1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Federal Top Guns

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by esoxhunter, Apr 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

My son has a ton of Federal Top Guns that he wants to reload. His question is can he utilize the Remington Figure 8 wads that he has; to load these hulls. He would like to refrain from buying another type of wad; as he has a lot of these wads. I remember years ago, I loaded the cheaper Federal trap loads and used the same components that I used to load AA and Remington shells. Never had a problem. Just wondering if a person can use the Figure 8 wads in this hulls?? He uses Fiocchi primers and Promo powder. Thanks. Ed

2. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Please go to the powder (your useing) web site and see for your self . All the data is there .

3. esoxhunter

ALF-99. I did that. However, many times various components can be substituted to achieve a desirable load. I understand the different pressures that can be a concern when "mixing" wads, powders, primers, hulls etc. My question was and remains; has anyone utilized a Figure 8 wad in a Federal Top Gun hull. If so, were there any concerns or advice on the utilization of these components. Ed

4. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Ed.... The Figure 8 wad is for a tapered hull. The Top Gun hull is a straight walled hull. While the Figure 8 can be used, it would be even more efficient if he would use a wad designed for a straight walled hull....Dan Thome (Trap2)

5. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

Ed, I have loaded, with success, Windjammer II wads using promo powder, however I didn't have good success with the Fig. 8 wad for what ever reason. The velocities were inconsistent.

As Dan (Trap2) said the best wads are the Federal wads and the Claybuster clones. They are larger in diameter and seal better. Good Luck BRGII

ALF99: Why are you so sarcastic?

6. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

There is data published for using F-8s in Federal plastic hulls. You will get powder migration around the powder cup. Cut the crimp off a fired Top Gun hull and drop an F-8 wad into the hull to see just how much slop there is in it. The finer-grained the powder, the more migration you'll see. These are cheap, weak hulls that were not designed to be reloaded, but if you have your mind set on it, use the proper wad.

Morgan

7. esoxhunter

Thanks guys. I think he was thinking of reloading them once or twice and then discarding them. I would agree the proper wad would probably be the right choice. I think he has about 2500 of them. If he purchases 5000 wads; it will allow him to load each hull twice and he still has his Figure 8's left to load his Gun Club and STS hulls. Ed

8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Using a corse grained powder such as Promo, Red Dot, Clays, Solo 1000, REX I, and keeping pressures around 9000 psi will help your loads. The coming of Spring and Summer will help too.

Remington's Figure 8, RXP12, R12L, and R12H are recommended by Alliant in Federal Top gun and Gold Medal hulls, depending on application.

Load up a box or two and go to the range.

9. IM390

IM390 Member

I've loaded them with figure 8s and TGT with no problem depending on how you are going to use them. My load was 18.5 grains of Clays with Fed 209a primer gave me 1120 fps ave in a 1 1/8 ounce load which yield excellent patterns. I have also done something similar with 18.7 grains of Red Dot with the same components which up'ed the velocity to 1180 fps ave.

10. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

The Top Gun hull is a straight wall hull. The thickness of the plastic tube is thinner than a Federal Gold Medal tube. That means the inside diameter of the Top Gun hull is bigger than a Federal Gold Medal. If you reload the Top Gun with a wad designed for a tapered hull you will have powder migration around the powder seal and some failures of the powder seal to function properly.

The Top Gun hull should be reloaded with a wad designed for a straight wall hull. Federal wads (12SO, 12S3) will work well in the Topp Gun. Gualandi makes a very good wad for the straight wall hull. Take a look at the GU-1222, GU-1225 and GU-1227 wads from Graf & Sons.

Jim Skeel

11. dbart1948

dbart1948 Member

Question #1. I can not locate any published data from a powder manufactor which specifies "Federal Top Gun" shells. In reloading these shells, how would these shells be identified? Are they similar to Federal Gold Medal?

Thanks in advance.

Dave

12. thunder

thunder Active Member

I beleive that Alliant has reloading data for them in their reloading book. Hope this helps.

13. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Federal 12S0 for one ounce and Federal 12S3 for 1 1/8. Federal primer 209A, 18.0 - 18.6 grains of Promo or Red Dot. The Fiocchi primer has been nothing but grief for me in colder weather with these powders and it gives a little more inconsistency even when it's warm. I'd rather use the RIO primer than the Fiocchi "in THIS load" (similar to Federal in performance in these loads) and toss the hulls after the first loading. There is just a little loading data out there from Alliant, but I found some in the Lyman book and other sources as well. I used the Remington Figure 8 a few times in a similar load and was not pleased with the results. The Fig 8 was intended for a tapered hull and the Federal (or claybuster and downrange clones) were intended for straight tubes. You CAN use the Figure 8, but you might not like the results, especially with the Fiocchi primers.

These hulls have a tendency to leak around the primer pocket after a couple of loadings. Using an oversized primer like the RIO or NobelSport for the second/last loading would help to resolve that. ALWAYS inspect the inside of the hulls for base wad swelling due to moisture and any other issues. Use a good strong light when you do. Toss them if there is any question or if something is looking back at you from the inside.

14. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

"Question #1. I can not locate any published data from a powder manufactor which specifies "Federal Top Gun" shells. In reloading these shells, how would these shells be identified? Are they similar to Federal Gold Medal?"

From an email reply I received to a request:

For the Top Gun hull, I recommend that you use data for the Federal Gold Medal plastic hull...."

Ben Amonette<br>
    Consumer Service Manager<br>
    Alliant Powder Company
    Morgan

15. dbart1948

dbart1948 Member

Morgan - Thank you for the information.

Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

federal trapshooters