1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Federal smooth hull stuck

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by fishguts, Aug 5, 2013.

1. fishguts

fishguts Member

Made the stupid mistake of trying to shoot up my last four boxes of Federals Gold Medal smooth hulls Sunday,....and sure enough one came apart, brass ejected and hull is stuck halfway down the barrel......Federal, go bankrupt and die.

Your friend,

Wayne

2. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Oh yeah, been there. Had the same feelings towards Federal. I love the ribbed hulls, but the smooth ones, well, not so much.

Bob

3. brownk80

brownk80 Member

Wayne, spray some Kroil down the barrel and let it set for a while. Get a 12 ga. tornado brush and pull it back from the muzzle. May take a little work but with enough Kroil it will come out. Good Luck.

4. whopper1

whopper1 Member

Put a wad in the end of the barrell and use a large wooden dowell rod. This usually works. If not,a 28 ga. hull works great.

Dave

5. dirk

dirk Member

I was there when it happened and it was pretty frightening. The hull was most of the was down the barrel, within 10 to 12 inches from the muzzle. This could have been a terrifying accident if the shooter had not been paying attention. Is this situation limited to a certain lot number and does anyone know if Federal is doing anything about the shells still out there?

6. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Best way I found was to take the choke out (if applicable) put a wad in the muzzle end with a dime in the wad and beat out the hull using a wood dowel. Most barrels taper so going from the muzzle end gets easier as you go.

7. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I had the same problem with both the smooth and ribbed hulls. Maybe it was my chamber, but about one per box would separate. Usually they would stick in the forcing cone, but sometimes in the barrel. Either way they were a bear to get out. The last time it happened there was no hull in the barrel. The whole thing, except for the brass and base just shot out the end of the barrel like a slug.

That was the last straw. I gave away thousands of Federal hulls (both ribbed and smooth) and sold all my Federal wads and primers. I stick with STS hulls now.

The whole thing made me so fed up I won't use Federal anything anymore. Not even Federal large pistol primers in my 45ACP loads.

8. fishguts

fishguts Member

Well, after two days and multiple trys I got it out.....so now I only want Federal to go into bankruptcy, not die......but I won't buy another box or bag of anything Federal

P.S. your Estate shells from France are nice.....maybe you should buy all your shells from Cheddite.

Your friend,

Wayne

9. August1940

August1940 Active Member

The hulls that separate, are they brand new, once or more reloaded, the ones with the paper base wad or all plastic?

Do just the smooth ones separate? or the ribbed ones too?

I have some once fired ribbed all plastic federal premium gold, and am now wondering what to expect. these hulls I have also have a slight higher brass bass than the other low brass AA's I am using.

Thanks Jack

10. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Sounds like a repeat performance of the old Remington "Blue Tragics" all over again. The good point about those was they usually went right out the muzzle like a slug..1/2 a case+wad+shot still crimped..seldom had one stay in the barrel. I have used the sharpened 12" dowel on a couple of the Federal cases with success. If you shoot them, use caution!

Big Jack

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The ribbed ones are good. HMB

12. Mario in QT

Mario in QT TS Member

I was shooting once reloaded Gold Medal Federals today and apparently there were some smooth ones mixed in with the ribbed ones. Shot normal, went to eject and got the brass only. The hull went out with the shot and wad. This was about a half hour after another friend mentioned that the Gold Medal smooth tend to do just that. From reading above I was lucky it did not get stuck in the barrel.

The interesting part was that I was trying out a friend's KX5 and he's sitting behind us... seemed to have taken it rather well.
    Mario.