1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Federal Top Gun Reload Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pcrc11, Apr 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pcrc11

pcrc11 TS Member

I would like to reload some Federal Top Gun for shooting skeet with a semi auto. I know they can only be reloaded one time, and that is the reason I would
    like to use them as I would not have to reuse them off the ground. Also our
    club sells them and would have access to all the empty hulls I want. My question
    is does anyone have a recipe. I am currently using Claybuster pink wads 1oz,
    18.0 gr Titewad powder and Noble Primers for my AA/ Rem hulls. Can I use this
    for the Top guns as well? I have heard you must use Federal wads with Federal
    shells, would this only for the Gold Medals? Thanks You for any info

2. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I use the same recipe for Top Guns as I do for Gun Clubs. I load a "low end" 1 oz load and use a Downrange XL-1 wad, Fiocchi primer and 17 grains of Promo. They go off, are low on recoil and the best part of it is; if I point the gun in the right direction the target breaks. Hey, isn't life grand when everything comes together!! Ed

3. don q

don q TS Member

Want to try something really sweet use the same stuff as esoxhunter with 16.5gr of e3, you'll think just the primer went off and the target will break. don q

4. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

You can use Federal Gold Medal loading data for the Top Gun hull. You should use only wads designed for a straight walled hull in the Top Gun hull (Gold Medal too). That means Federal wads or the Claybuster equivalents.

If you use a wad designed for a tapered hull you will have powder migration and poor performance due to lack of sealing.

Gualandi makes some nice wads for the straight wall hulls. They work good in the Top Gun hull.

Jim Skeel

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

This has been covered many times before.

18.2 grains of Red Dot or Promo, Federal 12S0 wad or Claybuster clone, Federal 209A primer or Rio 600, 1oz of decent shot gives about 1200 fps over my chronograph. 18.7 grains of Red Dot or Promo, Federal 12S3 wad, Claybuster or Downrange clone, Federal 209A or Rio primer, 1 1/8 oz of decent shot gives around 1200 fps over my Chrono. These loads have been tested at fairly cold temps and have given good results. The Downrange clone of the 12S3 works pretty well. All pattern testing was decent for all of these loads. The Federal wads seemed to be marginally better, but the 12S3 and the Downrange DRF8 seemed about equal. Testing was done at different times, so the results were within a reasonable margin of error, considering only ten samples were fired of each load. I don't have pressure data for these loads, but data for higher velocity loads using the same components were well within limits, so I'd expect these to be under 9500 psi.

I load them with the Federal 209A primer the first time around and then load them the second time with the larger Rio G600 and then toss them. That way the primer will be sure to seal well for two loadings. They often leak around the primer after the first reloading.

I shoot a gaspipe and these loads will function the action in all semi-autos I've tried.

Clays powder will also work, but I use Promo due to the lower cost. Check for data on Hodgdon's site before using Clays. You can usually use data for the Gold Medal hulls without being too far off. Just don't load anything approaching the higher end of the pressure spectrum. (nothing over 9500 - 10,000 PSI)

Results with wads intended for tapered hulls was not very consistent and powder migration was an issue with several. I would suggest that you use wads intended for the hull you are using and avoid some potential issues. The Federal 12S0 wads are hard to beat. Even the Claybuster clone (CB2100-12) does well enough.

6. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Alliant say load them like the federal GM hull.

7. okieshootist

okieshootist Member

This recipe is out of an old hercules manual. It is listed as for federal league casings which are the same as top gun. It is 18.0 grains reddot, 12S3 wads, 1 oz shot and fed primer. I load downrange XXL orange wad instead of 12S3 and 209A primers. Oklieshootists (David H)

8. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

My favorite 1 oz. load and it cycles through a autoloader with no problem.

Top Gun/Estate/Walmart MP/GM hull:

1 oz. hard shot, 17 grs. of 700X. 12S0 wad, 209A primer.

This load is spec'd @ 1200 fps.

It'll work for skeet, SC's, trap singles and both shot's of doubles and short yardage 'caps.

Curt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
federal 209a shotgun reload data
reload federal top gun
reload top guns
reloading federal gold medal hulls
reloading federal gold medal hulls with titewad
reloading federal top gun
reloading federal top gun shells

titewad in federal top gun 1oz reloads