1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Federal Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by det131, May 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. det131

det131 Member

With all the comments regarding hull separations with some of the Federal hulls has anyone had any issues with the pink breast cancer Top Guns?

Picked up a couple of flats of them last week, my son is home from college this week and will be shooting with me on Tuesday. He shoots an auto-loader and I am hesitant to have him run these through it especially in doubles.

All opinions welcome.

Jim

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Jim--I believe the problems are with the Federal smooth hulls. The Top Guns are a heavier ribbed hull with steel base. If you must reload them make it a once and toss deal. Use in a break open where you can check your barrel after every shot. You will not have an issue if they are factory loads. Its a reload issue.--Matt

3. 3357

3357 Member

I have shot a bunch of federal top guns and never had a hull failure. My wife just shot a flat of the pink federals this week end at the Michigan team shoot with no problems of any kind.

4. det131

det131 Member

That was my recollection also, Smooth Gold Medals.

To the best of my knowledge we have not had any incidents at our club.

Don't think he was too keen on pink shells anyway, until he learned their purpose.

Likely no more hazard than the one you accept every time you pull the trigger.

Thanks for the replys.

Jim

5. markc2

markc2 Member

I've shot about ten cases of pink Top Guns so far with no issues at all. I've shot hundreds of cases of standard Top Guns and never had an issue with them either. Mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.