1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Federal Reloading Data (Top Gun)

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Tatanka Donk, May 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tatanka Donk

Tatanka Donk Active Member

I know that this has been addressed before but I can't find it. I have tried loaing 18.5 grains of Clays w/ a 123S wad and 11/8 oz shot and get a volocity range fron 1085 to 1140. I tried 5 shells and all had a different volocity. I put some wad pressure or the crimp want close. What am I doing wrong. Do I need a more dense powder. Thanks for the help. Don Kerce

2. ctreay

ctreay Member

I use the same data as for Gold Medals.

ctreay

3. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

Don, if you haven't tried 1 oz loads yet, here's my favorite load. I just load once-fired and I load them only once and then pitch them. I can't tell any difference in my scores and this load will thoroughly grind up the bird. Some nice advantages are that you'll save a little money on shot, you won't go home from those 200-bird singles events with as sore a shoulder, and EVERYBODY sells Red Dot (easy to find in stock & now very clean-burning). Here's the load (right off the Alliant website except for the primer swap):

Top Gun / Estate Hull

1 ounce magnum 8's

18.0 gr. Alliant Red Dot

Federal 12SO or the new Downrange DRFO clone of the 12SO

Fiocchi 616 Primer

This load should yield about 1200 FPS with a pressure of appx 8500 PSI

....Rick

4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

How "different" were the velocities?

Seemingly minor things like variations in wad pressure and crimp depth can make measurable differences in peak pressure and velocity.

Keller

5. pulllit

pulllit Member

If you are mixing the original thin walled maroon colored Top Gun hulls in with the much thicker walled red (maroon), white, and blue wounded warrior hulls then you may be experiencing a 50 fps different speed between the two wall thickness.

I was loading for a 1150 fps load with the wounded warrior hulls and switched to the original hulls and got 1100 fps with the same components and loader settings.

The multi colored hulls make a great looking reload and the crimp lasts much longer.

6. Tatanka Donk

I am using the PINK Top Gun Hulls.

7. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

The above link is to the Federal Site and includes reloading data for TopGuns, About half way down on the right side of page three. Mark

8. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

Have you weighed your shot charge?

9. Kevin Fleming

Kevin Fleming Active Member

Don, Ive never used Clays, but I know it is real fluffy. I used the TG empties a lot with another powder (Am Select)using a #31 MEC bushing and it fits really well. Solo works pretty well also. I am using Downrange clones of the S3. You may want to experiment with DR and Claybuster clones. Clones are close, but not exact copies and a slight change might make it come together for you. If the component stack doesn't fit well you will probably get inconsistent results.

Kevin

10. Tatanka Donk

Thanks All, I think I'll try some Red Dot.
    Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
federal 12so reloading data
federal clay and field reload data

federal reloading data

federal reloading manual

federal top gun reloading data

federal top shot reload data
reloading federal top gun
top gun reloading data