1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Federal Top Guns

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by esoxhunter, May 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I just came across a deal on some Federal Top Guns. I purchased a number of flats for $39.95. These were what I wanted. (2-3/4 dram-1 ounce-#8). Usually when you find these at WalMart or wherever all you can get are 3 Dram- 1 1/8 oz loads. I haven't shot Federal shells in years. Are the Top Guns in the same league as Estates, Gun Clubs, etc? Also, years ago I reloaded Top Guns and they seemed to reload just like Gun Clubs. Ed

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

If you ask the sporting goods manager to order you 2 3/4 dram loads they will if they are available and I cannot see why they wouldn't be ... They will order you whatever you want and as many as you want, just make sure you pick them up and don't stick the manager with them ... I have done this on many occasions and never have a problem doing so, this goes for the Premium shells also ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

3. lumper

lumper TS Member

Where was the deal found at?

4. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I found them at a Sport shop in Wisconsin. Normally I reload. However, I live in Arkansas and stay in Wisconsin; June until September. So I didn't want to transport shells up there if I didn't have to. Not only that shells and components in Arkansas are outrageous. I usually bring needed components back when I return to Arkansas. Ed

5. Roger IL

Roger IL TS Member

They shoot just fine but they stink and not like Federal papers.......Roger

6. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I believe Top Guns are identical to Wallymart Federals. I also believe the lead shot is harder than Gun Clubs. I use any of the Cheapies: Super Target, Top Gun, Estate, or Gun Clubs for Singles and Doubles but not for an important Handicap Event. I either shoot my Green Dot reloads with magnum shot or buy premium factory loads. Maybe I'm wasting good money.

7. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

its amazing the garbage you can shoot good singles scores with...

8. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

Those 1180 fps/1 oz TG's are sweet shooters, and they shoot tight----but I haven't seen them with 7 1/2's yet. Great shell, TG's are still $3.99 at Gander.

9. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Top Guns are, for all practical purposes----identicle to Estates.

John C. Saubak

10. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

My everyday price has now gone up to $39.99 on these great shells.
    Don

11. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Old Cowboy:

It appears that the Estates have had harder shot than the Top Guns, or at least it used to be that way. Otherwise they are about identical.

12. bydnsilly3

bydnsilly3 Member

According to the ATK sales rep I spoke to recently, Top Gun and Estate shells are the EXACT same shell with a different color plastic. Shot, powder, wad and primer the same. Neither reload the same as a Gun Club (made by Remington).

Yours in sport,

Bill Myers

13. bydnsilly3

bydnsilly3 Member

According to the ATK sales rep I spoke to recently, Top Gun and Estate shells are the EXACT same shell with a different color plastic. Shot, powder, wad and primer the same. Neither reload the same as a Gun Club (made by Remington).

Yours in sport,

Bill Myers

14. mark mckeehan

mark mckeehan TS Member

I havent looked at the Top Guns, but I know that the Estates and the Wal-Mart Federals appear to be the same shell. Took one of each apart the other night and they have the same exact components and hull, except for the color. I would say that Top Guns, Estates, and Wal-Mart Federals are all the same.

Mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.