needed to send a shot gun to Washington state. The buyer wanted me to send it by ground. I printed the label using the FedEx program and took it to the Tampa hub. I had just got home when FedEx called wanting to know what was in the box. I told the girl a cased shotgun. I was told that I had to come back to FedEx right away as they , FedEx, could not ship the gun as labeled. Returning to the hub I was informed by the counter girl that the gun would have to be shipped Over night Express as it was a "gun" (shotgun). All guns have to shipped Over Night Express according to her. If it was a rifle that would be okay as it would have a different mechanism. A supervisor was not available for help. Took the box to local US Post Office. No problem, have a nice day. Later in the month when I got my credit card statement FedEx had charged me for the shipment they had refused. They live and breed among us.
    MIke Battista

6. tinylo

tinylo TS Member

USPS has never asked any questions other than the "hazardous, perishable, dangerous..." question.

I use them all the time. My branch is friendly and the package always gets there.

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I use the local Fed Ex all the time with no problems. I do not have an ffl but I always get one from the dealer I am shipping to but they have never asked for it at fed Ex

8. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

I bought an antique trap over Ebay, and was not at home to receive it. It came in Fed-Ex and left on the outside porch. Neighbor put it on an enclosed porch and told us when we arrived back home a month later, the way we saw it is the way it was delivered..My God, it must have gone through a plane crash...When I opened it, there was was very adequate packing, and yet there layed the broken off adjuster handle...All the good packing in the world could not have prevented it after seeing this parcel's condition ...

This isn't the first time I had bad items received from Fed-ex...Give me USPS or UPS any day !!!

Dave in SC

9. capvan

capvan Active Member

A long time ago, I was in the printing/mailing business. I had a mailing of 5,000 pieces. Went to three post offices to get a mailing cost. Got three different prices. And you trust the USPS?

cap

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Stupid counter monkeys are not limited to any one shipper.

Losttarget.com has links so you can print the rules for each of them. Print a copy and have it in your pocket to wave in the cretin's face when you get crap.

HM

11. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Just this past Tuesday, I shipped an 870 Competition from south-central Pennsylvania to Oregon via the Post Office. All they wanted was a copy of the license for the dealer to whom it was being sent. The cost was $18.00 plus $9.36 for $800 worth of insurance.

Ed

12. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I had an episode with FedEx a few months ago, shipping a firearm for service. I went to a "depot" and the ill-informed counter person would accept the long firearm for "ground" service, but would not allow me to buy additional insurance over $100. I knew that was wrong... but no matter how much I protested, she wouldn't budge.

So I took the carton and sat in my car and called FedEx customer service. after a brief conversation in which the c/s clerk confirmed my understanding, they transferred me to the depot manager at the facility I was parked at...

Imagine the original clerks surprise (and irritation) when I walked back in and she was relieved in my presence and the manager processed my transaction correctly and with a profuse apology...

Don't take NO for an answer!

regards all,

Jay

13. acre44

acre44 Member

FEDEX sucks, especially truck freight. We had to order some very large items for our organization, cost us over $4,000. It could only trucked truck freight due to weight 800+ pounds and size 25' x 8'. It took over 1 week to get to us. Boxes were all banged up, paint was rubbed off due to another item leaning up against our box. We were missing over half the clips and bolts to our item. They had opened up during transit and someone taped what was left to the outside of the box. One thing was bent. The guy delivering said oh well it was on 7 trucks from CA to NJ. I marked damage on the shipper and the trucker noted it. They did make good on the claim and got us replacement parts shipped and paid for by FEDEX. Guess what? The replacement arrived DAMAGED and we were to get 2 packages and only got one. ANOTHER CLAIM! I fixed the bent part and just wanted my clips. I told FEDEX to ship them via REGULAR FEDEX or else UPS or USPS! I would never use FEDEX for anything!

Ned.

14. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

I use USPS with complete satisfaction.

Long guns, are no problem and if I want to mail a handgun, it needs to go FFL to FFL, which is also no problem as I happen be be a FFL holder.

There is a form called form 1508 that just certifies that the recipient is a FFL holder and the PO has a copy of my FFL on file in case I have to deal with a newby down there.

Priority mail and insure for the value of the gun and that is that.

15. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Essentially lots of incompetent people not knowing their jobs, to the detriment of their employers. This is just what we here, as shotgunners are aware of. Can you imagine what goes on elsewhere? The lost revenues, wasted time, inconvenience, etc.

16. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

USPS, registered and insured, never a problem, don't ask, don't tell.

17. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Isn't insurance suppose to be an option? I mean, if my neighbor takes possession of one of my belongings and losses it or damages it he is liable via his acceptance of responsibility. Would seem the same with a package to me. I think the 'insurance' is nothing more than an added gouge. I see this practice also with some component sellers. They automatically want to add an insurance charge for items that are almost indestructable. It's a scam if you ask me. Theft within the company sounds like a 'personal' problem to me. As is the handling of a package that bends hardened steel in transit. Some of those guys treat 'fragile' as if the package said 'frisbee' on the label. Jim

18. JLSO5

JLSO5 Member

None of the local owned Fed-ex or UPS stores will ship any kind of gun. I have to take it to a hub where they will send long guns any way you want but hand guns are over night. My ins. carrier the one advertised by NSSA and NSCA will not cover the gun unless it is declared on the shipping label.

19. JLSO5

JLSO5 Member

None of the local owned Fed-ex or UPS stores will ship any kind of gun. I have to take it to a hub where they will send long guns any way you want but hand guns are over night. My ins. carrier the one advertised by NSSA and NSCA will not cover the gun unless it is declared on the shipping label.

20. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Local owned UPS or Fedex are not allowed to ship guns. Go to their web sites and look at the rules for shipping a gun, print it out to take with you so you can show the ignorant employees their own rules. You hear bad and good about all the shippers it all depends on the people you are dealing with. I could be wrong but I strongly suspect that all of them have a few anti-gun employees who like to make it aggravating for gun owners.

Don't forget if you ship something contrary to the company policy, even though they let you do it, they will not pay off your insurance. So if you are dropping off your guns at a shipping store instead of the hub you may as well not pay for insurance because it won't be worth a dam.

It is a scam when you pay the people who are doing the shipping extra to insure that they will do it right. I wish I could get that deal at my job.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.