1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Federal Smoothie Hulls Shooting Off

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Apr 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

How many have had the New Federal Smooth Side Hulls Shoot Off.

Have not had problems with the Federal Ribbed Hulls.

GB
    DLS

2. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I have shot many thousands of the smooth Gold Medal plastic hulls, loaded several times each, with no problems.

I load a Nobel Sport primer, 19.3 grains of Green Dot, Claybuster 12S3 clone wad and 1 1/8 oz. of 7 1/2's. This load is slightly less and 2 3/4 dram speed.

I load on a MEC 9000G and load the smooth hulls until I get splits at the crimp end. Most hulls are good for 5 or more reloads and some may go over 10 reloads.

That said, my understanding is that Federal has retired the smooth hull and brought back the ribbed hull. I am still loading some ribbed hulls from back in the 1990's as you can't seem to wear them out. I use the same load for the ribbed hulls except I load them with 8's. Now, with Federal bringing back the ribbed hull, the old ribbed hull gets tossed after firing.

Ed Ward

3. gary0920

gary0920 Member

One of the guys on the squad had one separate last week. It moved about 3" into the forcing cone. Got it out by sticking a dime in the base of a wad and pushing thought the muzzle end with a rod. The separated hull came out with the wad. Tried a wad without the dime first but the wad collapsed.

4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Now this really makes me wonder!!! People will bash the Win. AA's for the basewad all day long, but no one sees a problem with reloading the Federal smoothies. They are a real pain in the backside to get the plastic hull out of the barrel too. If you were shooting doubles with a autoloader and the first shells plastic went down the barrel enough for the second shell to load in barrel and fire there would be a big problem!!! But no one has blamed this on any barrel bulges or blown barrels. Must be luck I guess. Winchester fixed their problem before the public knew of one, but Federal made the smoothies for years. Reload whatever you like, I guess I needed to vent. Break-em all. Jeff

5. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

What makes the ribbed hull better? Does anyone know?

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

"What makes the ribbed hull better"

The ribs make the hull more rigid thus usually increasing the number of reloads per hull. This is the case with most makes. Remington Gun Clubs are ribbed hulls and they will outlast a STS/Nitro. I don't care for reloading the steel base hulls though.

7. School Teacher

My understanding is that the plastic in the older Federal ribbed hulls was very strong and that some of the first batches of the plastic in the Federal smooth hulls had issues.

I asked a Federal rep at last years grand about this issue and he said that Federal went back to the ribbed hull because of negative issues about the new smooth hulls. He said that his understanding was that there were some hull separations in some brands of high end trap guns. Another Federal rep I met at the Kentucky state shoot said that the reload life of the smooth hull was less than the older ribbed hull.

I used to shoot a lot of Federal papers and reload then 3-5 times so hull separation was a somewhat frequent occurrence. As I shoot an 870 TC, I am used to checking to see that I get a complete hull (or pieces) out of the gun after each firing.

Two years ago, I had two Remington Nitro 27 gold hulls, that had been reloaded umpteen times, separate with the hull above the brass leave the barrel.

My suggestion is whatever hull you reload, you get into the habit of making sure that the entire hull is recovered from the hull on each shot.

If you shoot an auto loader or pump for doubles, shoot new shells.

A little off topic comment is that the early smokeless powder rifle cartridges like the 30-30 Winchester sometimes had brass splits. The Older Marlin lever guns, all of which to my knowledge had side ejection, had "Marlin Safety" written in script on top of the receiver. I have seen a few of these so I know that this marking did exist.

Ed Ward

8. LDAdd

LDAdd TS Member

Re the Federal smoothies...there have been many separations in various guns around here to the point that no one will even pick up once-fired Feds off the ground.

Mr. Ward...
    Do you think there is a chance you are trying to get way too many loads out of your shells? I (and many others here) load STS and Gun Club maybe 6 or 7 times max and other than crimp wear, I have yet to see one separate ala the Feds, but then again, it's your gun...JMO,

Cheers and have a good day...

Larry

9. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I even had new hulls seperate. The only way I could get them out was like the way Gary 0920 described. I put aroud 5000 once fired hulls in the burn barrel and went to Remington hulls. Even to this day I really liked the Federal hulls but got tired of pounding out the seperated pieces.

10. PhillyD

PhillyD Member

I shot several flats of Gold Medals last year without a problem. Then in the last 3-4 months the hulls have been coming apart and sticking in my barrel. I've had at least a dozen or so in the last 3 flats. All new shells, smooth hulls. Federal told me they were changing back to ribbed hulls. Haven't seen any yet. I have to carry around a 28ga empty to clear my barrel. School Teacher, The rep also told me it happens in high end guns. Sounds like Horse Sh!t to me Can't wait to shoot them up and get some NITROS.

Philly D

11. School Teacher

Philly D:

I bought 5 flats of the new ribbed Federals from Gamilia at the Grand last year. They load and shoot great. I am sorry to hear about other shooter's bad experiences with the Federal hulls. I like them and will continue shooting them. I plan to buy only the ribbed new ones from now on. However, I still have several flats of new smooth hulls to shoot up.

Ed Ward

12. Bill Roberts

Bill Roberts Active Member

I had two separate.(smooth) Both were first time reloads. It took three
    Of us over a haft an hour to get them out. Not worth it.threw 1500
    Away. Two flats loaded taking each one apart, slowly not worth it.

13. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

When you load them to the edge they blow off once in a while. I have had them do it before but never when I was loading just standard tyrap loads. They blow in half the same way the old Blue magics used to. Jeff

14. Quick 1

Quick 1 Active Member

These pictures are of the new improved Federal Gold Medals I purchased at the Grand last summer. One reloading!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Makes me kind of wonder why anyone would load any Federals at all!!! Problems with thier new fixed hulls as well. Break=em all. Jeff

16. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

We had a Rem separate last wk.---I'v been loading smooth Feds for yrs now and never a problem---Hope I didn't jinx myself---I yet to see a AA separate and they get the bad hipe---When we were young and a bit crazy we would shoot the caught wad out the bbl---never had a problem with that---The stuck hull is the real problem for auto's and pump's if shooting doubles,otherwise the stuck hull will show up on ejection and a few minutes to clear---I think most shooters will have tolerance to wait---Whats another few minutes for a once and awhile occurrence?---George@SJB---

17. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

My problem has been with BRAND NEW FEDERAL SMOOTH SHELLS, NOT RELOADED ONES.

That was the purpose of my post, was wondering about others expierencing this problem.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

18. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Gary---What % of the New Smoothies are you having a problem with?---I'v been shooting the New smoothies and not a separation yet and if one does occur it will only take a few minutes to clear---Are you using them in auto's or pump's?
    Note that we had a Rem separate last wk.If using in a break-open gun I don't see a big problem---JMO---George@SJB---

19. over/under

over/under Member

Been loading them for 8+ years. Had my first 1 separate 4/9. It was a smooth hull. It was the first time reloaded & shot off right above the brass. When I 1st started they were ribbed, then went to smooth, now back to ribbed.

20. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

I have loaded 13,000+ of the smoothies, no problems. (The 13,000 is multiple loadings per hull, as many as 5 times) I got these hulls from a shooting acquaintance that did have hull separations form the brass with the new shells.

So far I did not have any problems with the reloads. However, to play it safe I toss them after 5 loadings. The load is: 1 ounce of shot @ 1200 fps.

Frank

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.