1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Federal using green dot ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by geeber, Apr 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geeber

geeber Member

I had a new paper Federal Premium 2 3/4 dram 1 1/8 oz that didn't fire. Just for my own curiousity,I grabbed my Unloader, and cut it open. To my surprise, the powder was mostly black flakes interspersed with green flakes. It weighed 18.5 grains. I have heard that they don't use the same powder that we do but it sure looked the same as the green dot that I have. Probably a different burning rate.

Gary B.

2. moore5833

moore5833 TS Member

sounds like my 1-1/8 reload

3. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Have heard that Fed. uses a lot of Alliant powders, as you state it's probably their own specs for their shells. If memory serves me correctly (doubtful) I seem to remember back in the early 60s when I 1st started shooting clay tgts some of the Feds. & maybe WW had hulls marked "loaded with Red Dot". Anyway I love them papers, wish I could afford to shoot them all the time. Ross Puls

4. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Fed has used RD and GD for years. Sometimes "no" dots.

5. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

And....with those hot Fed primers + the trash can sized hulls, it's an excellent choice. If they went to the trouble to build a better hull, say at least as good as the STS, they'd take over the reloading market.

best....mike

6. Nebs

Nebs Well-Known Member

Keep mind that Federal and Alliant are owned by the same company. It would make sense for them use Alliant powder in Federal ammo.

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It's Green Dot. HMB

8. geeber

geeber Member

I didn't know Federal and Alliant were of the same company. That does make sense now. I know one thing, I just started using green dot and when the rest of my 700X is gone, it will be green dot all the way. Especially for handicap.

Gary B.

9. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

The fact that they are divisions of the same company hasn't always been so. They have, however, used RD and GD when it was Hercules.

I'm sure Federal has used other powder brands as well. Probably, a house brand of Dupont's PB ... but you could never get Federal to say so. I don't blame them. I'd keep my recipes secret too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.