1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Federal -- Top Gun Misfires

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by tjwatc, Mar 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tjwatc

tjwatc TS Member

My Dad and I have recently had problems with a bunch of Federal Top Gun shells. The primer has been struck, but did not fire the shell. We are wondering if it is us, or if anyone else has been having problems. We are using different guns (Model 12 and 101). I have been able to take 3 of his 5 misfires and get them to go off in my gun.

Just thought that I would ask.

Thanks

2. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

I've seen them with hard primers, but mostly the ones that don't go off the primers are set too deep.

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Some guns do not like some shells or primers. My K-80 does NOT like Nobel primers. I almost never shoot factory ammo, so I do not know if it likes Fed Top Gun or not.

My Cynergy shoots anything. It knocks the cold he)) out of a primer. It LOVES primers that make my Krieghoff go CLICK. LOL

4. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Had this problem with my 3200. Replaced the hammer springs and havent had any further problems...

5. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

The Federal Primers are rounded as opposed to flat. Some firing pins strike the primer off center. A slightly short firing pin will often times not hit the primer sufficiantly to cause discharge on the first strike but often will fire on the second in the same gun or another gun. I have a Browning Citori that the bottom barrel often has this problem. My Perazzi doesn't have any problem with the bottom barrel when shooting Federal Top Guns. Post-2

6. Gunnerandbabe

Gunnerandbabe TS Member

Head space rings in M12 need to be replaced after time.

7. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

I've had that problem with both my Brownings and several members of my club won't even buy them to shoot in their Brownings. We got together one evening and measured how far each gun's bottom firing pin protruded from the receiver. The shortest measured .031", the longest measured .042" and had only very rare problems with Federal primers. A machinist member using a carbide tool turned .015" off the shoulders of some new bottom firing pins for us and now none of us has trouble with Federal primers. The pins also retract completely when the action is closed.

Morgan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.