1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Federal Shells not making them

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by emm2, Aug 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emm2

emm2 Member

Has anybody heard that Federal are going to quit making shells? Somebody talked to a Federal Rep and they said they were going to only make the ones that are sold to Walmart. I was just wandering because I wanted to try some of the paper shells.

2. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

I hope there is truth behind that because if there is they can produce much larger quantities and thusly flood the market with shells and drive the price down by sheer volume.

Yep ... I hope its true.

3. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

I don't know how many people knew this but I was poking around on the internet Alliant Powder who is really ATK ownes Federal and Estate .

Federal Cartridge Company

The Ammunition Industry's Technology Leader and pioneer of "Premium" ammunition

Eighty years in the making, Federal Cartridge Company is today the technology leader in the ammunition industry.

Located in Anoka, Minnesota, Federal is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Edina, Minnesota-based ATK, Alliant Techsystems. With a work force of nearly 1,000, Federal manufactures a complete line of shotshell, centerfire and rimfire ammunition and components.

http://premiumpartners.atk.com/general/company/our_brands.aspx

4. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

I have been unloading trap loads for over 40 years. The storey has never changed at the Big 3, we don't make any money on target loads, the profit is in hunting shells. Federal bought Estate to get capacity. emm2, at $98a flat, why would you want to go the extra $20. The guys making $$ shooting used to all shoot Fed paper but have switched to plastic.

5. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

John:

I'm not a hunter so I can not comment on that, but its seems to me that if I was can you actually shoot 1000 shells in a weekend of hunting ? Thats a lot of ducks.

6. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

But ... there is probably 5000 hunters to every clay target shooter.

Now if every hunter was to purchase just 1 box of shells a year that would be equal to 500 flats of ammo a year ... now how many clay target shooters are buying 500 flats of shells a year?

7. Marco Polo

Marco Polo TS Member

Years ago one of the Winchester Factory Reps. (willis Corbett) stated that the production of HIGH BRASS 6'S BY WINCHESTER exceeded the production of target loads by ALL AMMO MAKERS COMBINED !!!

8. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

Enough said. I had no Idea there were that many hunters out there. Thanks for the info I learn all kinds of stuff on here.

9. perga1

perga1 Active Member

Not all shotshells that aren't target loads are shot in hunting situations. The 2 trap club I shot at in MA would get a couple of dozen hunters before the start of every bird season and these guys would shoot far more shells practicing for bird season than they ever would hunting. Most of them shot Dove and Quail loads. The occaisional hunter may buy two boxes of shells for the season and then shoot what is left at the start of the following season, practicing. The ammo companies will never give Trap, Skeet, Sporting, 5 stand, Fitasc, ZZ Bird, or International trap their due because it would mean they would not have a good excuse for not giving more support to the target sports. JMHO, JRM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.