1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

FEDEX now requires firearms to be shipped overnigh

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by g7777777, Mar 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I just checked that out myself when someone reported to me that they had that issue. It also says something about gun parts, which I think means the serial numbered receiver.

I have always had problems with UPS-

I guess we could try sending emails to FEDEX and complaining about this.

Regards from Iowa

Gene

2. BeerKing

BeerKing Active Member

Just sent a gun last week and was told the same thing. Send it from FFL to FFL and it can go ground. Send it personally to FFL and has to go next day air.

3. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Sent one a week ago to an FFL via ground and they did not mind. Told the driver at pick-up exactly what it was and he did not care that it was going Ground.

4. capvan

capvan Active Member

I used to be a FedEx Ground driver. We are all independent contractors. Don't believe much of what a driver tells you. We were the very last people to know about changed rules...

cap

5. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

They did it in order to try and stop the "five finger discount" that was going on with their employee's.

6. pheasantsgalore

pheasantsgalore Active Member

Depends on the FedEx, and UPS people at your location. Totally uneducated, period. The individual offices make up their own laws.

7. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Sent one today and 4 in the last 2 weeks via Ground.

8. Michael Gregory

Michael Gregory Member

Kommiefornia, but North Idaho soon... REALLY!
    Yep, what timberfaller just said. This rule has actually been in place for a number of years now, and was their answer to the fact that their own employees (the loaders) were stealing guns. From what I heard at the time, they'd do things like throwing the boxes over a nearby fence when nobody was looking, then retreive them later, or call a friend to retrieve them. Apparently Next day air packages move so fast that there is little time for this to happen, so we all get to pay for it! I get away with shipping slower most of the time, but only when shipping from here at my shop. If I take it to a FEDEX hub, they usually catch me on it. I have looked it up in their rule book and read it chapter and verse. This rule is a fact, unfortunately, but some employees enforce it, and some do not. Mike

9. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

Just shipped 4 seperate gun shipments on Monday. All went express saver. NQA.

10. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Go to the FedEx website and click on "Ground Tariff" and then click "firearms"... unless specifically prohibited by state or local laws, an individual can ship a long gun "Ground" to a manufacturer, importer or dealer (FFL).

Do not take NO for an answer.

I had a situation a year or so ago (which I previously posted) where the FedEx depot would not accept increased insurance on a "Ground" package (90T)... from the parking lot, I called FedEx (800#), complained, confirmed and asked to be connected to the depot manager on a conference call...

Imagine the clerks surprise and attitude, when I walked back in and was greeted by the manager, who then apologized and relieved the clerk in my presence to log in my package personally...

Do not take NO for an answer!

regards all,

Jay

11. EXFDX

EXFDX Member

The first rule for an Express station manager (can't speak for the Ground Division) is "Don't leave anything around that hasn't shipped out". It's a security hassle and just generally bad business. The longer it sits in the system, the better the chance something will happen to it. This is why if you send stuff the cheapest way, it will often go overnight anyway. Ditto for USPS stuff - FedEx ships a lot of it and if it will fit on the aircraft it will go overnight. The culture is "just don't leave stuff sitting around."

Doc

12. Bob Griffith

Bob Griffith Member

EXFDX sent you a PM

13. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

The local FEDEX guy may be misinterpreting the rule about hand guns. Hand guns shipped from an individual have to be shipped by a common carrier, and overnight. Long guns do not.

14. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Got three long guns from fed ex in the last week one of them today. Two out of Ca. one out of Ok. none shipped overnite. I call BS on this. Bill

15. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I just read that - linked from the main webpage and you are correct they should take it

When I searched earlier I found a Fedex memo that said they would not take them ground.

Odd

I am going to talk to the person that shipped and suggest he ask for a refund

Gene

16. Michael Gregory

Michael Gregory Member

More information: This is from their website, under the FEDEX express section...

Firearms
    1)FedEx Express will transport and deliver firearms as defined by the United States Gun Control Act of 1968, between areas served in the U.S., but only between:

A)Licensed importers; licensed manufacturers; licensed dealers; licensed collectors; law enforcement agencies of the U.S. or any department or agency thereof; and law enforcement agencies of any state or any department, agency or political subdivisions thereof; or

B)Where not prohibited by local, state and federal law, from individuals to licensed importers, licensed manufacturers or licensed dealers (and return of same).

2)If your shipment contains firearms, select the Direct Signature Required or Adult Signature Required Delivery Signature Option, depending on the requirements of your shipment. See the Delivery Signature Options section for details. Firearms shipments are not eligible for signature release or indirect delivery.

3)Firearms must be shipped via FedEx Priority Overnight service. FedEx Express cannot ship or deliver firearms C.O.D. Firearms shipments cannot be placed in a FedEx Express Drop Box.

4)Upon presenting the package for shipment, the person tendering the shipment to FedEx Express is required to notify FedEx Express that the package contains a firearm. The outside of the package must not be marked, labeled or otherwise identify that the package contains a firearm.

5)The shipper and recipient must be of legal age as identified by applicable law.

6)The shipper and recipient are required to comply with all applicable government regulations and laws, including those pertaining to labeling. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives can provide assistance.

7)FedEx Express will transport ammunition when packed and labeled in compliance with local, state and federal law, and the Dangerous Goods section of this Service Guide. Ammunition is an explosive and must be shipped separately as dangerous goods. You agree not to ship loaded firearms or firearms with ammunition in the same package.

17. cbxchris

cbxchris Active Member

USPS. Send it registered mail. Insurance is half of all others. EVERY USPS employee that handles that package has to sign off on it. It gets gone......someone is responsible. I sent a K gun for repair recently for half the cost of fed ex or UPS.

18. Michael Gregory

Michael Gregory Member

And this is under the FEDEX ground section:

Firearms

1)FedEx Ground will transport and deliver firearms (excluding handguns) as defined by the United States Gun Control Act of 1968, between areas served in the U.S., but only between:

A)Licensed importers; licensed manufacturers; licensed dealers; licensed collectors; law enforcement agencies of the U.S. or any department or agency thereof; and law enforcement agencies of any state or any department, agency or political subdivisions thereof; or

B)Where not prohibited by local, state and federal law, from individuals to licensed importers, licensed manufacturers or licensed dealers (and return of same).

2)If your shipment contains firearms, select the Direct Signature Required or Adult Signature Required Delivery Signature Option, depending on the requirements of your shipment. See the Delivery Signature Options section for details. Firearms shipments are not eligible for signature release, driver release or indirect delivery.

3)FedEx Ground cannot ship or deliver firearms C.O.D.

4)Upon presenting the package for shipment, the person tendering the shipment to FedEx Ground is required to notify FedEx Ground that the package contains a firearm. The outside of the package must not be marked, labeled or otherwise identify that the package contains a firearm.

5)The shipper and recipient must be of legal age as identified by applicable law.

6)The shipper and recipient are required to comply with all applicable government regulations and laws, including those pertaining to labeling. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives can provide assistance.

7)FedEx Ground will transport small-arms ammunition when packed and labeled in compliance with local, state and federal law, and the Hazardous Materials section of this Service Guide. Ammunition is an explosive and must be shipped separately as hazardous materials. You agree not to ship loaded firearms or firearms with ammunition in the same package.

8)FedEx Ground will not accept for transport handguns, assembled or disassembled.

19. trap906

trap906 Member

looks to me like it would be much simpler to just not tell anyone whats in the package or mark on outside. just buy the insurance and ship

20. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

trap906....If you do, they do not have to pay the claim.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.