1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Federal Top Guns vs Estate Target Loads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr. Dirt, May 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Dirt

Dr. Dirt TS Member

Is there any difference between them? I have cut both apart and can not see any. Your opinions please.

2. kemco01

kemco01 TS Member

They smell the same when I shoot them.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

They both have the same parents.

4. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Tomatoes toe-mah-toes.....

5. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Shot sucks on most but okay for up front! Tom Rhoads

6. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

same thing, just different name

7. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Still better than all of us.

8. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

According to a shooting mag I read several years back the Estates had 5-6% antimony in there shot and the Top Guns had only 3%. I do not know if they are still that way today. Maybe you could run some kind of hardness test on the shot and let us know??? Break=em all. JEff

9. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

They are the same load.

10. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Pull and Mark. That was b4 Federal's parent co. bought them. They have the most varied (in size) shot I've seen but they still break hcp targets out of my barrels very well. I'm not afraid to take either to the line in competition.

As far as antimony, I haven't checked them but I'll bet it varies as well.

11. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Setterman, I've cut open Rio's and Keman's as well. The hulls are both Cheddites with the same exact primers,powder, and wads, the shot looks the same as well. But even the factory says the Rio's are 3% and the Kemans are at lest 5%. I've never tried testing any shot antimony, Have you??? I'd trust a independant company to give better stat's than a "In House" factory rep. like Rio and Keman. But the mag. had theirs tested as well, and verified the same results as these two advertise. just where are you getting your info from??? Break-em all. Jeff

12. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I haven't noticed any real difference between the two shells as far as performance and patterning. I can't say anything about shot hardness or antimony content, since I have no real data either way. The older Estates in the Cheddite Hulls were decent, but now that they are made by Federal, who knows. The shot does seem a bit inconsistent in both loads, so I don't have the greatest confidence that the size or quality of shot is the best. I can say that I never had one not go off and never had a punky sounding load of either. I have had a few that missed the targets, but who knows what was at fault there. :)

13. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Jeff, 2 years ago, I shot doubles with a Federal factory rep at the Ohio State shoot. He was shooting the top guns. I asked him about the Estates. He said they are the same load, made on the same equipment with different dye in the hull color, and different printing. I didn't ask him about the shot hardness.

He said they use various mixtures of proprietary powders, which I think means they mix left over powders from primary runs and use it in the cheaper loads so they can get rid of "batches" of powder after a shell run.

I would expect them to mix different batches of shot too so they can get rid of it.

14. wineguy

wineguy TS Member

Another question is the size mix on the shot load. Does a #7 1/2 marked shell have a large percentage of #8 or #9 shot?

15. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I can't tell a difference. I think they are both a good value. My goal is to become a good enough shooter such that I actually need better quality ammo than this.

16. trap72

trap72 Member

THEY ARE THE SAME LOAD. THE COMPONENTS ARE THE SAME. BUT I LIKE ESTATE BETTER, THEY SEEM TO ME THAT ESTATE IS BE A BETTER LOAD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
estate game and target load review
estate target load

estate target load review

estate target loads review
estate trap loads
federal target load review
federal top gun target load
top gun vs estate