1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Federal Top Gun ammo

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by USMC Goose, Mar 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. USMC Goose

USMC Goose Member

Never shot the federal top gun shells before and was just wanting to know if they are a good shell? I found them for 49.99 for a case on rogers sporting goods but didn't know if that was a good price or not.

2. msmith

msmith Member

These are good low price shell. Shot my 1st 100 straight with them. Mike

3. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

I have shot them in the past, they worked fine and at $50 per case that is a pretty good buy.

Oscar

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

They are an excellent shell and if you get to where you are able to shoot better than this ammo is capable of, you will probably have other people paying your shooting expenses.

$50 per case in an excellent retail price on these - buy a bunch.

5. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I'd buy as much as I could afford at that price. You can't go wrong. Good Luck and break em all Jeff

6. KS-OKIE

KS-OKIE TS Supporters TS Supporters

USMC Goose:Are you in the Kansas City area ? Last time I was in Rodgers the Top Gun and Estate trap loads was $47.95 per flat out the door everyday price.I`ve shot alot of both and like them.I like the light 8`s for 16`s and both birds of dbls.I`m sure the prices of these cannot stay below $50.00 for much longer...John Wiegand KS-OKIE.

7. USMC Goose

USMC Goose Member

No i am actually in Tennessee. The 49.99 price is on their website. I use rodgers for my steel shot and they also have great deals on decoys and blinds as well.

8. Dustoff

Dustoff Member

Check their shipping fees, they can be quite high.

9. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Outdoor Sports and Vances here in Columbus, Ohio have the Top Guns for $49.99 I bought some today. 3 Dram 7.5s

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

10. moore5833

moore5833 TS Member

My Grandson shot his best score-in a blowing snowstorm 2 weeks ago with these shells,actually the red,white and blues they have out right now. The light 8 shot. Perry

11. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I believe Fed Top Guns/Estates represent your best value for the dollar when it comes to 12s and 20s. Quality isn't that much lower then the premium stuff, and the price is significantly lower. I'd take them as soon as I would AA or STS.

12. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Fantastic, reliable economy shell. I've shot several thousand of the 1-1/8oz ones since last fall at 46.99/flat and haven't had a single blooper or dud.

The only gripe I've heard was from a guy who shoots a Winchester Select Energy which, as it turns out, has trouble making any brand shell go off (at least his particulat one). His forend broke too, which he likely blamed on the Top Guns as well, LOL.

-Gary

13. The Literalist

The Literalist Well-Known Member

Good shells...and made in the USA.

14. frostyman

frostyman Well-Known Member

Roger's in Kansas City normally lists the items on their web site for the same price they are in the store. If they ship them out of state you don't have to pay the sales tax so you are saving about 7% that helps offset the shipping cost.

As for decoys, if you have never been to the store, you would be amazed. There has to be several trailer truck loads of every decoy imaginable there. And that is not including the warehouse. I guarantee that they probably have more than about any store in the nation.

As for lead shot, they mainly carry Federal and they buy in very large bulk.

15. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Those things have been around for 40+ years. Even back then guys loved 'em. Shot them by the bushel. They stopped for a while & then came back out with them. They are much better that the Estate. That is a decent price. Maybe the Rem Club is a bit better if same $$???

16. Bill Roberts

Bill Roberts Active Member

Wal-Mart here in Tri-City's WA
    Has them on clearance for $45. Just bought 6 flats. Only 1 oz but they
    will go bang.

Bill

17. SB4J

SB4J Member

Bill; you bet they'll go bang. Appxox. 40k fired. one misfire and it went on the second attempt. good performers from all yardage in all manner of guns.

18. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Well-Known Member

....this won't matter to some, but I bought a flat of Federal Top Gun target loads last week. No problem with the way they break clays but they stink to high heaven...at least to me. It may just be me, but the smell is offensive enough I won't buy any more of them.

...and I really find spent gunpowder to be rather pleasing most times.It usually smells like FUN!

I'm a country boy raised on a Dairy...so not much bothers me odor wise, till this S%^& came along. Maybe the batch I bought had spoiled..LOL! I had to quit hanging my gun on my shoulder between stations...my nose was too close to the breach.

I'd like to know if anyone else had noticed this ...or if it was a freak occurence..?

Stan..

19. fly

fly Active Member

Say goodbye to your firing pins in your K or P gun.

20. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

USMC goose, and all others, Do you realize that the "Red, White & Blue" Federal Top Guns are a source of funding for "The Wounded Warriors Foundation". With every purchase, Federal makes a donation to The Wounded Warriors. I have 10 flats as of now. My wife was "Volunteer of the Year" at Andrews AFB during Nam. She saw the info and told me that the Red White & Blue shells were what I was going to shoot for sgl.s & doubles this year. She didn't need to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.