1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Federal top gun reload question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by WI Trapshooter, Aug 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WI Trapshooter

WI Trapshooter TS Member

I am wondering if yo can reload federal top gun shells. I have a large box of them sitting around and thought i would try them, even if i just use them once. Could I just use the same data as gold medal hulls.

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Absolutely. Just do what you see on the recip for the powder that you choose.

3. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

WI Trapshooter:

It has been dropped from the current on-line reloaders guide but Alliant published Top Gun data for 25 years or so. It includes ounce and an eighth loads using Red or Green Dot. There are recipes for either 1145 and 1200 fps.

If you're interested, drop me a PM and I'll list the details.

sissy

4. midalake

midalake Banned User Banned

I am just in the process of my third reloading of theese hulls with about 4000 of them. I am dropping them as I shoot. The load combo I have put through these for 12,000 shots is 18.2g promo, Claybuster red figure-8 federal replacement, and Fiocchi primer, 1 1/8 shot. I shoot these for my 16yd and second shot in doubles. I must say it has been one of the most target crunching loads I have ever shot. With this combo, you will get some "off sound" loads when the tempetures drop. However I feel it has NEVER cost me one target in the 12,000 firings. my average is over 97. Any other questions fire away.

GS

5. grunt

grunt Well-Known Member

I load them with 700X about 17grs. 1oz shot/12so wad. shoot once a drop.

6. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I load them w/Rio Primer, 18.9 Promo Windjammer wad 1 1/8th oz 7 1/2s.

I reload them 2 times max and then pitch em.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

7. shootman

shootman TS Member

I load top guns for singles and my grandson shoots them on the 21 yrd, line. My load is 18.5 gr. solo 1000 ,dr12so wad ,1oz.#8shot ,fiochi primer and they smoke birds. good luck BOB

8. grumpyduck

grumpyduck TS Member

The Top Guns have a seperate base wad so you need to ensure they have not been wet inside the hull and be aware that the base wad may seperate after multiple reloadings or getting wet. I reload and shoot them in a break action gun so checking the barrel to ensure there are no obstructions. (base wad) I used to reload and shoot once only when using an auto loader, especially in places where you couldn't pick up your hulls.

9. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

The Federal Top Guns, Estates, and the rest of the paper base wad style hulls can be loaded a few times without too many issues. I use the Federal 12S3 for 1 1/8 oz and the 12S0 for the 1 ounce. There are a few clones that work quite well, such as the Claybuster CB 2100 and CB 2118, plus the Downrange DRF3. Downrange does NOT make a clone of the 12S0 for 1 ounce.

There are several points you need to know. These hulls should NOT be used if the basewads ever get wet. You can usually see if the have by inspecting the interior of the hull. The swelling should be apparent. The Primer pockets will loosen after one or two loadings and gas will leak around the primer. Using a standard 209 for the first loading and then an oversized primer for the second will usually alleviate the problem. I use the Federal 209A on the first loading and the Rio G600 for the second. They don't get loaded for a third time, since I toss them before that.

My usual loads are as follows:

Federal 209A or Rio G600 primer, Federal 12S0 wad or clone, 1 oz of hard shot, 18.2 grains of Promo or Red Dot. This will give about 1200 fps.

Federal 209A or Rio G600 primer, Federal 12S3 wad or clone,l 1/8 oz of hard shot, 18.7 grains of Promo or Red Dot. This will give around 1200 fps.

Green Dot, Clay Dot, 700-X, or any suitable powder can be used. Loading data for the Federal Gold Medal hulls can be used. Your velocities will probably be just slightly lower than what is listed for the Gold Medals. Just try to stay away from loads that list over 10,000 PSI and you should be fine.

The usual failures in these hulls are primer leakage and the tubes separating from the head. It happens infrequently, but it can happen.

10. Recoil Sissy

Fellow Posters:

I've reloaded Top Gun hulls for approximately 25 years and they're one of my favorites. However, I've always used data published by Hercules and its successor Alliant.

Several of you have listed recipes using:

700X, Clay Dot, or Solo 1000 powders

Windjammer and Claybuster's Red Figure 8 wads

Rio and Fiocchi primers

I'd like to experiment with some of your suggestions but none of the on-line data sources for those products list any of the combinations you specified. Unfortunately, I haven't found any of your suggestions in older manuals from Dupont/IMR, Accurate Powders or any other source either.

Would you be kind enough to share your data sources so I can confirm velocities, chamber pressures, and such??

Thanks in advance. sissy

11. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Recoil Sissy:

At the present time, I only reload 2 types of loads. The 1 oz. for singles and both shots of doubles and 1-1/8 oz. for long yardage handicap. Also, I only use magnum 7-1/2 shot.

My recipes for Estates, Top Guns, Walmart MP's and Gold Medal hulls:

1oz. - Federal 209A primer, 12S0 (or clone) wad, 17 grs. of 700X. 1200 fps.

1-1/8 oz. - Federal 209A primer 12S3 (or clone), 19.5 grs. of 700X. 1250 fps.

Curt

12. Recoil Sissy

Curt:

Thanks for the additional recommendations but I'm still looking for data references. Who tested and published the loads?

Thanks again. sissy

13. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Recoil Sissy...

I received my data from the Hodgdon website. They do not mention Estate, Top Gun or the Walmart Mp by name, they do mention the Federal plastic hull with the separate base wad.

Curt

14. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Recoil Sissy

The Rio G600 Primer is designed for a large capacity straight walled hull. The Federal 209A is also a similar primer used in such hulls. Using the G600 in place of the Federal 209A in a load that develops fairly low pressures to begin with, should not present a problem with regards to high pressures. Both loads I supplied were verified with the Federal 209A primer and are within the limits of published data from Alliant in the 2005 Catalog and loading manual. These loads would normally develop somewhere between 8000 and 9000 PSI, acccording to the data. Substitution of the Rio G600 should not present an issue, since both primers are similar in intensity and consultation with several sources, including Alliant, bears out the viability of such a substitution.

According to Alliant, they claim that the Federal Gold Medal data will work with the Top Gun hulls, provided you are not selecting loads producing near maximum pressures. The data for the Top Guns, Estates (Federal Manufacture), Wally World Specials, etc, would be listed under the "12 Gauge, 2 3/4" Federal Hi Power Plastic Shells with Rolled Paper Base Wad."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

800x federal top gun

fed paper reload data

fed platic hull with paper basewad 700x loads

federal hull reload green dot recipe

federal top gun 700 x powder reloads

federal top gun green dot

imr handloads for federal 12 gauge paper base field shot shells

loading federal paper shells with 700 x powder