1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Federal Top Guns

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tomr1, Sep 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomr1

tomr1 Member

Wal-Mart has Federal Top Guns for $4.77/box. Are they the equivalent to the Winchester Super Target?

2. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

They're better

3. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Much better....and they reload very nicely!!

Curt

4. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Fed put out Top Gun ammo about 30+(Maybe even 40?) yrs ago before the import craze hit. It was to offer a cheaper alternative to the Gold Medal. They kicked harder than a similar Dram Eq Gold Medal,at least it seemed that way to me. I suspect this was due to the fibre base construction & different powder. Don't remember the wad but was not the S-3 Gold Medal. Guys absolutely loved them.

5. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Top Guns and Estates (same thing, Estates have better shot) are the best deal going if your not buying premium ammo.

6. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

How do you know Estates have better shot? The Top Guns seem to work very well for handicap.

7. skeet_man

Estates use Magnum shot, Top Guns use "hard" shot. This was reaffirmed to me by a federal sponsored shooter last weekend as well.

8. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

And this "Federal sponsored shooter" shoots Estates???

9. skeet_man

Actually he shoots Gold Medals.

10. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

As much as they get trashed on this forum, apparently WalMart and Dick's don't hold grudges, because $4.77 is a heck of a price for Top Guns and Dick's is selling Gun Clubs for $4.98.

11. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I believe that Top Guns and Estates are identical in every way since they are made at the same place in Anoka MN. It is my experience that Winchester Super Targets are better for long yardage Handicap than Top Guns.

12. batman1004

batman1004 TS Member

skeet man 100% right on the estates. geo 3

13. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I shot doubles with a Federal rep at the Ohio State shoot. He said they are exactly the same except for case color and printing. Made in the same plant.

Really, who cares as long as they go bang and break the targets?

14. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Ian, just what is the difference between magnum shot and hard shot??? I've come to understand Magnum shot is 5-6 percent antimony while most of the economies are at 3 percent antimony. Just where would you place the Top Guns???

Mike so if Winchester makes the Winchester Super Targets and the Winchester Double AA shells at the same plant they would also be same as well!!! If I were to follow your logic!!! break em all Jeff

15. skeet_man

As far as I know, the Estates have 6%, and the TG have 3%

16. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I normally use either premium shells or my own Green Dot reloads with West Coast magnum shot for registered Handicap events. I was not pleased with the quality of breaks when using Top Guns but I did get some decent Handicap scores using Super Targets which are the most popular shells here in Western Canada. My personal opinion - no logic involved.

17. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Federal owns Estate. Top Gun and Estates are both a "B" grade shell. For anything at the 16 yard line they're both sufficent to break targets. Federal Top Gun is the superior shell and hull.

Remington Gun Clubs.....a bit more thump and I see alot more unburned powder when cleaning my gun.

Just MHO.

18. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Estates were once made in Texas, until Federal bought them out.

19. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Thank You Ian for reaffirming what I had already read, even though it was several years ago.

Mike, I also like the Win. shells as well. It hard to beat there wad in any of there shells, even if the shot is only the 3 percent type. Also like you I use my reloads more than any other shell, and all of reloads have the Win. AA clone wad, and in all gauges as well!!! Now if I were to only shoot 12 ga. and not bother to reload well, its hard to beat the Estates for quality and price!!! break em all Jeff

20. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

The 4.77 shells at our walmart are federal 1 oz field loads not top guns and therefore probably have chilled shot in them,and they kick like a mule.Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.