1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Federal Top Gun Hulls

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dberman, Nov 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dberman

dberman Member

Having trouble with wad insertion with Top Gun. Been using CB 3118 and the wad gets cocked and all hell breaks loose. Please, any suggestions especially about which wad is best? I have just ordered a flair tool and I'm sure it will make a difference, but I still need advice as to wad and or any other advice would be great. Are these the same as Fed. Gold Medals?
    Thanks in advance, David.

2. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

What brand of loader do you use?

Ajax

3. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

As per Ajax what loader, check the wad guide for missing-broken-bent fingers also be certain that the fingers are going into the hull deep enough.

No they are not the same as GMs but loading is similar, I load mostly STS & some Gun Club but have tried a few of the Top Gun hulls & they loaded and shot just fine, load once maybe twice & toss, you can usually pick up a clay tgt box of Top Guns free after any shoot so why try to squeeze blood out of a turnip. Ross Puls

4. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

I use them as my throw away case when traveling to a shoot and don't want to mess with carrying the cases back. I load them on a MEC and have never had any trouble.

Ajax

5. dberman

dberman Member

Thanks for all the responses. I have a 800B PW. The wad hits the crimp and it is cocked and the mess begins. The hulls are once fired. How do I get the wad finger deeper into hull as suggested by Ross?

Thanks.

6. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

I have the pw 2000 so I assume the wad guide is the same. The wad guide is two pieces and can unscrew or if it isn't clean it won't go down and feed the wad into the hull. The inner part of the wad guide must drop down as the wad is pushed into the hull or it will hit the hull edge.
    It's not the hull.

7. dberman

dberman Member

Thanks...will inspect wad unit.

8. shoobedoo

shoobedoo Member

I occasionally reload some of the Top Gun hulls on my MEC Grabber, they actually crimp up fine, and shoot good, I reload them once and then toss, as there's no need to try and get multiple reloads out of them because I can pick them up once fired by the bucketful at any practice session. A word of caution about these hulls: They utilize a compressed paper basewad, there have been reports of these basewads coming loose and getting lodged in the barrel, a potentially disastrous situation if another shell gets fired without clearing the obstruction. For this reason, I only use these in a break open gun where I can physically see down the bore after each shot, for safety's sake I would avoid using reloaded Top Guns in a pump or semi-auto.

[​IMG]

9. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Shoobedoo knows his stuff. Listen to him.

10. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

Loaded thousands of them - Top Gun and Fed. Field & Range - no problems, do not let get damp or wet - 2 reloads and toss.

12SO wad (CB clone) for 1 oz. and or, DRXL-1 (neon green).

12S3 wad (CB clone) for 1 1/8 oz. and or, DRV.

If your loader has a resizer, shouldn't be a loading problem with the above 4 wads. The reason I like them is that you can take both loads up to 1300fps. without going over the top on pressure. Great patterns using E3 and Green Dot respectively - good luck with it.

11. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Check the lengths against some other cases. You might have a batch that were cut a bit long and the tops of the cases contact the wad fingers. I've never had that problem with Top Guns but anything's possible!!

12. shoobedoo

shoobedoo Member

QUOTE: "12S3 wad (CB clone) for 1 1/8 oz...."

That's my wad of choice for the straight walled Federal hulls and 1 1/8 oz. loads. For what it's worth, the Top Gun type hulls crimp up at least as nice as the Gold Medal, Federal's "premium" plastic target hull, at least that's been the case on my MEC Grabber, go figure...??

13. dberman

dberman Member

Thanks for all the responses-all good information and useful.

14. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

I load these once and toss. I have noticed that they are less consistent in length than the cheapo Rems. Particularly if you are mixing the different colored ones. I have no idea why that may be, but the crimps are less consistent than the Rems as a consequence. That is not to say that it is a problem, just an observation.

FWIW, I use the CB Fed copy wads and have never had a problem w/ those in any case.

15. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

When you look at the two chinese finger torture thingeys (some refer to them as wad guides) you'll notice the one to the right looks just fine. No broken fingers or cracked rim. At the very first indication there's a wad insertion issue, that evil little thing gets replaced. Be sure to insert your finger down through the top of the torture orifice before unscrewing the little bugger.... not! Swap out the old one for a new one and your problem will go away.

best....mike

16. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Two weeks ago my local Gander Mountain had bags of the ClayBuster 12S3 wads marked down from $16.99 to $10.00 on a close out. I bought a bag jest because there are so many Top Guns and Estates laying around after every shoot. Might want to check your local GM., if you need a bag or two.

Wayne

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

federal gold medal shot hulls vs federal top gun hulls