1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Federal Top Guns

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by REDD04, Aug 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. REDD04

REDD04 TS Member

I just got back into shotshell reloading after a 20 year break. My favorite cheap shell is the Top Gun 1 1/8 oz, 1200 fps., 7.5 shot. So in an attempt to duplicate this shell, I cut one open. What I found was 17 grains of a flake powder, a two piece wad (an over-powder wad with a very stiff post and a separate 4 petal stiff shot cup), and shiny nice looking round shot.

So here's the question.....what kind of wad is this? My Lyman reloading manual does not show anything similar to this wad.

This has been a very good load for me and I want to be able to duplicate it's performance on the clays. Any suggestions for components as I feel that this is a proprietary wad for Federal and is unavailable to the reloader.

REDD

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I know of no 2 piece wads available today. Most shooters use one of these 3 wads. My favorite Win AA. then their is Rem. fig. 8 wad, also very good. Then their is the 8 pedal Windjammer type wad. All of these wads can also be found in take off's from other wad companies. Down range, Claybuster and their are a few more. I would stick with one of these wads. I also happen to like Hodgdon's CLAY'S Powder. It drops very evenly every time and is a nice softer type fast burning powder(clean too). Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

3. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

I don't think that Federal offers the 2 piece wad for sale to reloaders.

Since you are trying to duplicate the ballistics of the Top Gun shell, I would recommend that you use Federals 12S3 wad. You can also check out any of the discounted wads made for the straight wall hulls.

The Win WAA12 and Rem Fig 8 wads are designed for tapered hulls like the Rem STS/Nitro/Gun Clubs and Win AA. FYI the "New" AA were designed with a base wad that gives the hull about the same volume as the older 1 piece compression formed AA.

My 2003 IMR powder guide has the following load for Fed plastic Gold Medal and Top Gun hulls. Fed 209A, Fed 12S3 wad, 18.5 grs of HI-SKOR 700-X = 1205 f/s w/ 9500 psi.

Confirm with the link above, but Hull type only has Gold Medal.

Jason

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Federal 12S3 for 1 1/8 and the Federal 12S0 for 1 oz, or the Claybuster Clones (CB2118-12 and CB2100-12). Red Dot or Promo work well for powder. 18.0 - 18.5 grains for 1 oz and 18.0 for 1 1/8 for starters. Use the Federal 209A primer. Data for the Federal hull with the paper base wad can be used. Lyman's fourth edition listed loads for several wad and powder combinations and the loads listed above appear to be under their listed loads for powder weight and pressure. These loads absolutely SMOKE targets, especially the 1oz.

5. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

With about 19 Gr. of Green Dot, a Blue Duster wad, and 1 1/8oz of hard 7 1/2's you will have a better then original shell. Ran them thru a cronograph and it showed right around 1230 fps.

Big Jack

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.