1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Federal Reloads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by woodchuk, Aug 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. woodchuk

woodchuk Member

I just started shooting last year and started reloading my own shells I usally use any kind of hulls.I mostly reload Federal ones have alot of them are they ok to reload or not had a guy last night they are not good to reload.New and looking for advise Thanks Rick

2. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Not good, too many seperating, do a search here. Jake

3. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I know many, including myself that successfully reload FGM hulls.

There was an issue, but it seems to have passed.

Guy Babin

4. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Fed. Gold Medals, Estates, Top Guns and Walmart Fed's all load great and use the same components.

Have at it!

Curt

5. Peasant

Peasant TS Member

Check the hulls before you reload and make sure the base wad hasn't separated and moved up...powder will get behind the base wad if it has and possibly come out and lodge in the barrel... if you don't notice the wad in your barrel...boom a bulged barrel...

6. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I reload about 5000 Federal Gold Medal plastics plus another 2500 STS hulls per year. The Federals are 1 1/8 oz loads and the STS are 1 oz. loads. I have not had a problem with wither hull.

That said, I shoot Remington 870's and 1100 - 11/87's and I do not shoot doubles. I am careful to ensure that I get a full hull for every round that I shoot. This is just simple common sense.

I used to reload a lot of Federal papers before the price on them went up. It was common for Federal papers to burn off the tube just above the brass if you reloaded them too many times. Whenever I shot a Federal paper, I just naturally looked for a complete hull. Over the years I had many paper hulls come apart but it was no big deal as you just picked the separated tube out of the chamber with a finger.

There has been several reports of Federal Gold Medal hull separation on this forum, even new shells. As such, I would not shoot doubles with an automatic firearm until this issue is resolved.

I like the Federal hull because it is straight walled and I really like the Federal 12S3 wad.

If you are just beginning to reload, IMO you will find the Remington STS hull and the Remington TGT12S (1 oz.) and the Remington Fig8S (1 1/8 oz.) wads to shoot well and to be a joy to reload. I use the Remington wads only as clones of these wads make a snapping sound in my MEC 900G.

If you reload for games, the Remington STS hull, Remington SP12 wad, 1 1/4 oz of magnum 6's or 7's, 25 grains of Alliant Herco and a Remington 209P primer makes a great long range load. This is a published load on the Alliant website.

Ed Ward

7. Hunter46spring

Hunter46spring TS Member

I just had a Federal Gold Medal seperate and lodge in my barrel. In talking to several people I have heard that the "old" ribbed Gold Medal's never seperate only the new smooth wall Gold Medal's. Has anyone else had the same experience? The one that just seperated was indeed a smooth wall

8. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I use the smooth FGM hulls for all my super-handicap loads, you can stuff a lot of powder in them. I've never had a problem with them, but the ones I have are a few years old.

As far as the base wad, I don't know about Top-Guns or Wal-Mat Federals, but the FGM has a base wad that is an integral part of the hull. Never heard or seen one move.

Wayne

[​IMG]

9. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Caution shooting NEW FEDERAL GOLD MEDAL W/SMOOTH HULL the HULL seperates from the brass and leaves the hull in the Bbl, I have had this happen numerous times and sent the BRASS base that was seperated to FEDERAL w/o any response.

I am speaking of BRAND NEW not re-loaded hulls, my mindet is if the seperate when new I do not want5 to reload them.

The FEDERAL GOLD MEDAL RIBBED SHELL I have not had a problem with.

I reload a ton of TOP GUN HULLS no problem, only GM SMOOTHIES.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

10. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I like any shell with a brass base---I shoot high grade guns and the brass is soft on the receiver---Never had a problem with a gold medal but keep tools handy for a seperation---When I use steel base hulls I can feel the friction when I close the action---also they are hard on the reloader---I am going to stick with my gold medals---Hope there will be no problems---just check ea used shell after the shot---Just my thought----sjb---

11. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Rick, Wecome to reloading and to this site. I think you should listen to Gary (Dr. Longshot) above as far as the ribbed and the smooth ones. Alot of shooters here have the seperation of plastic and brass with the plastic getting stuck down into the barrel. Its dangerous if you shoot another shell behind it if you don't know it stuck in there. I also will not load any of the economy type hulls with the metal bases (just like Southblue above). They may cause heavy wear on your breech face of your gun and they are hard on your reloader as well, so I will not use them. Use your Ribbed Federals, or go with Rem. STS's even if you have to buy them at 4 cents a piece it works out to like 1/2 cent a reload as you can load them 8 times maybe more. The Claybuster clone wads will make a snapping sound when reloading but are fine and will not hurt anything. The Duster line of wad work very well and do not make that snapping sound, but are only available in the Win. AA clone type wad and not the Fig. 8 type. Downrange has the Fig. 8 wad if you want to go that route. I like the Win. AA type wads and believe they are the best as they are the most copyied wad in the world, so that tells me something. Be sure to use published data for your reloading and Go to Alliantpowder.com if you use their powder or Hodgdon.com if you use their powder. Get and use a scale to make sure your powder drops are the correct weight and your good to go. Have fun and be safe. Break-em all. Jeff

12. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

One thing you can do with the smooth gold medal is try to see if the brass is lose by twisting it right and left as though you were trying to unscrew the brass from the hull---It takes a little time but well worth it---There is nothing fool proff but that is another safty---If one does come apart you will know if you catch the empty at ejection---Don't let them fly---it't easy to get into the habit of stoping the hull before it leaves the gun,that way you will always know if the brass left the hull---Some guys even check the bbl after ea. shot---not a bad idea---The seperation is one in many thousands---
    I have always reloaded FED's along with all other brass hulls---Just try to be smart and reloading will be a great part of trapshooting---Just my thoughts---

sjb---

13. dhip

dhip Active Member

I started reloading this year.I've reloaded federals,Winchester universals,gunclubs,etc.I usually set a part time to inspect each shell,checking for fatigue in the crimp area(splits)general condition of the shell,since reading this site I also check for wad migration on feds and wins,,also have read that Mec loaders( I have a 9000g)tend to be better to use on those shells due to the way the primer is reset into the shell...No problems so far,I do tend to load lite,and use 1 oz. loads.Enjoy reloading,and if you ever have component questions,contact the Powder company of the type you use.They all seem more than happy to answer and give you the info you need to reload safely.

Doug H.

14. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

I live in Rochester, NY and the Federal simi is at our local shooting supplier today and tomorrow. I stopped by and asked him if he was aware of the problem and he said he knew nothing about it. I told him to check this site. Bernie

15. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

Bernie

What is a "simi"

Mark

16. maka

maka Member

I reload Federal Top Gun hulls. Many people buy them at Wally World and usually throw them away. I have two friends who do this. I do shoot with them and ask them to save them for me. I carry an empty Wally World plastic bag in my shooting bag a have them dump them in when done shooting. This way I know they are once fired and never hit the ground. I reload once and discard in garbage. Top guns have a paper base wad that burns down after each firing. Reload once and dump.

17. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

G/M federal hulls are all I load. I have smooth hulls but have not reloaded more than 1000 so far. No problems with any of them after I went to the 12S3 wad exclusively.

I have loaded the ribbed G/M for eight years and have 10,000+- once fired left before I start loading smooth hulls on a regular basis. The paper hulls are great for a couple of reloads and toss them. I will most likely never load any of the smooth G/M hulls. And I have stopped collecting them at the club.

I have loaded all the popular hulls at one time but G/M are my hull of choice now. They are tougher than AA's as I get 18 reloads with the ribbed hulls under normal conditions. I only get about 8-10 out of the smooth G/M hulls and that is why I load the ribbed hull..

Rock

Jim

18. Borderland

Borderland Member

I too always imagined that the steel base hulls were harder to resize but I was surprised to discover while adjusting the collet on my MEC that the
    Wal-Mart Federal took less adjustment to properly fit the MEC go/no go shell checker than the WIN AA HS. Apparently the steel base is less resistant than the brass base on the AA HS. For both shells to properly resize I had to leave the collet slightly tighter to resize the AA HS.

Ken

19. woodchuk

woodchuk Member

Thanks for all the info I have loaded about 3000 federals and other ones to with no prolbem Thanks RICK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

gold medal hulls sp12 wad

reloading federal gold medal hulls