1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Federal TopGun Reloads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by grnberetcj, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I have loaded (and still do) a few thousand of the Top Gun hulls with very good success. My primary recipe is for long yardage handicap.

1-1/8 oz. of 7-1/2's, 20 grs. of 700X, 12S3 wad, 209A primer, 1250 fps.

As of this writing, I have had no problems.

Curt

2. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

squibb: I have loaded a couple of thousand of these Top Gun hulls. You will have no problem with them as long as you don't load "on the high end". Some will say you need a Federal wad, ( or its clone), due to this hull being a straight walled hull compared to Remington and Winchester which has a tapered wall. I never noticed or had any problem using my DownRange XL-1 in them. I load mostly STS and have used the same wad, primer and powder in the Top Gun as I do in the STS. They work OK and as they are free for the taking at most gun clubs; that makes them pretty reasonable! I usually just loaded them a couple of times and threw the away. However, a friend of mine loads them exclusively and claims to get at least 6 reloads out of each hull. Ed

3. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

rev:

Until at least the 2004 Reloader's Guide, Alliant published recipes for Top Gun hulls with an ounce and an eighth of lead. These generate low to moderate pressures and run at 1145 or 1200 fps. Alliant also listed a couple of one ounce loads but those are 1290 fps. They also require a wastefully large amount of powder. I've loaded and shot tens of thousands of the 1145 fps version with good results.

As for data, some data appropriate for plastic Gold Medals IS appropriate for Top Guns. Someone will be along shortly to tell you Top Gun and Gold Medal hulls are interchangable. Call either company and they'll give you specific examples. However, if Top Guns and Gold Medals were truly interchangable, it would be a simple matter for Alliant, Hodgdon, etc. to list data under a single heading stating the data is applicable to both. None of them do so.

IMO, all the Cheddite hulls (Rio, Diana, Centurian, and Kemen to name some) are a genuine hassle to load. Their steel heads tend to be taller than those of the Top Guns, Estates**, and Gun Clubs so the Cheddites require considerably more effort to resize. Many also have six point crimps and an unskivved hull mouth. That makes it a b!tch to get a constistently good crimp.

sissy

** Note: Several years ago, Federal bought Estate Cartridge Company. Prior to the acquisition, Estates were made by Cheddite and had a plastic base wad. After the acquisition, Federal changed the Estate base wad to wound paper. Estates and Top Guns then became ballistically identical for reloading purposes.

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

They are fine for 1 and outs. I generally use GM data as I don't load high pressure shells especially for singles and skeet.

ss

5. flybyknight

flybyknight Member

I use the paper basewad Federal an estate hulls for the second shot in doubles. I use: 1 oz #8, 18 gr Clays, 12SO or clone wad, fiochi 209 primer. They run about 1180 fps and are very soft shooting. I use the "1 and done" principal. Bob K

6. shootman

shootman TS Member

For three years now I have loaded top guns with: 18.5gr. solo 1000,fiochi primer,claybuster 12so wad,1oz.#8shotfor 16yrd. line and 20.5 solo1000,fiochi primer, downrange and claybuster wads, 1 1/8 of 71/2 for 25 yrd. line. Load them three times then trash them. never to date had any problems. If you use fed. primers drop down .5gr. on powder. Use 12s3wad on 11/8 load. BOB

7. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

They are my favorite fodder for my sporting auto. The fiber base wad lessens the felt recoil a bit.

My load is: 1 ounce 7-1/2 or 8 shot, 17.6 grains of Hodgdon Clays, Gualandi GU-1222 wad, Chedite 209 primer.

The Gualandi wad is designed for a straight walled hull and seals well in the large inside diameter of the Top Gun case.

Jim Skeel

8. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

the only problem I have had with them is my Spolar tends to bend the head of the shell in enough to cause a ftf once in a while, if I use my Mec they load fine.

I use 1oz. 7.5's 20 gr. greendot, 12so wad......crushes cap's!!!

tony

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

reloading centurian hulls

topgun reloads